Heat Guns??

Guest Japes

Guest Japes

I am going to buy one but, every one that I've found has REALLY high (terrifyingly high) temperatures. Most of them have adjustments were you can adjust them, but they go from like 500degrees to above 1000.

Even at 500 isn't that WAY too hot for candle wax and fragrance oils?

Are there any out there with lower temperature adjustments?

I guess it will depend on what you want to use it for. I use the heat gun to shrink wrap my soap and now that i started playing with hurricanes, it serve to heat the mold. For what i use it for those temp works very well. I know people shrink wrap pillar but i only do container so can't help with that. Don't really the relationship between the heat gun and the fragrance oils.

I have the 900 degree heat gun and yes it is very hot but you just need a quick swipe across the tops of your candles most of the time and if you hold it up a little and just do a quick blast with it..its just fine, I have never had a problem with using mine and it being to hot, You will kinda get the feel for it. Mine is the Wagner bought from Wal-mart;)

If you want something a little tamer, try an embossing gun. You can find them at craft stores in the cardmaking section. I use one from Michael's and I love it because it serves to not only emboss my cards but also to shrinkwrap my lip balm tubes and does touch-ups on my candles. Very helpful; wouldn't be without it!

You don't need to apply alot of direct heat. I only use mine for seconds at at time. However, I don't use for zapping candles. I use mine for shrinkwrapping. And Yes, they can get hot. Some guns from what I have heard have 2 settings. Mine only has one.

Got mine from walmart also

Guest Japes

Ok, just bought one at Home Depot for around $40 which has 12 different temperature settings from 250 degrees up to more than 1000 (way more than we would ever need for candles).

Ok, just bought one at Home Depot for around $40 which has 12 different temperature settings from 250 degrees up to more than 1000 (way more than we would ever need for candles).

Looks like you got the super duper deluxe model! Usually the two speed Wagner at Lowe's is about $20, and is sufficient for the job. I'd take that one back to the Depot, get the Wagner, and save the four fins! :grin2:

geek

That Harbor Freight heat gun is wild!

It could have melted the iceberg and there would have been no Titanic to sink to the bottom of the ocean. It is WAY hot and blows air around like a hair dryer. Hated that damn thing.

I LOVED my Darice embossing tool. However since I killed it, I've never been the same. It was a pretty blue, lightweight... oh sniff sniff.. LOL!~! :laugh2:

If you want a heatgun that will actually last and has numerous heat setting's I would recommend you get a Milwaukee.

Guest Japes

Milwaukee is the brand that I got. I don't mind paying slightly more for something of a higher quality, with more longevity, and a bit more flexibility.

In the past year (maybe less?), I've killed 3 or 4 Harbor Freight heat guns...

So my dad bought me a Milwaukee, which I killed within a month. Thought it was supposed to be "industrial"? Luckily, that got fixed through the warranty. My dh bought me one through Granger too.

I currently have 3 heat guns because I'm so hard on them and can't live without one! :laugh2:

I LOVED my Darice embossing tool. However since I killed it, I've never been the same. It was a pretty blue, lightweight... oh sniff sniff.. LOL!~! :laugh2:

/quote]

I have a Darice embossing tool! Been using it for over a year and still haven't killed it. It was about $21 at Jo-Ann's but got it at 40% off with a coupon. Heat guns intimidate me. :grin2:

I think that's the one I have and I love it. Got it on sale at AC Moore for $5.00 bucks. Next time I use it I'll say a prayer for your beloved:(