My thoughts about the new identity…

TallTayl

To get the ball rolling, here’s where I’ve been aiming, and why I get stuck.

The focus of the forum at this time  is anything scented.  Some are obvious, like candles, melts, soap, lotion, etc. plus perfumery, car freshies, room sprays, incense, heck even scented paper will fit.

as we develop our own line of unique fragrances for the membership, this name should be catchy, “sleek” and brandable. 

i have been playing around for years with names, but all seem like a mouthful. 
Scented Arts Forum

Scented Arts Network

Scent Artists

Fragrance Arts Network

Etc. 

i Google and go daddy check for existing places of similar names and stop because it’s all been done before. Before I give up and decorate the rut I am stuck in, I figured others might help create a new thought path to explore that might fit. 

let’s Ted Lasso this by tring on ideas, seeing how they feel, wearing them for a while and seeing how it plays out.

thank you for your thoughts on this. Let’s invite other members who you think will fit into this group well. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I agree👆👆!  I was trying but couldn't think of anything good or that made sense. Oh, actually,  just had the thought what about Made Scents. But really I was typing to say Scenter Square does fit perfectly because we're all about scents and this is like a town square for communicating about them. If you want to keep you business name separate then Made Scents or Make Scents is all I have so far

• Like 2

Sometimes I like to drop a bunch of nonsense words to start a brainstorm. No judgement on anything written, just words.  Kind of like doodling.  Scribbling randomly evolved into logos and petroglyphs.

It feels like we are inside the chrysalis, still a puddle of goo waiting to rearrange into something beautiful. 

• Haha 1

There’s an emotional component to this too. When asked, “where’d you get that?” Saying something cute and quirky is fun… oooh I got it at Lush. Found this at Etsy. Amazon. Brambleberry.
CraftServer isn’t fun to say. 

we are also artists with scent,  Scented Arts is taken, along with many variations, but we can morph something. 

the origin of my Scenter square name was that I live near the historic Woodstock square.  Our claim to fame is the movie Groundhogs Day was filmed here. 

? woodstock Fragrance Works. 

my logos usually have a spiral, which captures the symbolic journey we all make learning something new.

the forum has, for the most part, become an archive paying homage to ghosts of chandlers past.  We are actually foreword thinking, ambitious people who aim to make the best products we can.

some communities I belong to that inspire thoughts for us:

The Gardeners Workshop.  https://thegardenersworkshop.com
Lisa has a teaching model connected to a web store.  She is active in person, on YouTube, and in print. I find myself leaning toward this model as a personable, relatable an non intimidating resource. I’m not as inclined for the push of all of those paid courses, but I’m not opposed to revenue generating pieces. 

Ceramic Arts Network. https://ceramicartsnetwork.org

This is a learning heavy resource, with annual conferences.
The forum part is legacy, like ours. https://community.ceramicartsdaily.org

the Freebies section is neat. https://ceramicartsnetwork.org/freebies

Basenoteshttps://basenotes.com/forums/

this one is old, and cold, but is closest to what we are right now. Their software looks just like ours. They carry legacy info that is indispensable to the fragrance artists like us, and have cultivated a group of masterminds guide the newbies as we have.

• Like 2

I see where you're going and understand why things are so hard.  Basenotes is one I occasionally look at when I get stuck with my perfumes.  If I can think of anything, I will share it with you guys!  But, at this time Scenter Square sounds pretty cool!!!

• Like 2

the forum has, for the most part, become an archive paying homage to ghosts of chandlers past.  We are actually foreword thinking, ambitious people who aim to make the best products we can 

…This is speaking to me and hit me in an unexpected way 

if your not loving using your already known brand this could be an Avenue to pursue 

ghosts of chandlers past …. Now that phrase alone isn’t a good forum name but the idea and emotion behind it is strong 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, moonshine said:

the forum has, for the most part, become an archive paying homage to ghosts of chandlers past.  We are actually foreword thinking, ambitious people who aim to make the best products we can 

…This is speaking to me and hit me in an unexpected way 

if your not loving using your already known brand this could be an Avenue to pursue 

ghosts of chandlers past …. Now that phrase alone isn’t a good forum name but the idea and emotion behind it is strong 

I can imagine a set of fragrances to honor Vicky, Trappeur, Dave, Old Glory, Eucalypta and others not coming to mind easily right now.  

• Like 2

I love where this is going and agree with talltayls analysis of brainstorming. In design school for branding they taught us to do just that. Ironically, I’ve been doing the same for my own future brand. I had to dial it back and really get to the meaning and authentic purpose of what I’m trying to do. Authenticity is what sells or what I want to sell anyway. Think about the feeling I’m trying to convey rather than just focusing on the name. I think this thread is on that wavelength. 

some that came to mind to me are 

Generations Scent Works

Scents of Community

i particularly love the idea of the use of the word generations. I think it speaks to the past as well as the future. Just my two cents though! 😁

• Like 2

For some reason I'm having a creativity block and can't think of neat names except this one.  Fragrance Village, along the lines of your Scenter Square.

Edited by Laura C
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 6/13/2023 at 10:33 AM, TallTayl said:

the origin of my Scenter square name was that I live near the historic Woodstock square.  Our claim to fame is the movie Groundhogs Day was filmed here.

LOL, neat, I love that movie! 🎥 

Hi @TallTayl. Does not look like this discussion had ended, has it? I'll just throw some things out there. It may give you or others some more ideas.

Scents of Style

Scents of Achievement

Fragrance Fun

Fragrance Palace

Scent Social

All About Scents

Scent Works

The Scented Forum

Scented Art Forum

Scented Forum

Fragrance Forum

Anything Scented Network

Anything Scented Forum

Home & Body Scents

Scentful Life

Scentful Fun

Scent Talks

• Like 1

oh changing names is tough

Scentability" or "Scent-Ability" as in Scent and the "ability" to created scented goodies? 

Scented Senses?
Scented Crafts? Forum? Community? SCF or SCC short

Wheels are turning in this foggy brain of mine. LOL

So many great suggestions!!

I'm absolutely terrible with names, so I can't contribute any suggestions myself, but I'm curious, why the heavy focus on "scent"?  We have the "Fragrance Discussion" forum, of course (which is actually my favorite), but the other sections of craftserver never really struck me as "scent-centric."  I love a lot of the suggestions, but they only seem to capture a small part of what craftserver has to offer.

Edited by BenderSF
typo

16 hours ago, BenderSF said:

So many great suggestions!!

I'm absolutely terrible with names, so I can't contribute any suggestions myself, but I'm curious, why the heavy focus on "scent"?  We have the "Fragrance Discussion" forum, of course (which is actually my favorite), but the other sections of craftserver never really struck me as "scent-centric."  I love a lot of the suggestions, but they only seem to capture a small part of what craftserver has to offer.

My perspective is about choosing a clear focus. Initially CS was formed by a fragrance company, then it took a few meandering paths into other things briefly under evolving leadership.  We’ve  always leaned to the initial specialty of a fragranced arts centric forum, versus an all encompassing craft hub.  For instance, polymer clay, paper crafts, etc have their own specialty communities. We can do anything, but we can’t do everything. This community is the premier spot for making anything that involves fragrance.

what we need now is a catchy, sharp identity to take it to the next level. The discussion portion will still be here in a forum format, albeit simplified and reorganized.  Everything will remain, just better organized.  We will be adding a new shiny front where people can find a clear path to learning and mastering their new hobby, and potentially turning it into a thriving business. 

• Like 1

Ah!  Thanks for the background and perspective!

With the staggering amount of talent from the members here, I know whatever name you land on will be perfect.  As always, I'm grateful to be in the company of such inspiring folks!