Making pillar bottoms flat

wouldn't that leave a line from the diferent fill levels?

Never has.

I only have had to do 2 pours. The first one gets filled all the way to the top of the mold and when the wax shrinks the sides stay high up and the middle is what gets lower. Thus when it comes time for the second pour, the wax fills in the relief holes and the crater in the middle.

This is what works for me.

Never has.

I only have had to do 2 pours. The first one gets filled all the way to the top of the mold and when the wax shrinks the sides stay high up and the middle is what gets lower. Thus when it comes time for the second pour, the wax fills in the relief holes and the crater in the middle.

This is what works for me.

You would need to take great care with this method. If your candle starts to pull away from the mold wall and you pour over the top, you can get ugly drips. Tina, I too clip the wick below the final pour line for a clean bottom.

e

You would need to take great care with this method. If your candle starts to pull away from the mold wall and you pour over the top, you can get ugly drips. Tina, I too clip the wick below the final pour line for a clean bottom.

Yes you would have to take great care, especially if you let the candle cool completely.

Love the clean bottom of a pillar. To me it looks unfinished if you leave the wick exposed (don't mean to offend those that do leave their wicks exposed, just my little ole opinion).

wouldn't that leave a line from the diferent fill levels? wouldn't that also leave your wick pretty unstable? even though we can warn people to stop burnhing at 1/2 inch someone may forget and then you have a floating wick in the bottom of a candle that would hopefully put itself out, but may not!

I would also tink that the overpour would get into the cold mold cause drip lines

wouldn't that also leave your wick pretty unstable? even though we can warn people to stop burnhing at 1/2 inch someone may forget and then you have a floating wick in the bottom of a candle that would hopefully put itself out, but may not!

What other option is there besides using a wick tab? I don't like the looks of a wick tab exposed at the bottom of a pillar (looks unfinished, but that is only my opinion). :)

There are many candle makers besides myself that make pillars this way. As well as quite a few "major mass manufactured" candle companies out there. Been making candles since 1999 and haven't had a problem yet. That's not to say that I won't, but I don't lose sleep over it. :)

• 6 years later...

I use a steam iron, one with holes in the bottom. I set the iron at a low setting and and hold the iron upside down. The extra wax flows into the steamholes and pours out easily. I usually do this over an aluminum throw away pan and toss it in the freezer when the wax gets excessive in the pan. To much heat on the iron will build up on the corner of the candle so keep the heat low. Set it on a piece of parchment paper while it is cooling.

I use a cheese grater, one of those big rectangular ones. The fine setting. http://www.cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=117178

I knock off the rough bottom and set the pillar on a table and turn it next to a ruler, or measure in 4 or 5 places. If its within 1/16 inch, I'm happy, otherwise, I shave off a bit of the high side. Shavings go into my firestarter bin.

• 3 weeks later...