How crazy did you get?

I am a very new candle maker (or candle tryer, at any rate) and I think I may be getting obsessed! I have spent too much money already but I can't seem to stop, I NEED every new scent I see, they all sound irrestible. Then I need to try wicks, and dyes, and I need a ton of wax, and molds and tealight cups and pots and thermometers and jars and God knows what else! Did you all go through the same thing? When does the obsession tame into a healthy, normal hobby... lol. If it's not soon, I may need to apply for more credit cards...j/k!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Deanna...

Welcome to my Addiction!!

I dont think it ever really tapers off to a reasonable amt of things own can own.. specially when it comes to scents... one can never have enough scents around now can we?

Then of course, there are molds... and lots of them, we have to have every single mold imaginable.. wicks... of course we NEED these to test with all the different types of candles we are going to make... so we buy pack after pack.. and ohh dont forget containers... sooo many choices there too. Colors, scents, jars.. wicks .. waxes..OHH MY!!

Then of course... there is B&B.. and lord if that list doesnt get as full as the others with this and that and more colors.. and ohh this would smell good in a lotion.. exotic butters and oils...

Then you have of course.... soapmaking.. more molds, colors, even more oils...

THE LIST GOES ON FOREVER............

Then were the heck are you going to stick all this stuff?????

Under kitchen cabinets, till bottles fall out at you when you reach for the "real" coffee can! In the basement.. I even staff some stuff under my bed so hubby wont find out how much I really have... :embarasse

Then what used to be my kitchen is now a vast array of boxes .. I havent a counter anymore.. its full of scents and dyes.. and whatever I happen to be working on...

Ohhh I could go on forever.... but I'll just have a lil crooked smile and say...

welcome to your new addiction... for now until you have no more space to put stuff... then your looking for a bigger house with another 2 rooms, just for your stuff =)

pix

Oh, great... so I'll be spending the grocery money on fragrance oils eventually, won't I?:o LOL. Haven't tried molds yet, hadn't thought of it... trying to master the votive, maybe a container or two. I like little metal buckets, hides quite a number of flaws:shocked2: ...lol. It's the fragrance oils, just so much selection... But I reason that the money I was spending on partylite is better spent on a hobby that I really enjoy that just happens to produce something I really love!

BTW, I've been going through the galleries and OMG!! There are some amazing pics in there. Hats off to you ladies, I am beyond impressed!:yay:

I was "obsessed" for the first year and then it settled down a lot. I realized making container candles was more for me than anything else. I like making FUNKY looking candles and I never could make a pillar look right. Then I obsessed about scents. When I realized I didn't really like half of what I had I decided to make my own scent blends and then got more chaotic. Now...whenever I see a cool soap in a new scent I have to have it and then test it in everything I make. I'm not sure there is hope for me, you or anyone. :confused::shocked2:

:grin2:

(and then bttrflikiss stands) "hi i'm bttrflikiss and i'm an addict , my addiction consist of jars when Hobby Lobby has them 50% off , heck thats cheaper than buying over the internet , 'NO SHIPPING' , i try to reason with myself but i know i don't need more , and my gosh the scents , i can't stop , i really need to join a support group or my family will have to go to make more room for my supplies that line the walls now....and by the way welcome

OMG! We sound like a bunch of 'twelve steppers'! :o In a year of making candles & a little b&b products the only firm decision I've made is which container wax I want to use (kinda). :embarasse I have stacks of partial cases of containers because I can't decide which ones I want to use and that brings about having enough assorted wicks to test each different container. I test at least 6 different types and sizes of wicks in each container, because I have so many that I haven't a clue where to start. Heck I even have 2 different sets of labels because I came up with 2 (not 1, but 2!) company names that I really like, therefore the logos are NOTHING alike.

I thought this was suppose to be a RELAXING hobby!?!?!

I made it a little easier for myself. I wanted to do Soy from the beginning. I found that several of them carried the same wax and that it had awesome reviews so I tried it, liked it and stuck with it. Containers... different story. I tried to stick with just one type and that failed miserably. I have 13 different types of wicks but try to stick to containers that are around 4 inches in diameter or bigger which makes things a little easier for me. Now B&B products....Fuged aboud it. That is addicting. Soap, lotion, body butter, salts, fizzies, bombs, lip balms, cuticle balms, salves, lotion spray, linen spray, scrub, whipped soaps, cream soaps, shampoos, shower gels....on and on and on and on and on and on....:shocked2::P:shocked2::P:yay:

When I added up my receipts for 2004 I had spent over $1,000 on candle making supplies. That may seem low to sum, but it was alot for me. I was green and spending way to much on supplies from the wrong places cuz I didn't know any better. But you learn your way around, who has the best prices, and best products, so the price comes down. I dont make containers, so I had no glass expense, and I didn't sell yet, so I wasn't going through supplies to make orders. I did participate in some swaps, one being for almost 50 votives. Swaps do use up supplies. I had started to get into B&B, but realized that I needed to perfect one hobby and make it a little more self sustaining before starting another.

I find myself wanting to spend tons on supplies, thank god my hubby won't let me otherwise I think I would have to find somewhere for the kids to stay and take over their rooms. I have a terrible time with impulse buying...ohhh I bet that smells good, bet that would be nice in a candle, what FO can I use with that color dye. So far I have been lucky haven't gotten to crazy, have about 8 to 10 FO and about 200lbs of wax, but I do have to say I have a ton of jars.

I added up my paypal recipts for a reality check and then I made a list of everything I have or have in shipment. I decided that was IT, I have a TON of scents to try to find a few I love and 30 pounds of wax to start with until I know which of the waxes, if any, I like and a few different wicks, etc. so I can stop for a while, use what I have and then stock up on what I really like after that's all gone. Then, of course, I realized after testing my first votive that I need a smaller wick and nothing I currently have ordered is any smaller than what I have now, so I need to order that. Oh, but I did get a deal on a small digital scale on ebay, so I'm happy about that. Maybe the spending won't stop RIGHT away...lol!:o

I think I have it pretty lucky, I just make a order, tell hubby that a page is calling him for his cc #.. I didnt realize though that I was spending soo much.. until I checked my paypal acct as well... and gulp I spent wayyyyy over what I thought I had... I thinknow, I roughly spend like 600 mnthly. And that is good for me...

Dont even ask me what I buy though.. cuz half the time I cant remember,,,

pix

my first year I spent a lot! lets just say, I spent more on candle supplies than I did on rent. I went nuts. I still have stuff I bought but don't use. I have learned to limit the spending. I used get a hair up my bum to try something new and buy all the stuff in bulk and then not use it all. I learned to stop doing that. I have waaaaaay to many bills now not to have learned that lesson.