Curious ... what's wrong with

Scented

I have heard that it clogs pores? I know that some people are "veggie" soap users and won't use a soap with lard in it. That is all I can think of....but of course I am new and don't know a darned thing, LOL! Except for the occaisional bar with Emu oil in it, I like my veggie bars. Don't know, I would be interested in knowing too.

Well while we're at, what's wrong with emu oil too lol! I mean it has amazing healing properties, but I've seen people scrunch up their noses over this.

And thanks you two for your answers. I do remember about that clogged pores thing, but if you wash it off how would it clog the pores?

I love love love lard in soaps, but won't use emu oil for nothin.. For some reason the stigma is in my mind about dead birds and the processes I've heard they use to get it. I wouldn't eat emu meat either.. Ewwww...

I have a friend who raises emu. She sells the meat also. She used to render the fat for emu oil but it was such a hassle she stopped. I haven't tried the meat but heard it tastes like rabbit. OK J/K on the rabbit part...LOL

Grumpy just kills me when she says piggy soap!!!!!!!!

Alot, of people these days are veggie eaters etc and won't buy any product with animal products in them. I personally have a ton of these type of customers, they ask a ton of ???? also about what you put in them, which I don't mind, I like to see people be proactive rather than just go with the flow and never give a sh$t what they are using.

I got a bar of lard soap in a swap and loved it, it was so hard and bubbly

I love love love lard in soaps, but won't use emu oil for nothin.. For some reason the stigma is in my mind about dead birds and the processes I've heard they use to get it. I wouldn't eat emu meat either.. Ewwww...

Same here! Every soap I make has lard in it. It's great stuff! I live in redneck heaven, so people don't mind lard in their soap around here. They actually like it, because "that's what Granny used to make soap with".

But emu oil... I just can't do it. I refuse to buy or use it.

I think for some people it's just the "gross" factor. They don't like the thought of smearing animal fats, which they consider distasteful, on their bodies. (Personally I consider lard and *saponified* lard to be 2 different things, but for some folks, that's beside the point.)

Other people feel that killing animals to use their body parts is cruel or unethical.

Note that I did NOT reveal my personal opinion here. LOL ;) I'm just trying to help explain the question. I generally make all-vegetable soaps, but I have experimented with lard in my soaps a couple times.

Editor's Note: The views expressed in this editorial are not necessarily those of the management. :D

I think it's because of the "vegan" factor. Some people just will not use anything that has any animal anything in it.

I have a lady down the street that wont use ANY of my soaps veggie or otherwise, because I use GM is some of my soaps. (she wont even use the ones that don't on what she calls "principal" - which is fine, I have no problem with that)

I just recently started using lard, and I'm thinking to myself - hmmm after 3 years of making soap WHY have I never soaped with this??? It's been some of my favorite soaps to date! Love the stuff, and I haven't had any problems with clogging pores.

I'm not fond of lard from my experiments with it, but I LOVE tallow. I don't think most of my customers would care, but I've had some that have asked. But about half of those only asked because they knew it was something they were supposed to care about (you can tell by the way they ask), not something they *really* cared about.

I know I can tell the difference between vege and tallow soaps. You can smell the base of the tallow. My grandma use to cook with lard and I will always remember that smell. It just depends on the kind of customers you want to attract. I am a girly girl I love perfumeries and natural soaps but I don't feel clean using lard to scrub my butt. Any source of fat is going to be comedogenic as far as clogging your poors. I have a list somewhere download in my computer that lists what oils are comedogenic. If I find it I will post it. It made sense why certain soaps were making my skin feel oilier.

I recently started using tallow in my soaps. I've used lard since I started soaping almost 6 years ago. There's nothing wrong with using it in your soap recipe or not using it. It's a preference/choice, just like what color to paint your kitchen.

I once had a co-worker tell me that there's no way she'd ever bath with a bar of soap made from pig fat. I asked her why and she said she didn't want that pig fat smeared all over her body. We had this discussion while she was eating a BLT. I got a big kick out of this (and always do). It's okay to eat it but not wash with it?

Whats interesting is comparing lard to palm fatty acids.

First number is the lard %, the second is the palm %:

Linoleic acid - 6% vs 10%

Myristic acid - 1% vs 1%

Oleic acid - 46% vs 39%

Palmitic acid - 28% vs 44%

Stearic acid - 13% vs 5%

Total fatty acid - 94% vs 99%. So palm has less unsaponifiables.

I am an all veggie soap seller... I have made some with goats milk before just for gifts.

I think that I have told my story before but when I first started soaping years ago I used lard. In my area I would do craft shows and people would see what the ingredients were, put their nose up and walk away. Granted, I did sell soap but not at the rate that I wanted. I started experimenting with different oils and nixed the lard and animal by products. IMO- I feel that lard is cheap and more of a filler. You can make just as hard of a bar with palm oil. My sales have skyrocketed.

I am a meat-eater. I just feel like there are many good oils out there.

I would agree that nothing is right or wrong.. it is just personal preference and the market that you want to attract.

Emu Oil is ok to put in soaps. The thing I have read is the cost of emu oil and do the benefits of emu oil actually survive the saponification. Most say the properties dont last, therefore its just a very expensive oil added to soap. I can not say if this is totally true or not, as I have not personally used emu oil in soaps (due to cost). Also, since soap is a wash off product, I am not sure the emu benefits even if they survive the saponification process would last because it is rinsed off. I personally believe emu oil is better in a leave on product.

I make both veggie and animal fat soaps and do not have a preference really. It is really about the consumer and what they want.

What entertaining reading, especially Rebecca's BLT story. I couldn't stop laughing! Actually I was just curious about lard, but when I looked on that chart that Stacie posted, I didn't see lard on there as a clog plugger. But coconut was.

Don't we want our oils to saponify in soap as opposed to not completely?