Yankee Candles

Could it be because they are so strong that they use a high percentage of FO, that's why they look oily?

hehehe The answer is no! You can buy wax that gives you that same look. Trust me if you think "they" are strong you need to be devirginated into the world of real candles! Send me 10 bucks and I'll be your first, k? ;) Bruce

My stepdaughter gave me a Yankee candle gift package for Christmas. One was an apothecary jar, one a candle tin, and one votive. I burned the apothecary jar just like I would one of my own and after letting it set for a day, I noticed droplets on the top of the candle. I felt the droplets and noticed it was oily to the touch, so I am assuming they do use more oil than really needed.

Even though their candles smelled really good, they did not burn down the way they should; tunneled down the middle and the melt pool didn't even meet the sides of the jar. It left a huge amount of wax on the sides, which I wasn't real impressed with.

You would think using excessive amounts of oil would be a real fire hazard! :rolleyes2

No not neccessarily. What your probably seeing is either wet spots, which is where the wax doesn't adhere to the jar, or a mottled look, both have an oily looking appearence IMO.

As for the oil droplets on top of the candle, wax will only hold so much oil. You can, and most do, add addatives that will increase the amount of oil that the wax will hold. Not using enough of these addatives or not throughly mixing the oil into the wax will cause "sweating." Sweating is when the oil seeps out on top and or sides of the candle.

Yankme's wax can't hold anymore oil than the wax we use, therefore their candles cant be any stronger because of a high percentage of fo. Most use the max the oil will hold, unless it's a strong fo and using the max would be overkill, like with lavender. That is a very very stong scent and using the max makes the candle to strong to have lit for long, it'll send you right out of the house. Therefore to have a pleasing scent throw, less oil can and should be used.

I've noticed that Yankee candles are oily looking. They don't feel real oily. Just the way they look. Could it be because they are so strong that they use a high percentage of FO, that's why they look oily?
Could also be shipping in a hot truck. When I lived in Boston, I don't remember any oily seepage on their surfaces. Moving down here to OK, some of those candles look like they could use some botoxing for the sweating issue.

hehehe The answer is no! You can buy wax that gives you that same look. Trust me if you think "they" are strong you need to be devirginated into the world of real candles! Send me 10 bucks and I'll be your first, k? ;) Bruce

LOL As you can see, I know practically nothing!! But thanks to the generosity of the wonderful people on this board, I learn a lot everyday...and get confused a lot! LOL:yay:

One other thing I might add is. The reason your candle could be tunneling or not reaching a full melt pool after several burns is because you may not have burned it long enough to reach a full melt pool (i.e. melting all the way out to the edges with a 1/4-1/2 inch depth). You need to burn it for at least 3-4 hours (depending on the size of the container) or until it reaches a full melt pool. If you only burn it for short periods of time, it will continue to burn right down the middle.

One other thing I might add is. The reason your candle could be tunneling or not reaching a full melt pool after several burns is because you may not have burned it long enough to reach a full melt pool (i.e. melting all the way out to the edges with a 1/4-1/2 inch depth). You need to burn it for at least 3-4 hours (depending on the size of the container) or until it reaches a full melt pool. If you only burn it for short periods of time, it will continue to burn right down the middle.

I always burn for hours, probably longer than I should, but...I did not know that if you only burn for a short time, it will only burn down the middle. It makes sense, just never thought of it.:yay:

Their wicks are not accurate because my husband's secretary was burning them in the office for 6-8 hours at a time. Buttercream and Strawberry tunnel for sure. Their candles are assembly made. It is counted and measured by machines they don't care about wet spots or melt pools as much as we do. They have someone come check quality control once in a while but that is what makes our candles special the time we put into them to make them as close to perfect as we can.

I don't burn Yankee Candles any more since I make my own, but my daughter occassionally buys from them when they come out with a new fragrance. Although they do tend to soot like crazy, she's had pretty good luck and hasn't had any problems with them not being properly wicked...I guess it just depends on which candle you get. I personally think that Yankee is way over priced, but they do have some great scents. However; I think their pillar and votive candles have little to no scent throw whatsoever...but, I have to admit, the throw on their containers and tarts are usually quite good.

I don't burn Yankee Candles any more since I make my own, but my daughter occassionally buys from them when they come out with a new fragrance. Although they do tend to soot like crazy, she's had pretty good luck and hasn't had any problems with them not being properly wicked...I guess it just depends on which candle you get. I personally think that Yankee is way over priced, but they do have some great scents. However; I think their pillar and votive candles have little to no scent throw whatsoever...but, I have to admit, the throw on their containers and tarts are usually quite good.

Yes I have noticed that about the pillars. The containers are way better.

• 1 year later...
You need to burn it for at least 3-4 hours (depending on the size of the container) or until it reaches a full melt pool. If you only burn it for short periods of time, it will continue to burn right down the middle.

Yah, and the guideline of an hour for every inch of diameter is just a guideline. Depending on the wax, room temperature and the size of your flame it can take much longer. Even depending on the container itself.

In my opinion, just as candle making is an art so is candle burning. Ya think ya know all you need to know and then something else comes along. Like palm wax for me right now.

I don't know what wax they use obviously, but one time I used IGI 1288B in those pumpkin containers everyone uses around this time of year and it looked just like it IMO. Its a "shiny" finish mottling wax. (The 1288A is the same type but has a dry finish). The finish of both of these waxes were great - I don't know if IGI makes them anymore.

I don't know what wax they use obviously, but one time I used IGI 1288B in those pumpkin containers everyone uses around this time of year and it looked just like it IMO. Its a "shiny" finish mottling wax. (The 1288A is the same type but has a dry finish). The finish of both of these waxes were great - I don't know if IGI makes them anymore.

1288B is still made, this is my staple for containers. I'm a weirdo and prefer straight paraffin and doing my own thing.

Karen B

I think their pillar and votive candles have little to no scent throw whatsoever...but, I have to admit, the throw on their containers and tarts are usually quite good.

I Agree,

Maybe, with thier Pilliars and Votives, you might have to light 3 of the same scent at a time to get a good throw...LoL

Or when you buy votives from yankee just cut them in 3rds and take the wick out... and you got 3 tarts/melts for the Price of ONE...

I believe their Votives and tarts are the same price... Not sure though

Just be Sure Not to overflow your melter!!!

Their jar candles are awful, they just tunnell

Could that be a case of that first burn not being long enough? If I had any of their jar candles I'd test that, but I probably won't be buying any of theirs since I've got about a zillion dollars worth of FOs and wax I need to use up first.

Guest Candelishis

I don't like their tarts at all. They only last a few hours (it even says 8 hours only on the package, and I think that's a stretch). The ones I make myself last for a few days in my melter.

Also: I've had people tell me they like my soy candles way better than Yankee's, and recently, friends/family have been bringing me their old empty Yankee jars and having me refill them with soy for them and they say that they like the soy much better than yankee, and they don't even compare.

While we're on the subject of Yankee, before this thread bites the dust...LOL...

I wanted to ask: I know nobody knows for sure but are Yankee's Candles Paraffin or a Mix of Waxes...

I figured you guys/gals that are into candle making could take an Accurate-guess...

As much as you look at types of waxes and stuff...LOL...