What do you do with your pipettes??

ruba

Do you guys and gals reuse your disposable pipettes for your FO's & EO's?? If so how do you store and label them? I have been reusing them and storing them in a snack size ziplock baggie with the name on tape of the outside. But this is getting cumbersome as I keep adding FO's & Eo's to my shelf.

Any suggestions or ideas would be great to have. I am not the most organized person, but with kids, school and now my small business... I need to do things a bit more efficently that I am currently doing them.:confused:

TIA...I really appreciate it. You guys and gals ROCK when it comes to helping others out!!:D

Hugs,

Rachel

elleah & LindaColo-Thanks gals. I thought I had read that somewhere here...but could not find it in the serches I did.

How do you keep them from dripping...ya know the stuff that is still sliding down the inside walls a few minutes after??

Carrie- Where did you buy them from that cheap...mine came out to $.11 each. And I thought I had found a decent deal when I bought them after researching.

When I come home from San Diego (my true home) I will have to try your suggestions. I would love to see pics of how people organize their stuff and their workplaces. Maybe someday I will start a thread on that.:grin2:

Thanks again...I gotta go pack...oh the joy!!:tongue2:

Hugs,

Rachel

i reuse mine to. i tend to use the same scents over and over again so keeping them together seems to work.i no i am cheap but can not seem to trash them. when doing samples i rinse them out and use them next time i do samples.

I'll re-use them throughout the day, but they get tossed at the end. Oils are nice and sticky and I don't like the idea of dust getting on there and then getting put back into the oil.

Plus don't the FOs eat through the plastic baggies?

Straws is a good idea. Harder to control but with practice I bet they are just as accurate!

I do exactly what you do!! I have each one in a snack sized plastic bag, with the name labeled on the outside. I tried attaching it to the bottle, but it dripped all over the place. I think our method is the best one, but I DO know what you mean about them getting out of hand! I have one plastic bin, with over 100 pipettes in it! I hate digging through the bin to look for the one I'm looking for. Oh, I also have the company name I bought the FO from, on the label. I was considering buying small, plastic storage boxes for each supplier & then putting the pipette bags for their oils in them.

I can't remember the name of the supplier where I got them but you can get them at Qosmedix for .035 cents each.

http://www.qosmedix.com/catalog/part.asp?partno=29215

HTH

IMO, 3 cents isn't worth digging thru a bin to find the right pipette. I've only used about 200 of the 1000 in the past year.

That's a great price! Thanks for posting it!:D !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As for digging thru to find them: well, when you have 100's of oils from like 15 different suppliers and you are testing stuff every single day, and making finished products every single day, I'd be throwing out a ton of pipettes every day! That is why I save them. Thanks again for the new pipette source!!!:)

The ML graduations on pipettes are not necessarily particularly accurate, so be careful if using for something important like preservatives.

Just stick the straw into the bottle and put your finger over the top - when you pull the straw out the liquid will stay inside. The challenge is releasing it drop by drop to weigh out what you need...

I re-use mine for the day that I'm pouring. I tend to pour like colors at one time for that reason. Then at the end of the day I toss them out. I have several jars that have chips in them or other small non-dangerous flaws in them that I put the color bottle into and put the dropper in bulb end down so that way I know what goes with what when I'm pouring candles. If I'm making B&B, I use recycled plastic containers to hold my FOs or whatever and the dropper. At the end of a creative session, I toss all the droppers away. I also factor in the cost of my pipettes into my cost of making candles - same with paper towels and other *disposable* items. This way I'm not loseing any money. It's only a penny per product, but it helps cover costs.

Life & Light!

Tish

Sometimes I just pitch 'em but sometimes I rinse 'em. I use the emulsifer stuff that blends FOs with water - just suck up a few drops in the pipette along with some water, squirt out and rinse with water....no FO left in the pipette.

Thank you EVRYONE for all the tips and information. I see both sides of the picture more clearly. I am not sure what I am going to do yet, but one thing for sure I am going to buy my pipettes from Carrie's link...that is MUCH better that what I paid for what I have now.

As far as them being "disposable" lots of things are labeled that way and lots of people re-use items (ie. plastic plates and cups") some people just want to cut down on their trash contribution to the earth others want to save a few extra pennies...in the long run they do add up. I think that we all just do it our own way and what we are comfortable with.

Again that you to all of you that posted and gave words of wisdom... I appreciate it. I am very new to making these things for others for sale and having a small business so all the input I can get helps.

Thank you again!!

Big HUgs,

Rachel

I buy disposable cups and plates just for that reason. They are disposable. Heck, I have enough normal dishes to wash to worry about how much trash I'm making. That's why I have a hubby. So he can take out the trash. lol

Not trying to pick on anyone. I save the empty tubs of butter just so I don't have to worry about not getting my dishes back if I go somewhere.

Hmmmm....I just went totally off the topic of this thread. Sorry. lol

Just a thought for those that want to attach the pipette to the bottle with a rubber band but hate the drippy mess.....attach them with the tip up!

If I reuse mine that day I keep some isopropyl alcohol in a cup...suck some of that up and shoot it out....the alcohol evaporates very quickly so no contamination.