NG sold to WSP

Lizzy

3 hours ago, jackbenimble said:

They just bought Elements too! Wonder when they’ll purchase Candle Science LOL 

Candle science was rumored to have been purchased by a fragrance house over a year ago. Timing was about when the complaint reviews for changed favorites began.  

• 3 weeks later...

I had no idea about NG.  I don't order a ton from them and most of the scents I get are not best sellers but I'm not ready to discontinue them either.  I'm pretty sure my last order was under the new ownership.  As a rule, when I order, I get enough for at least 6 months or more so I'm only ordering from them once or twice a year and if I got an email announcement, I missed it.

What I hate most about companies selling out is having to replace candle scents.  I no longer trust the new companies not to tweak something without disclosing.  It has happened before.  With soap and bath and body, it either works or it doesn't and it's not as hard to replace a scent.  With candles, there are so many factors and the smallest one can ruin the throw and burn...I know I'm preaching to the choir lol.  It's a good thing I'm an old woman and retiring is not out of the picture at this point.  I'm starting to feel I can't rely on any of my suppliers long term.

• Like 1

On 7/18/2023 at 10:23 AM, jackbenimble said:

They just bought Elements too! Wonder when they’ll purchase Candle Science LOL 

I think CS sold out to a Fragrance House a while back? I remember seeing something about it....somewhere. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/7/2023 at 2:24 PM, GoldieMN said:

@coffeebean In C1, I got an unbelievable throw with Midwest Fragrance's French Toast.  I may have to blend with something as I'm not sure others would like it.  Also good throw with their Cocoa Butter Cashmere, Cranberry & Clove, Strawbery Pound Cake, and Cotton Candy Dreams.  The Cotton Candy was for a special order and now customer doesn't want it.  If you want it, I will send it to you free.  You just pay shipping.  I have quiet a few samples I haven't put in wax yet.

I did not like the smell of Sweater Weather and many others that were too much like a man's cologne.  What have you found has a good hot throw?

GoldieMN

I totally agree with the Cocoa Butter cashmere and strawberry pound cake. I sell a of her Iced Vanilla Woods. The Pumpkin Pecan Waffles is another good one in C3.

3 hours ago, NightLight said:

Well now the change is every company they bought you can shop on WSP. For example, Just scents on WSP site now as others.

KIND OF A MONOPOLY

I knew that was going to happen sooner or later. And all of them are based out of Ohio now.

I’m waiting for two sigma impact and their money backer, advance investment management, to realize the peak of the pandemic was an anomaly for the fragrance industry. It is already underperforming just 2 short years later.  At what point, and how, will they divest of the companies when the portfolio doesn’t perform as expected?

• 2 weeks later...

At my age, I've been struggling with the decision about ordering more jars, lids and wax.  I haven't been able to wholesale candles for a year or two because of cost but I have a couple retail booths they do great in so I'm working up an order for all three.  I still do melts and I'm considering votives.  At this point, I'm not interested in shipping but that could change.

I jumped on the palm wax bandwagon but when my current supply is gone, I won't be buying any more for a couple reasons...they never got it in a bag that was under the fifty pound weight and since the shortage in all things palm, I don't see it in stock any where.  Thank goodness I'm not in my prime and depending on it.  Still, I put a lot of work into testing it and used it in pillars and melts.  It was so easy to work with but my customers didn't like it as well in melts so they will be happy to see the old formula back.

I assume WSP has not bought out Lonestar and Aztec yet.  As far as I know, for my area, they are the only suppliers left with the assortment of waxes, etc. I need for candles.  I'd love to see LS or Aztec get BC but that would be a long shot.

I never saw this coming over twenty years ago but should have.

Wow,  This is so depressing!!  I had slowly stopped using WSP past several years because of the insane prices on their oils, but remember the days not that long ago when you could order from NG and most of them were about $13-$14 lb.  then if you bought 5, you would get another $1 off each.  Although some of their oils weren't the highest quality, they did have some great ones that were good performers & best sellers for me. Rustic E was one of my favorite suppliers for years, then WSP took over.  Oils that I paid $16-$17 lb for few years ago, went to close to $30 over more when WSP took over.  Didn't know that Flaming went with them too.  I think I will have to throw in the towel if FB, Aztec or any of the others decide to sell.  Horrible news!

• Like 1

Lightkeeper, I agree.  They are squeezing out the small candle/soap makers.  Of course, there are many options with soap.  Candles are a whole other story.

In my younger years, I got my wax, lids and jars directly from the source and if your business is big enough, I'm sure that is still an option.  You could do the same with fragrance oils but it's been my experience, that ordering directly from the fragrance house in this day and age, is no cheaper unless you are ordering in pretty big bulk.  WSP is cutting off their nose to spite their own face.  They'll put all their own customers out of business with high prices.  It could have been a good thing..one stop shopping.