pay pal

that-girl

just wanna let all of u know I have a friend who just got rip off over 400. and still getting emails about stuff she has never heard of like a bmw she was supposed to have been buying. she has had 3 emails this week about stuff she has never heard of. and her checking account is - 450.00 so she has to come up with some serious cash. I thought pay pal was secure. it is also through ebay and other companys this person has used her account and when she calls to get info like a shipping addy they will not give it to her. I sent pay pal a letter wanting to know how this could happen. and what can be done to stop it. so please be careful I know we all use it...

that girl

I have been receiving a flood of emails recently from "Paypal" (not!) saying there was suspicious activity on my account and wanting me to link to another site to verify my account. Forward such emails to spoof@paypal.com before making any response to them. Paypal will let you know if the email was sent by them or if it is someone phishing for information. Like Grumpy Girl said, Paypal is secure so long as you are cautious and protect your private information.

Yep I agree with both Bev and Grumpy. She is not going to be liable for anything if she did not buy it. I don't think it is a "PayPal" thing, I think it is more of a common sense thing. If you cannot manage money well, and are nieve (sp) to internet fraud, no you should not be doing any kind of business online. Plain and simple. I have gotten WELL over 1000 of those "phising" emails, but I dont click a single one. When I get those emails from PP for ex. that say "We think someone has accessed your account" or "We are having problems with your account" etc. Well I delete the email, and just go to the site via my own bookmark. IF there is anything wrong with my account, it will tell me there. I also keep close track of my accounts.

Just a side note but this thread itself seems kinda weird to me. You mention she is scammed over 400 dollars, you mention how much money is in your friends account, and you blatanlty mention that she needs some money. I sure hope you are not trying to take advantage of the generosity of some people on this board. I am not saying you are, I am just saying it sounds fishy to me (TMI). I hope I am wrong.

Adding something else here.

Paypal or Ebay will always address you by your real name.

Those fake emails always have dear paypal or ebay user in them.

That is always a way to know they are fake

But like everyone else said.

Never click on those links.

If ever in doubt about either account, log into paypl or ebay and check it on the site instead.

I get so many of them too.

But people still fall for them.

I actually got one last week from Ebay, in the form of a user asking a general question about an item... accusing me of telling someone that I had the same item that this person had for sale and that they were going to sue and complain to ebay about me if I didn't reply right away. Of course I deleted it and went about my business since I hadn't had anything for sale on ebay in months and months. I had gotten a similar one a few months prior, worded in the same broken english. I think they test for "live accounts" this way.

You have to be smart when it comes to this stuff. Hell, ebay even offers a tool that will afix to your browser and detect whenever you click on a fake ebay link within an email.

Fakes are easy to spot... hover (don't click) your mouse over the link in the email and check out the URL that comes up by your mouse. It's generally always to an IP address.

I pay every bill I have online, do my banking online and a multitude of other things. And like it's been said, I check EVERYTHING on a very regular basis and the really important ones several times a day. Hell, I don't even bother with balancing my checkbook anymore, it's all online and in real time, so when I buy something it's automatically reflected in my balance. And believe me, I know what I spend and when. I'm great with numbers when it comes to my money.

IMO some people need to leave the online stuff alone if they can't manage to keep up with it on a regular basis and be "street smart" with it.

I had something happen to me,only not involving paypal or ebay.Someone got ahold of my bank card # and made a nice little transaction.

First off, have your friend go to her bank and dispute the charges(my bank called their fraudulent charges dept for me).They will trace the disputed charges. After you do this, CLOSE OUT THAT ACCOUNT.

Second, go to your local police dept.They may refer you to the police where your bank is located, but your local police will direct you.Then make a copy of that police report,give a copy to your bank and keep one for your records. The police stated that it is getting easier to get ahold of your Bank visa, etc. especially if you shop at unsecure sights.

This is why I started using paypal. Before I would use my reg. CC or the one that deducts funds from my checking.Apparently this person must have hacked into somewhere online that I used my #.The weird thing is, when the police caught up,the person was not using my name, buy a MALE alias.

Good luck to your friend. I hope this helps.

Good point. Another thing that is on the rise is store employees using CC numbers from folks that have made legit purchases. It's happened around here recently. I'd be more leary of that than anything personally. It's so easy for them to imprint the card or just jot the numbers down. Scary really.

hahahaha... This is funny.

I get tons of calls from people that respond to those spoof emails and blame PayPal.

I ask a simple question...did you give your password? They say no, all the site asked for is a credit card number. Then I tell them if you got that far then you have given your password to the spoofers.... I have people argue with me about that.

Then there are those that argue the fact that PayPal did send them the email.

The key now to identify the spoof is a link. People are selling email addresses and names for solicitation just like they do names and phone numbers.

Links are bad! hahaha

just wanna let all of u know I have a friend who just got rip off over 400. and still getting emails about stuff she has never heard of like a bmw she was supposed to have been buying. she has had 3 emails this week about stuff she has never heard of. and her checking account is - 450.00 so she has to come up with some serious cash. I thought pay pal was secure. it is also through ebay and other companys this person has used her account and when she calls to get info like a shipping addy they will not give it to her. I sent pay pal a letter wanting to know how this could happen. and what can be done to stop it. so please be careful I know we all use it...

that girl

It is hard to understand some of your wording to know exactly what all are saying in this post. Paypal works by having an e-mail id and you setting up accounts and cards to that I.D. and you usually have to have a password to access that account. If she is being ripped off, then she needs to contact her bank, paypal and ebay and figure out what is going on. She is not responsible for the charges if she didn't make them. If they were made against her credit card, same thing, contact the CC company and report it. She should be the one communicating with paypal or ebay or whoever if it involves her. I agree with Grumpy, I have banked online for years and years and do almost all of my transactions via cards and paypal, not even sure the last time I actually wrote a check. I have never had any such issues, ever. You have to be very dilligent and stay on top of your accounts and take action right away if something looks off. It all really boils down to common sense.

I had a weird thing happen like that a few years ago. There were pay-pal debits to my savings account which is NOT linked to my pay pal account. I went to the bank and signed a statement that I didn't make those transactions and they gave me my $$$ back that day and disputed the charges. I bank at a little credit union so I would totally suggest that she go in and talk to the bank !!

I am not a scammer I do not want money. I was just wanting to warn everybody that someone is going around dong something with account. I enjoy this board I have been on here a while I also buy from the classifieds alot. I just did not want to see anybody hurt. she is trying to get her money back the bank told her they will file a dispute and try to get her money back. but they did not guarrenty it. she is try to get a location of the address where this stuff was shipped. thanks for the imput on maybe how this could have happened . we have no real clue. so this will help her to know better next time.

thanks,

that girl

If ever in doubt about either account, log into paypl or ebay and check it on the site instead.

Absolutely true! Don't even open emails from ebay or paypal. Both will send you the same message on their secure site. Log into paypal or ebay and check your messages their.

That-Girl, I never got the impression that you were a scammer or looking for money. Seems strange that anyone would. I think we all have no doubt that your friend made a mistake somewhere. These things happen.

Not long ago, a friend overheard her husband on the phone, he was saying "no, we did not change the security code, we don't even have an alarm" and hung up. When his wife asked who it was, he said some "security company, wrong number". When she asked him if he realized that he had just verified that their home did not have an alarm system, he responded "ooops.." :tiptoe:

I have been receiving a flood of emails recently from "Paypal" (not!) saying there was suspicious activity on my account and wanting me to link to another site to verify my account. Forward such emails to spoof@paypal.com before making any response to them.

LOL! I feel your pain Bev.

I'm in the same boat. Some mornings I have have over 15 phishing emails from PayPal and EBay (yeah, right). I don't even bother to send to 'spoof'. I just delete them.

my 2¢

I always get those emails also. Stating someone adding an email address to my account, if I authorized it, click the link below............

NEVER DO THIS!

If you have any questions, go to the paypal website and log in.

Never reply......................!

They try to get you any way they can because people are vulnerable!

And people who do not know better will click in those links because they think they are doing so to "protect" their account, when in actuality they are opening the door to unscrupulous folks who will access their account to attempt to bleed them dry. Be safe everyone!

I always get those emails also. Stating someone adding an email address to my account, if I authorized it, click the link below............

NEVER DO THIS!

If you have any questions, go to the paypal website and log in.

Never reply......................!

They try to get you any way they can because people are vulnerable!

I really think that is what happened to my friend I will have to aske her I remember her saying a few weeks ago that she got an email someone was using her account and she was trying to check it out. humm she got scamed big time. the reason I said she had 400. for charges it that but she has overdraft fees and bounced stuff because she thought she had money. that is where the 450 came in. she is trying to see if she can find where stuff was bought and get a shipping address to report whom ever it is doing it she did close that account . the bank said they will likeley never get caught at it. which sucks that is why I was warning everybody to be on alert.

thanks

that girl

I would have BIG issues with that bank of hers !! I'm almost willing to guess what bank it is. If the transaction is not actually from Paypal they should re-fund her $$$ immediatly if the transactions came from Pay Pal she should get ahold of Paypal and the bank should still give her back her $$$$ It's sad but sometimes you have to be a B!tch.

Yup. I received 2 e-mails last week supposedly from a buyer wanting to know if the items I had listed were still available :laugh2:

Well, I've never listed anything. Clue #1

They didn't address me by my name. Clue #2

All the links in the e-mail point to the same non-e-bay addy. Clue #3.

Clue #4? I checked the ID they were using......although it had been a valid pay-pal username at some point, the name had been de-activated over 18 months ago. People go though great lengths to screw others.

Forwarded it to E-bay then deleted it.

I believe it is secure as long as you don't compromise this security by responding to any of the bogus emails. I often get emails addressed to "dear ebay member" - and I don't even have an account with ebay! The real emails will address you by your real full name and they usually are to tell you you've got cash or to confirm some other transaction and do not need to be responded to.

I get so many of them too.

But people still fall for them.

The scammers are getting better and better. There's been eBay and PayPal spoofs coming through with the recipient's real name in them, so that doesn't always mean the email is legit. Never log into a site by using a link in an email. Always go directly to the site through your browser.

Here is an example of a Scammers email sent to my husbands email account, (He does not have pay-pal).: I deleted part of the link since it is a scammer link (DO NOT CLICK ON IT). I wanted to leave part of it there so you can see how real it looks. A lot of people think since it says "PAyPal.com" that it is legit. HTH

paypal_logo.gif

pixel.gif

Security Centerpixel.gifpixel.gifpixel.gifpixel.gifhdr_securityCenter_240x120.gif

Military Grade Encryption is Only the Start

At PayPal, we want to increase your security and comfort level with every transaction. From our Buyer and Seller Protection Policies to our Verification and Reputation systems, we'll help to keep you safe.</SPAN>

pixel.gifpixel.gifpixel.gif

We have recently noticed one or more attempts to log into your PayPal account from a foreign IP address.We also have reason to believe that your account may have been hijacked by a third party without your authorization.

If you recently accessed your account while traveling, the unusual login attempts may have been initiated by you. However, if you are the rightful holder of the account, click on the link below to log into your account within the above-mentioned period.

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/deleted

If you choose to ignore our request, you leave us no choice but to temporarily suspend your account.

We ask that you allow at least 72 hours for the case to be investigated and we strongly recommend to verify your account in that time.

If you received this notice and you are not the authorized account holder, please be aware that it is in violation of PayPal policy to represent oneself as another PayPal user. Such action may also be in violation of local, national, and/or international law. PayPal is committed to assist law enforcement with any inquires related to attempts to misappropriate personal information with the intent to commit fraud or theft. Information will be provided at the request of law enforcement agencies to ensure that perpetrators are prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

Thanks for your patience and understanding as we work together to protect your account.

Sincerely,

PayPal Account Review Department

PayPal, an eBay Company