Has anyone heard of Yaley...

brand of candle making anything...from wax to FO's to dyes...I went to the local Michaels and down to the our Yarn and Darn and Jo-Ann Fabrics and the brand name is all over the place...they have slabs of wax there...but it did not give what kind of wax it was and when I asked at the counter, they looked at me liked I had 3 heads...one of the containers even boasted that you could microwave the wax :shocked2: ...I didnt purchase any of the stuff...but I was just wondering if anyone had heard of them...

I've not used any of their regular waxes but I have used their dyes and fo's. I'm very pleased with the results of the dyes and fo's. The dyes a little goes a long way. I've used their gel wax also and like it. I wait til the have a 40% off coupon and buy the gel lol Saves me quite a bit and no shipping to have to pay. HTH

Ive used them a long time ago, when i was first wanting to make candles. That stuff is fine as long as you dont want a strong scent throw. The wax IS microwaveable soy. In my opinion, its a lot more expensive to purchase candle supplies from Michaels. I know that in AZ and CO, the wax from there is app.$7 a lb. So, I personally think you are better off getting your supplies from an actual supplier. HTH-Linaya

I have never used it and probably never will. I am not sure what it is. I have a hard enough time trying to get consistency from my regular supplier(Candlewic)...lol....not going to fool around with something that I think is meant for the weekend candlemaker....the kind that wants to make some candles for a party and be done. If you want to be serious about making candles....search our board for candlesuppliers...there are many and the waxes all vary....a lot. Everyone finally settles on what works for them (or most of the time we do)....I am also under the impression that a relative of Yaley, makes their molds. North Valley Candle Molds in California. I think that the quality of the molds are better than Pourette. I have hundreds and hundreds of Pourette molds. Then I found out about NVCM. I do a have few that Don sent me to try and I love them. Look for a supplier that is close so your shipping won't be so much. I was checking my files yesterday and the cost of wax in the last few years has doubled. Donita

I have some yaley molds. I wouldn't say they are substandard. I have a bunch of votive molds and a couple of 3x6 pillar molds. I can't tell the difference between any of them and the molds from other companies. I've tried the colors and they were fine but too expensive when compared with blocks or liquid online. The scents are just yucky, IMO, whether they are wax chips or liquid.

I have been getting my wax from Candlewic also Donita. I have found that as a greenhorn :grin2: I have learned from all of you just what is and is not good product. I was very skeptial of Yaley as I had not heard anything being mentioned about it. When the salesperson looked at me like I had 3 heads when I asked her what kind of wax it was I was skeptial of ANYTHING that had the name. I am fast learning that this is something I really want to pursue as I can show my God-given creativity in a way that can be enjoyed by a large number of people and the last thing I want to have is sub-standard material...of ANY kind! Thanks to you all for being here for me and I am sure many others....:yay:

Jody

Jody...since you live near Candlewic, that will save you tons of $$$$$$$$$. I have been a customer for years....every company has their problems and they have theirs too....but as far as wax goes, the 4045H is the best I know about for mottles....it is a good pillar and votive wax too. When the formula for the CBL 141 is working right....you cant beat it for chunks and pillars that are very creamy and burn very well....but like I said....they have problems too. I love the 5055 hurricane wax....couldn't make them without it. I have tried many companies and finally settled on them. I feel like I am married to them. Not crazy about their scents. Some are nice. They have been improving. They have a huge selection of wicks too. Let me know if you have any questions. I will try to help. Donita

I used to use the Yaley slab wax for my dipped critters, in fact, I purchasd their kit fo the bears abot 5 years ago. The wax works okay for the bears, but I haven't tried it for anything else. Pat Catans used to have it on sale every once in awhile for I think $9.99 for the 10 lb. slab. Once I got one that was broken into about 5 chunks and only paid $5.00, I was going to break it apart anyway. I purchased a bunch of the color blocks for 25 cents a piece when our JoAnne fabrics went out of business, but I don't really care for them. It's hard to get them cut into the same amount consistently...I only do 1-2 lbs. of wax at a time, so can't really get that little bit of a dye block measured out on my scale, so I think I'm going to get rid of all of them and just buy the diamonds from Peaks or candle cocoon. The colors seemed okay, except for the new package of "black" that I opened to make a Steeler candle and ended up making a "Pitt Panther" blue and gold candle instead due to the block not actually being black! Enough said.

if you get the wax from pat catans it is a igi wax . i found a igi # on the box and called its a blend only made for pat catans and yaley gets it from them. this is what i was told from yaley and pat catans they wanted to know how i knew and told them i found the # on the box and now every time i look you can't find it on the box.

deedee

Honestly Yaley products other than their molds are for beginners. I bought their wax when I first got into making candles, but discovered better wax that was better quality and cheaper.

I suggest using Yaley products if you are in desperate need of wax and can't get it from your regular supplier.

I did like their dye blocks, but the craft store nearest to me was always out and of course they aren't in business anymore.

And their 1 ouncers were like $5 each compared to $2.50 each, even with shipping it would be cheaper to order over the internet.

Mindy :)

Thanks Donita and all for your responses. I did not like the looks of Yaley's dye blocks...they just looked...for lack of a better term...icky :tongue2: ...lol...

I have settled on Candlewic's J223 and Soy 125 mix for the containers and their Palm 2 and 3 for the votives and tarts, not only since they are so close and I can save on S&H BIG time...but its not that far away if I needed more I could just drive there...lol:yay: The dye blocks it looks like BCN as I have been using them and it looks like they are doing well for me...love their wick stickems!:grin2: After a time I will get brave and go with the liquid dye, but I want to get more comfortable with the other first.

hmm, interesting with the yaley and pat catans. I've never paid attention to the boxes the wax was packed in, but when I bought this wax about 6 yrs. ago, the slab was wrapped in plastic and had a yellow Yaley tag on the outside and didn't have any info on it other than 150 melting point. Never the less, not much good for candle making.

When I first started I was using Yaley everything. To be honest, the only thing I found wrong was no hot throw from the fos, it takes alot of the color blocks to get dark colors and very expensive. Then I found this board and was informed that Yaley was garbage. So I started trying online suppliers. I haven't found a wax that I'd consider better. Yaley wax is the clearest I've tried so it makes beautiful chunk candles, mottles very nicely, releases from molds easily, I had no complaints. It's just so expensive if you don't have a 40% off coupon and JoAnnes is out of stock all the time. If you have the coupon it's $12.00 for 11 lbs, so about the same as case price online, sometimes cheaper depending on shipping cost. So I've been using candlewics 4144, IMO a good wax. Now that Candlewic's prices have gone up, I'm probably going to give 1343A a shot.

Anyway back to Yaley. Color blocks-Only ones I've tried, I switched to liquid dye so cant compare, love liquid and wont go back. I use Albaster, good quality and 30 colors. Yaley wicks, as pointed out-to general, packaging says "for 2"-3" pillars" that's way to general-if it's for up to a 3", it's gonna be to big for a 2", if it's good for a 2" it's gonna leave a thick wall on a 3". The scent blocks and liquid fos are not only OUTRAGIOUSLY expensive, but total garbage!!! The worst scents I've ever used by far. The molds, great IMO but again way expensive, check out candlewic for great prices on molds. I continue to use Yaley's vybar and steric, I use the 40% coupon of buy when their having a 30% off sale and they're cheaper than online and work just fine.

But if your within driving distance of candlewic, I'd just get all of my supplies there, LUCKY!