warming jars

I have been taught to heat my jars to the "warm" stage too ( approx 150 ) The lowest temp for my ovens is 170.

Lately I have been putting some jars in a large roaster as well as the ovens to increase the number of jars ready to pour. I made ( by accident) this amazing discovery.....it seems like when I get my jars HOT and pour....than group together and cool slowly, the tops are much flatter.I understand why but I am not sure I understand what would be wrong with pouring into a much hotter jar?

What is the downside to pouring into a hot jar as opposed to a warm jar? ( as long as the wax off the "primed" wick in still OK )

Just wondered?

I don't warm my jars. :shocked2:

I just wick and pour at room temp...:whoohoo:

I usually pour at room temp because...well, southwest desert...but if the molds feel cold to the touch like on a rainy day or the AC is running, then I jap them with the heat gun just before pouring.

What is the downside to pouring into a hot jar as opposed to a warm jar? ( as long as the wax off the "primed" wick in still OK )
Certain FOs with very volatile components can vaporize out of solution and create bubbles. That's the main downside I know of, plus possibly melting the wick wax.

If you find it's working better with a very hot jar, it may be that a higher pouring temperature could work better with your wax. Some of the container blends work great poured hot if you can cool them very slowly.

I'm the oddball here.

I warm my jars in the oven at the lowest setting of 170*. By the time I take them out and wick them, they've cooled down to probably 120* or so. After they're wicked, I immediately pour. This way, I have no worries about the priming wax melting off the wicks. I do this in batches of 3 or 4 at a time.

I warm mine up in the oven a few minutes before I pour. Gives me time to mix my wax and put in FOs, dyes, etc. I try for 150 but the oven sometimes gets hotter. I haven't been able to tell any differences in the finished candle between the 2 temps.

I warm my jars in another roaster and wick after. I use small straws over the wicks to keep them straight and found if I warmed after wicking, the wax coating on the wicks would melt and stick to the straws.. making it a pita to get the straws off.