Marketing Bologna - Mumbo Jumbo

I was surfing and came across

http://www.pureintegrity.com/best-scented-candle.html

7 Step Pouring process? Proprietary 100% stabilized soy wax? Proprietary to who? Intelliscent Fragrances?

Anyone ever actually burn one of these? What is this garbage talk? It's all stuff that EVERY hand poured Soy Candle has (hand pouring at extremely low temperatures, or the fragrance oil burns off????).

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't even get me started. :shocked2:

She is my biggest competition around here, about 25 miles from me.

I have a proprietary soy wax formulation as well- it is possible CC.

I have one of her candles. I will decline comment at this time, as it is extremely unprofessional.

The only thing that will be accomplished here is more hits on her site.

Yes, but the type of hits she or he will garner from this type of thread, aren't the type of hits that he or she wants, I'm sure, especially considering that most on here are experienced chandlers who can see through the crap.

As for the proprietary wax? Come on. It's a 100% soy wax, according to them. How proprietary can it be? It's 100% soy...

It looks like she is taking alot of what we do already and putting a huge spin on it. Not sure about the soy oil carrier on her FOs, but she sure takes a big swipe at petroleum products! Lots of big claims that look inflated to me. 30% more FO? So what? That's just going from a 6% load to 8%. 7 step pouring process? I can take what I do and break it down into 7 steps, that doesn't make it any better. Two Wick technology? Come on! Everybody double wicks soy jars over 3 1/2" wide. Her advertising is just so much eyewash. She may make a good candle, but she puffs her product so much. Like Shakespeare once said in a play (paraphrasing) "All sound and fury, signifying nothing."

geek

Sounds like she has just gone to the Beanpod website and copied a bunch of their marketing jargon:

"Soy Basics incorporates two unique, proprietary methods in the development of our soy wax candles: the cleanburn technology and the TEMPACURE process. The acclaimed cleanburn technology promises that Soy Basics candles will burn clean, leaving minimal wax residue on the sides of the jar. Our Beanpod Candles burn slower and cooler at a lower heat than paraffin wax candles, which are known to have a high combustion rate. And, a slower burn rate means Beanpod Candles deliver greater value than paraffin candles."

They also use to talk about a several step process, but they don't anymore. Just a different spin. Go through your thesaurus and you can find all sorts of ways to spin the "hand poured" thing or put a "name" to your pouring "technology".

Sounds like 100% soy and stearic.

What's wrong with marketing? Seems like attempting some sort of marketing is a lot smarter than "Here's a candle, now buy the dang thing." :P

Nothing wrong with advertising, but her claims and statements seem a bit over the top, and a little funny to see someone making wild claims and spin on something we all do (as soy candle makers) and then try to portray this as something only her candles have. Simply an attempt to impress or fool people who have no knowledge of soy candles.

If one could imagine someone speaking the words that were on the web homepage, it would sound like an infomercial!

geek

Well, conventional wisdom would probably point to claims of "candle technology" as fairly ineffective in a market where the vast majority want something soothing and relaxing and want to feel good about a product (rather than "thinking" about it).

Most marketing is a little "over the top", though. I mean, did Calgon literally ever "take someone away"? Is Centrum's "specifically formulated" vitamin pill really that much different from Rite-Aid's generic brand?

It's all an attempt to impress. I question the effectiveness of her particular brand of advertising hoodoo, but it isn't much different than getting the customer all excited about how your (the royal "your") candles will bring them the Relax-O experience of their lives by talking about how well your candles scent the bathroom and how well they fit into tub corners.

Honestly even though it is long winded...there isn't anything wrong with her marketing....to the average american. Marketing is a key element of a good business(I am not saying that one is or isn't). What most likely is the same formulations as we all use, is just marketed and obviously it works otherwise she wouldn't be anyones competition.

Not trying to be a stick in the mud, but why are we having issues with someones marketing strategy to the public? I honestly don't believe that she intended a knowledgeable chandler to be shopping on her site.

All major companies have some kind of gimmic..that is what makes you stand out from other companies.

The marketing strategy is deceitful in its most basic sense, in that she is making the general public feel that those things she mentioned are unique to her product, which they aren't.

If she were talking about some innovation or something that was, in fact, unique to her product, I don't think there would be anything wrong with it.

As for her not intending for the experienced chandler to shop on her site...why not? Says who? If it doesn't pass THAT test, then it shouldn't be used.

The marketing strategy is deceitful in its most basic sense, in that she is making the general public feel that those things she mentioned are unique to her product, which they aren't.

That's how every brand since the dawn of time has attempted to inspire brand loyalty. Why Jif and not Peter Pan or Best Choice? Why Joy and not Dawn? It's all pretty much the same thing.

As for her not intending for the experienced chandler to shop on her site...why not? Says who? If it doesn't pass THAT test, then it shouldn't be used.

If your marketing strategy doesn't appeal to a market you're not aiming at, you shouldn't use it? That doesn't even make sense.

That's how every brand has inspire loyalty? By deceiving? I don't think so.

For them to say that their candle burns better, or smells nicer, is one thing, in that they are stating their opinions, much like Coke or Pepsi before them. For them to make it seem as if their candle is better BECAUSE they do something that nobody else does, which is a blatant, out and out lie, is a totally different story.

You won't convince me differently, sorry.

And, my point about not passing the test was, if your "facts" don't fly with experienced chandlers, then you shouldn't use them, because, eventually, you WILL be called out.

You can't go on Yankee's website, or anyone else's for that matter, and find this type of marketing garbage.

Choosy moms choose jif is a catch line, and, it's not really attempting to pass that off as fact. It's not stating that, as per the latest university study, 73% of moms, chose jif. There's a difference between that website, which is trying to pass all those things off as fact, and a catch line like the one you stated. It doesn't apply, and frankly, it's not even close.

So, what you are saying is that you are alright with things such as "We pour at extremely low temperatures so that fragrance oil isn't burned off" being stated on a website, and being passed off to consumers not knowing any better, as fact?

They are just candles. I realize their claims are over the top....Is it really THAT big of a deal? There are going to be those people in every business. It isn't like they're "lying" about some serious, life threatening matter.

I don't think anybody is equating this with the bombing of the twin towers, however, considering this is a candle board, and those are deceptive candle marketing practices, it may have struck a chord. That's all. I don't think anyone is overstating the importance of this, in the grand scheme of things. However, the fact remains, they are being deceptive.

If they had to explain these statements of fact to an experienced chandler, they could not, and I think they know it.

Im only 23 years old people, and after reading the first page of that site I was horrified. I can write better than that.

quote----

Our scents are so strong and so realistic you will think you have the real thing right in front of you! Whether it's a fresh baked pumpkin pie or a ripe juicy peach, you'll swear that peach or pumpkin pie is around somewhere! Our fragrances are quite stronger than the rest, which leads us to our Intelliscent fragrances - read on below!!

That paragraph just says juvinile to me.

As far as her approach to marketing, I think that she sounds desperate to sell IMO. If I was a regular consumer I would not bother to read everything on that page. There is way to much information and yes I beleive that it does sound like an infomercial. Customer dont want to here all the "technical" things that go into making a candle. All they are interested in is scent and looks. They could care less about what went into making it. I believe that she is wasting her time coming up with all that gibberish.

They are just candles. I realize their claims are over the top....Is it really THAT big of a deal? There are going to be those people in every business. It isn't like they're "lying" about some serious, life threatening matter.

Well, yes, if their claims are out and out lies (and a seven step pouring process that nobody else uses because it takes place in their own facility isn't exactly an out and out lie) then it is a big deal.

When Ford claimed in the 1950's that their windshields were clearer than the competition and then attempted to prove it by filming through a "windshield" that didn't exist (there was no glass in the windshield hole when it was filmed for the commerical, making it of course the clearest "windshield" ever), that was enough of a problem that the laws applying to advertising were actually changed to address that issue for any product.

So, what you are saying is that you are alright with things such as "We pour at extremely low temperatures so that fragrance oil isn't burned off" being stated on a website, and being passed off to consumers not knowing any better, as fact?

Maybe the way they were pouring before did cause FO to be burned off. ;)

I'll agree that that particular paragraph seems pretty deceptive, if not outright wrong, factually. My point was that assigning names to her processes and fragrance collection and calling them "unique" really isn't a lie. All of our collections and methods are unique, as far as I know, even if they differ just about as much as Skippy and Jif.

I agree with Bella Soy that there is TOO much information on that web site. I clicked on the link out of curiosity, but after reading about two paragraphs of her life story and scrolling down to see there was still a WHOLE lot more to read, I closed out of the site. Blah, blah, blah.