Olive oil prices...holy crap!

Grannyscandles

Who knew RBO could make such a silky lather, and why didn't you tell me earlier!
Yeah, I wish I had known about this earlier too. I've been testing with RBO and am really liking it. I also tried cooking with it and it's great - less greasy than soybean or canola oil.

Guest EMercier

I went to Costco and their extra virgin olive oil was $18.37 for 3 liters, so I figured it out to be about $3.06/lb. That's not bad. It's better than what I paid at walmart.

Pomace is just a lower grade of olive oil. The first pressing yields extra virgin olive oil. Then the second is a grade lower. After all those pressings, then they use solvents to extract the remaining oil, which is pomace grade. It's not necessarily bad for soaping, but it wouldn't be my first choice of olive oil for cooking with. :)

That's my understanding from the research I've done; however, my memory may be a bit rusty...I ain't getting any younger, yunno. LOL :laugh2:

Pomace is just a lower grade of olive oil. The first pressing yields extra virgin olive oil. Then the second is a grade lower. After all those pressings, then they use solvents to extract the remaining oil, which is pomace grade. It's not necessarily bad for soaping, but it wouldn't be my first choice of olive oil for cooking with. :)

That's my understanding from the research I've done; however, my memory may be a bit rusty...I ain't getting any younger, yunno. LOL :laugh2:

Yeah, I bought this for my soap making only.

I've been using RBO for a few years and never looked back. Wish I could find it locally. You can get a great deal at www.riceland.com

Call riceland, ask for Central stores, tell them you want pure RBO for soaping in the 5 gal jug, cost w/shipping is around $30 to me in KY. That works out to $6 gal or $.86#