Why did I want to do a fair this weekend? Pics added #1

RobinInOR

Someone remind me why I wanted to do a fair, first time on *cement*, when it's going to be 95-100F?

It's our local Bullfrog & Local Business Fair, sponsored by our new C of C. They have to water down the parking lot so the poor frogs don't cook their little feeties

Plus, DH won't be with me, I'll be alone. Dundee and his neighbor girlfriend dog Kiri were playing yesterday afternoon and collapsed from heat exhaustion - they had to be rushed to the vet for a saline drip. This was happening as I was still in the air coming home from a trip. He doesn't want to leave Dundee alone today, tho he looks fine. The neighbor dog is still at the vets, but is doing OK.

Think positive thoughts, I think I'm going to need it

Pics:

Me all hot with my little fan that died during the afternoon

BullfrogBooth0806.jpg

My last minute sign - made 1/2 hour before we left. Have to stain it. Hung with HTP1212

WGSign.jpg

Some frogs, but look at all the people who were willing to stand in the sun for their kids

BullfrogFair.jpg

I didn't think it got that hot in OR. Hope Dundee is doing OK. I'll be thinking positive thoughts for you as I'm sitting in the blacktop parking lot for our FM. At least we are having a cold front come thru. Only suppose to get up to 89 here today.

I feel your pain Robin - we are doing our first big show this weekend.. I was so misserable yesterday - in the 90's and muggy - WA and OR sound like they were pretty much having the same weather. We were on the street also.. ended up doing aound 400 yesterday - today is suppose to be cooler and typically the bigger day.. It will be interesing.. good luck to you - Hope those froggies feeties are okay.. lol

Good Luck - I know that I will not do anything outdoors until Oct around here - May was even iffy. I do not tolerate the heat well so I have stopped signing up for anything outdoors when it has the potential to be hot. I even have a small handheld fan in my "show box". I hope that it is not too miserable.

Barely :)

How did everyone else do this weekend?

It was pretty much a bust - 45 booths + the frogs. 105F :( I finally had to leave early, which I never ever do - I almost passed out after lunchtime it was so friggin' hot. 9x booth fee sounds like a lot, but when the fee was $10 it isn't :) Lowest I've *ever* done - about 1/4 my usual take. Better than I really expected though - even with the heat, it was fun to see neighbors. About 50% of my customer were repeats, 50% new.

Right at the end the fire dept opened a hose on the truck and sprayed everyone so it felt like a light rain - it felt wonderful!

I was next to the dunk tank and the "treasure hunt" (kids going for toys in a huge pile of hay) so there were lots of people standing around.

Did *anyone* have good weather this weekend?

Wow a 10.00 booth fee. That sure doesn't happen in my neck of the woods. Sounds like our usual take for the day is similar (son & I sell together, I never make as much as he does, he does the container end of the biz), but our booth fees are minimum of 40.00 (rarely) and usually more like 100.00 to 150.00 (sometimes for 2 days). The really good shows can cost around 700.00 for 3 days. All the people we have met in the circut seem to make much more than us lowely chandlers. 700-1500.00 for shows we make 400-500.00 for. Figure in gas and all the other expenses and it's not much. My son pays for most everything at this point cause I just started and wanted to see if my stuff is even going to sell. Hope the fall shows are better.

Sorry to hear that you weren't feeling well from the heat. I cannot imagine those type of temps. It was actually nice where we like at 83 degrees but I was at my mom's house most of the day where it was 101 and I was giving perms and haircuts. Ugg! At least mom and dad look good! :)

I hope your baby is feeling better today!

I have one show that I do periodically that is only $15 fee and I feel that $125 is a good day at that one. I have gotten to the point where I use the booth fee as my guide. I used to judge on overall sales but that is not very realistic. I think that anything above 5 times fee is worth doing again. Well, that is if the weather is good. The $15 show is twice a month all year round - you just show up and pay. It is from 10-3 so not bad time wise. I have not done it since May and will probably go back in October depending on my other business numbers. It is great to know if I am having a bad month that it is there to try to boost the numbers (or pay the bills really). I am really sorry it was so miserable but you made more than if you stayed home. At least that is what I tell myself when I am miserable at a show. I have done a few that physically made me ill from the heat.

Robin, you should make yourself some of those cool collars out of the smelly jelly stuff to help beat the heat.

this weekend turned out to be our biggest show yet.. just a tad under 950.00 booth fee of 65.00 YEA! Had a lot of repeat customers, and customers that were lookie loos - come back. Got orders - paid for in advance for me to make and send out... and it was much cooler - it was a great day yesterday. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif But OMG... the restocking I am going to have to do... off to do the inventory... :eek: :eek:

Robin - love your sign you are so talented.. and to do that so close to the start of your show....

I hope the dogs are on the road to a speedy recovery.. the weather here in WA has went down to the mid 80's hopefully that path is the same for you.

Nice set up, Robin. :)

I especially like your quaint Waters Gulch sign, very cute.

Hopefully the fall shows will bring you more revenue. ;)

The heat... UGH! I am usually a big fan is of the warm weather, but not lately with all this humidity here. Its 87 here with 85% humidity currently and its fine by me. We were having 90-100 degree temps with 100% humidity for weeks on end. It was like 86 at 4AM as well.. eeeeeeeekk!!

Sorry to hear about your dog. Hopefully all is well with him now.

They become almost like your children.

Crystal~ rock on girlie~!~

Sounds like you had a great day in sales, congrats.

This might not have been your best show, but you never know the repeat business you'll get as a result of the exposure you got.

I hope that your Dundee is feeling much better. Our furry friends need a little TLC too - I'm sure Dundee is getting his share.

The sign actually turned out better than I thought, thanks to DH. I just grabbed my logo from some labels and stretched it out. Luckily s Illustrator prints out in tiles - so that sign is 8 pieces of paper, cut and glued together, then mounted on a cutup cardboard box :) DH whipped up the frame, luckily he had some wood hanging around.

The local chiropractor stopped by, introduced herself, and bought one of my lip balms. And actually stopped back and thanked me for it, she liked it :) And a local day spa that just opened stopped by for a look - she makes her own soaps (she says), so I told her if she ever tires of it to look me up :)

Crystal, way to go! Sounds like you had a great weekend.

Had I of known Robin, I would have sent you some well wishes. I was busy melting in the high 80s low 90s heat. Doesn't sound like it would be hot, but it was. Sunburn to boot. Just glad the baseball tournament is over! Here's to good fairs and shows in the future though!