Peak Candle??

Hi All,

I'm a newbie to the forum. Been lurking around for a month or two, and finally had to break my silence to ask a question about Peak Candle Supplies. From what I gather from everyone here, they're a good place to order from, that is if they had anything to order!!!!! They seem to be out of stock of most waxes, and other odds that I wanted to order - wick clips, molds, oh, all the things one really needs to make candles - and it's been that way for a while. I emailed them the other day, but still have had no reply......

Where else can one order good quality waxes and dyes?

Looking forward to a long and happy association with you all.:wink2:

I just wanted to say hi and not to get discouraged as this is the first time i ever saw them out of so much. I went to order wax and molds today to and everything i needed was out. Hopfully these things will be back soon. Mean while if you find out could you let us know when things will be back in stock. Lin

how do you tell if something is out of stock? i want to order another shipment of sample fo's but you just type in the name of the fo you want and submit it and it doesn't give you any information on it. hope this makes sense...

I think your questions are very reasonable as a prospective customer, and myself being a representative of Peak appreciate the opportunity to respond.

Email response times average about 30 minutes during work days. That doesn't include weekends. Every now and then, one will slip through the cracks, but we try our best to avoid that. And Mondays in particular can take a couple of hours because it is typically the busiest day of the week for us. But we have a toll free number that you are always more than welcome to use for any reason whatsoever, including tech support. In peak times, and as we enter the holiday season, those toll-free lines too can become bogged down from time to time, but you'll notice that we are very responsive to any messages left via voicemail and will call you back ASAP.

As far as inventory levels... if we could predict order volume every single month with absolute precision, we'd be really amazing. As it stands, we project inventory levels based on 30-45 day moving averages coupled with production times. But that can be faulty during times of growth, or accelerated sales.

Recently we had a discounted wax sale that far exceeded what we expected for midsummer. Midsummer is usually the slowest period of the year, for everybody I think. That wax sale though drove a lot more than just inventory in wax. It was coupled with accelerated depletion of FO's and a number of other items that we stock. It is something we've made notes on and will try to project better in the future. When taking advantage of a wax sale, chandlers will order many other things. Lesson learned for us.

Another thing worth mentioning while were talking about inventory levels is that during the summer we do try to keep FO inventory low to keep rotations within that 30-45 day window. FOs can degrade at elevated temperatures. During times of heat spells like we experienced in July, it can be a real challenge to regulate warehouse temperatures.

One of the first things we began running out of stock on, in addition to wax during the sale, was the FOs (bad crystal ball). One person even counted it to be 44 at one point. That's a lot by any standard, and something we would have rather avoided. But it happened, and production and transportation of replacement inventory took some time. We've permitted back-orders on FO's on this occasion so that people could still take advantage of volume discounts, when we normally don't handle any back-orders. And we attempted to keep everyone posted on an individual basis as to the status of their back-orders. We know chandlers often have a commitment to their customers to produce within a time frame, and we tried to relay as much information as possible to allow people the option of seeking other sources if a paramount deadline was approaching.

And, you may be wondering at this point why we don't usually accept back-orders. In a nutshell, it is because we would screw it up if we had to do it on a regular basis. We don't have a computerized system to track back-orders and it is an entirely manual process. The costs of secondary or tertiary shipments is also prohibitive. In addition, when we do run out of stock on something, typical restocking time is less seven working days. And 98% of orders are being processed within one working day. Managing back-orders with these figures isn't really practical. We'd rather give people the heads-up on the inventory status and the opportunity to shop around if time constraints dictate.

Speaking of time constraints, what we'll do is avoid surprising you with a partial fill of your order, or shipping an order two or three weeks after it was placed. We'll always make every attempt possible to notify you of any delays, even before you place an order (with notices on individual items). Our website is updated multiple times per day to accurately reflect any inventory changes, and prevent any surprises that might leave you in a jam. We'd rather prevent you from ordering something that is out-of-stock than to have you learn about it some time later when you receive your order. It's just the way we've always done it.

I think it is important to the success of your own business to trust any supplier you are doing business with to come through for you to your expectations. I would encourage you to shop around a bit to find a supplier you are comfortable with. There are many good ones out there. And the good ones will work to earn your business.

Cheers,

Alan

how do you tell if something is out of stock? i want to order another shipment of sample fo's but you just type in the name of the fo you want and submit it and it doesn't give you any information on it. hope this makes sense...

If you ever manage to get through checkout with something that is out of stock, we'll call you and/or email you as soon as we are processing the order. It does happen from time to time with the sample packs. But if you look at the FO page, it'll indicate if something is known to be out of stock. Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Alan

I want to thank Peaks and Alan for sending me my backordered FO by priority mail. They kept me up to date by email and when I got it, I had a hand written note at the bottom that said "thank you for your patience." Now how many other companies would do that. Alan I must say that Peak ROCKS and I love the company and the polite way I am treated everytime I place and order. Thanks again.

Alan, you don't know how the customer appreciates that. There is a supplier that I have bought from several times. Twice, I didn't know that they were out of an FO until the rest of my stuff arrived a week later. It was printed at the bottom of the packing slip that they were out of it, and would send it when it was back in stock. Infuriating.

Thank you for all these great responses, and Thank you Alan! :)

I did receive an email from Nachelle last night, explaining that waxes will be available beginning of the week of 8/29. I will wait until then to order, as it seems you are all Peak Candle fans, and that has to augur well for the company!!!

There are a fwe things that I wanted from Peak that are sold out right now. I sent Alan a pm and he resonded right away. I am going to wait to place another order. I know it is hard to wait on items, but Peak supplies are definately worth the wait!! You will be glad you waited!

Hi All,

I'm a newbie to the forum. Been lurking around for a month or two, and finally had to break my silence to ask a question about Peak Candle Supplies. From what I gather from everyone here, they're a good place to order from, that is if they had anything to order!!!!! They seem to be out of stock of most waxes, and other odds that I wanted to order - wick clips, molds, oh, all the things one really needs to make candles - and it's been that way for a while. I emailed them the other day, but still have had no reply......

Where else can one order good quality waxes and dyes?

Looking forward to a long and happy association with you all.:wink2:

There are plenty of suppliers who will help you in minutes. PM me if you want to know any.

Of course there are other suppliers out there - many of the suppliers in this FO list carry a full line of candlemaking supplies

http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2153

Margaritamama, just as a background, this board used to be admin'd by the owner of Peak, and the forum is still hosted on their servers. So that's why you see so many people talk about Peak Candle ;) Now that we have a new administrator, the board is more open - it just takes everyone time to get used to the fact we can talk about other suppliers now.