Label printing problems

Budgie

Does anyone else have this problem? I print all my labels myself with labels from onlinelabels.com. They're all rectangle labels of various sizes. Everything is lined up in the program as it should be but when I print, it will only print properly on the first or second row of labels. Then it starts moving up until the top is completely off the label. I've tried 2 different programs. I'm using Print Shop right now. I've also tried printing business cards off of Publisher and they won't line up properly on the paper either - it keeps moving off to the side.:mad: I'm thinking it's the printer. It's a Lexmark - inkjet printer. I was thinking of switching to a laser printer, but not sure I want to spend the money if I'm going to keep having the same problems. Anybody know what could possibly be the problem?:undecided Thanks for any help.

Budgie

Yeah, I've tried flipping it over too. The problem is, on one sheet it will only print right on the second row and it has six rows, so I have four rows of labels that I can't print on. It's so frustrating!!!:mad: Maybe I'll just have to learn to live with it.:(

I don't have a solution for your problem, but last night I was trying to print labels for some tart clamshells that I had made for my sister-in-law for her birthday. I wasted a whole bunch of labels almost for the same reasons you stated. I finally gave up after and lot screaming and not so pleasant words. I couldn't figure out what my problem is, I would print a test label on the template that was with the labels it would print perfectly each time, but when I went to print the label it was just a mess, wouldn't center on the label.I was blaming the printer, but can't seem to solve the problem. Hope somebody has a solution to your problem.

Pam

I use Microsoft Works, most people have it on their computer and don't use it. I use Publisher, but it takes a lot of time to get it set up. What I like about Works is that I can chose to print just one label on the sheet ( I have 12 and 20 up round labels) I don't have problems with it moving like you are talking about. Is the horizontal spacing off??

My clamshell labels are a pain in my tookus. (Is that how you spell that?) Anyway, I don't have your printer, but I did read the instruction book for my printer and it said to put plain copy paper in the tray under the label sheet. I know, normally you don't mix paper types in the tray, but I have less frustration with 5 sheets of plain paper under the label sheet.

It is possible that your labels are not feeding evenly all the way through. You should have an adjuster on your printer so that the sides are snug and feed through the printer evenly. I found that when I used my Lexmark that is what I had to do to keep them straight all the way through...otherwise they would creep up as the labels went through.

I wasted a whole bunch of labels almost for the same reasons you stated. I finally gave up after and lot screaming and not so pleasant words.

Same here. Lots of wasted labels and LOTS of swearing!;)

If your test pages are printing OK but your label sheets dont seem to be printing the same way, then the problem is more likley with the way your printer in handling the paper stock. We use a photo type printer to print lables since photo printers are built to handle thick stocks of glossy paper and have much better edge of paper detection and alignment.

If your test pages are printing OK but your label sheets dont seem to be printing the same way, then the problem is more likley with the way your printer in handling the paper stock. We use a photo type printer to print lables since photo printers are built to handle thick stocks of glossy paper and have much better edge of paper detection and alignment.

Actually, my test pages don't even print right. The only thing I can get to print properly are some address labels from Office Max. It just makes no sense to me.:undecided Do you mind if I ask what printer you use? I was considering getting a photo printer or a laser printer. Leaning more toward the laser, but I don't have the money for it right now.

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions.:)

Budgie

I have a Lexmark printer and do all my labels with either my Scrapbook Factory or Microsoft Works and use all types of paper from printer paper,Avery or Staples Brand Sticker,Clear and Card Stock.I was having problems with my printer not feeding the paper and the paper feed roller was smooth the guy at the computer shop told me to use rubbing alchol with q-tip on the feeder roller to get it tacky feeling to grab the paper.It wasnt printing my blue right on my test page so I took the ink out and wiped of the bottom where the ink comes out and it worked as far as buisness cards I went to Staples and for 500 basic I spent 10.99 and had them make them.Hope this helps

We use a Epson Stylus CX5400 (the most rescent version is the CX6600). This is an all in one printer with scanner, copier and printer. I've seen the CX6600 for about $99. We like is because the ink cartidges are large and individual. We purchase off-brand ink which is much less expensive and does very well.

I always have problems with the last row of labels. I solved this but printing all but the last row, flipping the paper and then printing as the first row. Problem solved. Weird, huh?

Funny, I do the same thing except I print 1/2 the page and then flip it around.

Budgie, you may want to check the settings in the "control panel" of the program you use. I print my labels using Print Artist, and can go into the control panel to select which row or column I would like to begin on; and how many rows I want to print.

Hope you get your problem solved.

Lemme give you my take. It's the labels. OnlineLabels freakin' labels at least.

I have always used Desktop Supplies for all my labels, good prices and get my stuff the next day. Have heard all the raves about OnLine so I checked them out. Terrific pricing and the selection is huge. Decided to give them a try. I ordered 10 sheets ea. of 6 different sizes, including rectangles and rounds.

Now, I've been there done that as far as all the lining up problems and crooked pages and everything over the years. I now use a program that allows me to create my own custom templates to any size and can adjust them easily if needed. Once I had my templates matched up to my Desktop labels, I never ever had to adjust them. I also use a color laser so the feed consistency is very good.

So I get my Online labels a few days ago......and they SUCK BIG TIME as far as their headers go. Within 10 sheets, the top header spacing starts out perfect and by the tenth sheet it is off over 1/32 of an inch. I check another size, same thing. Another, same thing. This is totally unacceptable in my book. For labels to print correctly for anyone (regardless of the type of printer you have) the die-cuts and headers have to be dead on on EVERY sheet. This has always been my opinion on why people have so much problem with labels lining up. Yes, printers can feed differently, and that can be part of it. But your labels are a huge huge factor as well. I can feed the same sheet thru 2 or 3 times sometimes depending on what I"m doing and it works fine.

A lot of people have problems with rounds: I did too, but once I created my own template and got it tweaked in (yes, it took lots of blank paper) I have no troubles. I use arched text and circles near the edge, and as long as the labels are consistent I have no problem at all. These Online labels throw all that out the window. If your header is good, no problem, but if it's not, you're screwed.

So, for all you who keep insisting it's printer trouble, there's much more to it than that. Cheap labels are cheap for a reason. 1/32 of an inch may not seem like much, but it's everything if you want your stuff to line up. I would be willing to accept a slight difference in header spacing from run to run, like from one box of 100 to another, but come one....within 10 sheets? That's ridiculous.

Having said all that, I will probably continue to use Online for some sizes because they have many non-traditional sizes that I need and I'm tired of cutting my own. The time saved in cutting is worth the extra few minutes of measuring and adjusting my template. I measure the header with calipers and it's quick enough to seperate out the sheets, but it's still just bad quality control IMO. I do plan on e-mailing them and letting them know as well.

JMO.

Beth,

I was wondering if it could be the labels because I hadn't had this problem until I started using their labels.:angry2: Well, at least I only got about 10-20 sheets of each label, so I haven't wasted that much money.

I think I'll still look into getting a laser printer though. I've been printing so much more lately and running through ink cartridges too fast.

Thanks everybody for your help and suggestions.:)

BTW, does anyone have any suggestions on a good/decent color laser printer?:wink2:

Budgie

I absolutely love my Samsung Color Laser printer - got it last year for $399 with a $100 mail in rebate (and I actually remembered to mail in the rebate!). The cartridges are about $75 each but the way I figure it, I was paying almost double that by the time I printed out all my lables six times because they were getting wet and no matter what I did to them, they weren't up to my idea of a good lable. I can't tell you how many times I had to throw out a sheet of lables because I'm a klutz! lol

Anyway - if I had to replace my printer for some odd reason - I would pay even more for my samsung than I originally did... I also love that I have it on a wireless printer port and I can print from any computer in my house (my hub is a computer geek so we have more computers than people in our house I think!). Which is really great when I'm gettin ready for a show because I'm always running around and it's not always easy to just sit and print...

HTH some...

Life & Light!

Tish

Online Labels are not always lined up properly. And neither are labels from Planet. Desktop are the best, but they cost more and they don't have all sizes. When I start a new box of labels, I usually have to set up a new print layout. When you call the suppliers about the problem, they act so surprised. Ha, and they think we are not smart enough to figure it out.

I know several people here have the Samsungs, as well as the Minoltas.

Shop around, they are always on sale somewhere and you should have no trouble getting a good one for less than $400. Staples currently has the Samsungs on sale for $250 I think.