Scales?

I have two...a larger capacity that reads down to .X oz/X.g for wax, and a smaller capacity that reads .xx5oz/X.Xg that I use for FO's and additives.

Got the smaller one at OldWillKnot as well and love it!! I can't imagine not having the finer increments, makes it sooooo easy to do small batches of anything, especiallyy B&B stuff.

Decide what your use will be, how small you want to read, and OldWillKnot will have exactly what you need at a good price. HTH. :)

Ihave two digital ones from Bed Bath and Beyond...used a 20% off coupon that always comes in the mail...It was about $30...then the discount. I like them. I also have one that weighs up to 50 lbs that I got at Staples, but that I use for measuring large chunks of wax and for shipping.

Help, I'm confused. :confused: How can you weigh FO on a scale? I thought that liquids are measured in mls or fluid ounces not weight ounces - will someone please explain!

Whenever you measure FO's you should always go by weight. Oz/ml's represent volume and are not consistent from oil to oil. Some are heavier per lb. than others.

The only way to be truly consistent and accurate is to weigh. Put a container to hold your FO on the scale and press the tare button if you have it. If not, put container on scale and turn it on, should zero out. Then add your oil to the desired weight.

The same thing holds true for additives, IMO. I always weigh. A tsp. of this or a tbsp. of that is not accurate, and is subjective from person to person. The form of the additives themselves can also vary from vendor to vendor, one may supply something in pellet form, another is granular form. In that case, volume and weight will not be equal, and you'll have an inconsistent recipe.

Before I confuse anybody, let me start by saying that all professional candlemakers do everything by weight, including FO. So for anyone that may be more of a newbie and wondering how people do things, I agree with everyone else that you do it by weight. That also happens to be the only practical way if you need to figure out your materials costs for a candle, since at least 90% of suppliers sell FO by weight.

But for those who are interested in such things, let me just throw a discussion point out there. I have not yet seen a definitive answer as to whether FO weight or FO volume is technically more relevant to a candle formula and how much FO a wax can hold. If you look at IGI's studies on wax mottling you can read it to imply that volume of liquid is more relevant.

I have two...and a smaller capacity that reads .xx5oz/X.Xg that I use for FO's and additives. Got the smaller one at OldWillKnot as well and love it!!

Hi Beth, What model small scale did you purchase from OldWillKnot? Is it a pocket or table model?

TIA,

Donna