Snowball Bath Bombs!

kangarooblue

ok silly question. I made some of these yesterday (to switch up from my normal way and try something new) I was just wondering how rock hard they get. Mine are dry and hard.. but would crumble with pressure i think. I just wanted an idea to compaire to.. are you air tight packaging them to keep them from crumbling etc... sorry for all the questions. I love the feel of them in the tub and they were so simple that I can see this being something that I could definatly work with more often. I am just wondering if my end result is the same as other peoples.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been making these for some time now and the process has become sort of a habit. I made a batch last nite and here's exactly what I did. I measure all my dry ingredients in a deep stainless bowl. Then, I measured all of my "wet" ingredients in a glass measuring cup. I subbed the safflower oil with sweet almond oil (sometimes I use jojoba) and I used fragrance oil but used the exact measurment that the recipe states. I then sat on the floor indian style to allow my legs to hold the bowl. I SLOWLY poured the oil mixture into the dry mixture, a little at a time while constantly stirring with a wire whisk. Just add a little drizzle at a time but don't stop stirring (yes, your arm will get a major work out). Take your time pouring the wet phase into the dry phase to assure your stirring thoroughly. Once all the mixture is stirred thoroughly (it will feel like dampish wet sand), I started making the bombs quickly. I use the large bb press from KB. When using this press, I've found that you don't hold them open to scoop up the mixture. I keep it closed and pack the mixture through the little holes. As it gets full, I stick my finger into the hole to make sure it's packing tight. I know mine are ready when I can't get my finger through the hole at all. I then tap the press, kinda hard, on the counter a couple of times and then release only one side of the press, turn it over in my hand and let the bomb fall out of the other side. As far as hardness, mine are rock hard and they dry rock hard. I lay them all out on a brown paper grocery bag and let them sit for about a week. I've packaged them, individually, in cellophane bags and tied a bow on them and I've shrink wrapped them. I prefer the bag type packaging. One more thing...I NEVER use witch hazel like others have done. I tried it once and it tended to make mine loose and gritty. HTH

ha ha well I guess I was just impatient or, possibly too early as they are ROCK hard now lol... thanks for the reply! I am loving these its all I can do to stay out of the tub lol.. Definatly adding them to my love list lol... I will keep my other recipe for bubble bombs and do this one as regular. I tweaked the oil though to include coconut oil and grapeseed...and added some dead sea salt to the ones I just made... its wonderful!

Not an issue - first the very low pH (citric acid) is a good protectant. Second there is so little water that the other materials bind it up leaving nothing for the beasties to grow in. The beasties need a certain amount of active water to live, and this is an extremely low water activity product.

Like jam - the tons of sugar in there "bind" the water so the fruit doesn't go bad... cept in this case we have something even better - acid & baking soda!

ETA: My degree finally paid off! I've waited 22 years to use the phrase "low water activity"!!

Not an issue - first the very low pH (citric acid) is a good protectant. Second there is so little water that the other materials bind it up leaving nothing for the beasties to grow in. The beasties need a certain amount of active water to live, and this is an extremely low water activity product.

Like jam - the tons of sugar in there "bind" the water so the fruit doesn't go bad... cept in this case we have something even better - acid & baking soda!

ETA: My degree finally paid off! I've waited 22 years to use the phrase "low water activity"!!

THANK YOU! Wow, that's a great explanation, LOL ! I appreciate it!

If I wanted to add in some Dead Sea Salts to the recipe which of the dry ingredients would you suggest altering and in what ratio?

Will the DSS make the bombs fall apart or crumble? I bought the fine grain in hopes of using them in bath bombs but if it's going to cause problems I'll find another use for them.

I tried a few different variations last night and think I came up with a winner. The bombs packed very well and so far no cracks or crumbling. I'll be testing in the bath this evening to make sure it all dissolves.

Dry Phase

2 cups baking soda

1 cup citric acid

1/2 cup cornstarch

1/4 cup dry milk

1/4 cup dead sea salts (fine grain)

Wet Phase

1/3 cup Safflower oil

1 T. Fragrance

2 1/4 T. water

lol yep your right carebear but I have found that you can play with both slightly... I like to mix things up and will try out things until i break them down to learn how they work lol

This one will work still with a bit less BS or a bit less CA (I wouldnt take out as much of this though). lol ask me how I know lol... I stayed away from removing any CS though after reading what others on this thread had to say.

• 1 month later...

The answer might've been buried in here somewhere, but I didn't see it...

How long do these take to harden up? I'm afraid to touch them. I made them a couple days ago and just touched a little clump that was on the paper towel and it disintegrated :confused:

I made these last week, I think they took a couple of days to really harden up They did stay together but have big cracks in them... I do like them though!

I used this recipe:

Dry Phase:

2 cups baking soda

1 cup citric acid

1 cup cornstarch

Wet Phase:

1/3 cup Safflower oil

2 teaspoons FO

2 Tablespoons Aloe Vera Juice

Aloe Vera Juice in spray bottle

I also used the 80mm ornament balls.

How do I keep them from cracking?

It's a pretty safe bet that if they haven't hardened up with in 2-3 days max, they won't continue to get harder after that. At least, this is what i've learned in my minimal batches with quite a few failures in that dept, lol. The good ones will be hard the next morning/day and it will be obvious that they worked out.

I think the trick to preventing the cracks- in theory- is to be sure you are truly overstuffing the mold. Seems my cracks always begin at the point of adhesion (2 pc ornament) where it must not get equal pressure as the top and bottom points.:confused:

And i'm sure SOMEONE knows an ingredient that would also help in this area, lol. Gotta be a trick.:cool2: