Making pillar bottoms flat

I use an old griddle. Some use a cookie sheet over a pot of hot water like this Leveling

This is from Peak's site showing leveling a hurricane but same concept is used for pillars. I know they make special leveling equipment you can buy but I am sure this works just as well. HTH :)

I use an old griddle. Some use a cookie sheet over a pot of hot water like this Leveling

This is from Peak's site showing leveling a hurricane but same concept is used for pillars. I know they make special leveling equipment you can buy but I am sure this works just as well. HTH :)

I use this method two but for some reson when I set the piller down if it's not even it don't melt even how do you do thats?

Might want to get yourself a level too. you can pick one up at Wallyworld. That helps with leveling too. If I see I am not level on say the right side of the pillar when I level it on the griddle or cookie sheet I know to put more pressure on that side. I hope that made sense. If you get a leveler it does help a whole lot. I couldn't do it either until I got one of those.

Here is what I do. I have a griddle on my pouring station that I use. Once the pillar is ready to slide out of the mold, I turn my griddle on between Warm and 200*; I take all tape and putty off of the mold, and then make sure the pillar is going to easily slide out, but do not take the pillar out of the mold; leave the pillar in the mold. I take a paper towel and put it on the top of my griddle. I take the pillar; still in the mold, and place it on top of the paper towel. Once you see wax starting to form on the paper towel, lift the mold a little bit to make sure the pillar is still sliding out and then press the mold down into the paper towel. Lift the pillar and mold every now and then to see if the flattening is complete. When it is, take the pillar and mold over to some wax paper and set the flattened side down on it; then lift the mold completely off. I have a perfect level pillar bottom each and every time. You may have some small pieces of wax around the edge of the pillar bottom...I just take the pillar in one hand and use my other hand to brush them away. If I get a stubborn one, I wait for the wax to cool down a bit and then get it off with my fingernail, or the flat side of a butter knife.

I'm not sure this will work with every pillar wax, but it works with the 6228. Also, I am using round molds. It is worth a try since the mold acts as a level for the pillar while it is flattening. HTH

If it's not level, don't put it down flat. Tilt it toward the uneven (longer) side until it melts down and is level with the other side. Then finish leveling it from there. Sometimes all it takes is a little common sense!

Here is what I do. I have a griddle on my pouring station that I use. Once the pillar is ready to slide out of the mold, I turn my griddle on between Warm and 200*; I take all tape and putty off of the mold, and then make sure the pillar is going to easily slide out, but do not take the pillar out of the mold; leave the pillar in the mold. I take a paper towel and put it on the top of my griddle. I take the pillar; still in the mold, and place it on top of the paper towel. Once you see wax starting to form on the paper towel, lift the mold a little bit to make sure the pillar is still sliding out and then press the mold down into the paper towel. Lift the pillar and mold every now and then to see if the flattening is complete. When it is, take the pillar and mold over to some wax paper and set the flattened side down on it; then lift the mold completely off. I have a perfect level pillar bottom each and every time. You may have some small pieces of wax around the edge of the pillar bottom...I just take the pillar in one hand and use my other hand to brush them away. If I get a stubborn one, I wait for the wax to cool down a bit and then get it off with my fingernail, or the flat side of a butter knife.

I'm not sure this will work with every pillar wax, but it works with the 6228. Also, I am using round molds. It is worth a try since the mold acts as a level for the pillar while it is flattening. HTH

That's an interesting method. I may have to try that one. Thanks

I slide my pillars across a 'warm' pan until they are level. (Or as level as I can tell). This also melts the wick in with the wax.

Someone had a leveler made out of sheet metal, I think. It was a pretty cool device but I can't remember who.

Yep, leaving it IN the mold is the easiest way I've found. I usually just use the bottom of a presto and then pour off the remaining wax into a tart mold LOL

Yep, leaving it IN the mold is the easiest way I've found. I usually just use the bottom of a presto and then pour off the remaining wax into a tart mold LOL

Great minds think alike! ;) I tried everything to get a LEVEL, flat bottom and this works GREAT!

I use a cut off saw, was taught this by someone who has been in this industry over 30 years. Have gone through 2 in 8 years. You must buy a quality one because when my last one died from "wax suffication" lol and I bought a cheap one and couldn't get it lined up square. Also the bit tip needs to be fine and a high speed blade, its all in my studio so I don't know all the spec's off the top of my head.

I would not use a candle warmer.

I do mine several different ways..depending on my mood. Sometimes I use my heat gun and leave it in the mold. Sometimes if I have been in a hurry to ge tthe candle out of the mold to get another candle going, I will use a cookie sheet and my heat gun. The level really helps. I learned that hard way that my counter is not level..teheehheee

When my pillar is ready for the second pour, I take my wick off of the wick holder and trim it down below the mold.

Then I heat up my wax for my repour and "overfill" the mold. This will actually bring the level of the candle a tad bit above the mold. Once the wax is cooled down, but while still a little bit warm I take a large kitchen knife (sacrificed to candlemaking) and slice off the wax that is above the mold and use the mold as a leveler and guide.

There you have it. A pillar leveling job that will be perfect everytime and your wick is no longer exposed.

Hope this makes sense.

When my pillar is ready for the second pour, I take my wick off of the wick holder and trim it down below the mold.

Then I heat up my wax for my repour and "overfill" the mold. This will actually bring the level of the candle a tad bit above the mold. Once the wax is cooled down, but while still a little bit warm I take a large kitchen knife (sacrificed to candlemaking) and slice off the wax that is above the mold and use the mold as a leveler and guide.

There you have it. A pillar leveling job that will be perfect everytime and your wick is no longer exposed.

Hope this makes sense.

wouldn't that leave a line from the diferent fill levels? wouldn't that also leave your wick pretty unstable? even though we can warn people to stop burnhing at 1/2 inch someone may forget and then you have a floating wick in the bottom of a candle that would hopefully put itself out, but may not!