USPS Delays are Massive right now. Ship priority for the best chance of your package moving USPS

TallTayl

A nice gentleman from the Delaware post office phoned me just now.
He explained that the sequence of packages being worked through the system are:
Overnight
1-day priority
2-day priority
3-day priority
first class

He gently explained that all packages are required to be cleared from the individual post offices by end of day and shipped to the regional sorting facilities. Due to the current package shipping volume and staffing shortages related to the pandemic, packages (especially first class) are significantly backed up at the regional sorting facilities.

Long story short, it is on its way, just stuck in a regional sorting facility. the automated system will generate the next tracking information once it is scanned to move to the next post office depot to your customer's address. I feel so badly for everyone waiting for delivery. 

I have put a few FedEx packages into the shipping vortex and they seem to be moving faster. FedEx will not guarantee delivery days and very well may be late also, but the volume is lower so you have a better chance of a package being delivered before Christmas. In the cases where FedEx uses USPS for last mile delivery it "should" be OK since the bottleneck at USPS appears to be at the main sorting hubs.

I mailed two packages on Wednesday of last week, priority 2 day mail.  The one from here ( Maryland) got to Seattle destination today.  The one to New York is still in Washington DC facility!  

And I am still waiting on a FEDEX pkg to get here....says it has been on the truck for delivery since Dec 2.   

And a USPS pkg just dropped off the tracking radar! 

UGH! 

• Sad 1

I spend most of my day responding to inquiries about where packages are.  I drop loads off at the PO with a SCAN form, so at least it shows change of custody to the PO. But many, many, many have no other scan after that. People of course ask that I just go to the PO and pick up their package and send it FedEx.  If only it were that easy. All PO clear packages onto giant 18 wheelers at night and the trailer gets left at a sorting depot. 

I am so sad for my customers. Bayberry tapers are a tradition, practically a religious belief. Most won’t arrive for Christmas Eve, and at this rate not even New Year’s Eve. Selfishly I mourn the loss of sleep and time I spent making, packaging and shipping them immediately only to disappoint.

• Like 1

I am sure you did everything right to try to ensure timely delivery . 

I can see your frustration knowing once you ship the packages it is out of your control.

Your work ethics and caring about each and every customer should help you sleep at night. 

Merry Christmas! 

Edited by barbaranj
  • Like 1

60+ First Class packages from Dec 7th are "at the sorting facility"  which I get,  but ones from Dec 8th have already been delivered.  I would mind if it was truly first in first out.  but clearly that is not the way it works.  Now shipping everything priority mail.  Add $2.50 to the cost of each item now. 

The is over $300 in postage and $1200 is revenue.  

1 hour ago, MilosCandles said:

60+ First Class packages from Dec 7th are "at the sorting facility"  which I get,  but ones from Dec 8th have already been delivered.  I would mind if it was truly first in first out.  but clearly that is not the way it works.  Now shipping everything priority mail.  Add $2.50 to the cost of each item now. 

The is over $300 in postage and $1200 is revenue.  

Are you adding the shipping in the listing or eating it?

Learned something new from my PO today.  FedEx and UPS are protecting their delivery metrics by capping the number of parcels allowed by their bigger customers.  All the rest are forced into usps. 

that explains why some of my parcels I ordered with FedEx have not en picked up for days. and of course for the excess parcels through usps.  They just can’t catch a break.

14 minutes ago, barbaranj said:

I understand the busy season along with Covid has contributed to the overload of packages.  What I do not understand, especially with so many people able and willing and needing a job, is why not hire the extra and much needed 

help? 

Last I read 16,000 postal workers are out due to c-19.

I think some of this is also ripple effect from the summer time shenanigans with staffing and machinery issues.

the bottlenecks are the regional sorting facilities. Trailer trucks are lined up with no place to unload. 
inside there’s a mountain of things to sort.

742A13DA-BC73-4DB6-B7C4-44BDF74719EA.jpeg4B6F0DAA-0983-44D2-BDB3-0B890774B165.jpeg

most of my unhappy customers are in the PA and Jersey areas. Yikes in this article.

https://www.inquirer.com/business/usps-package-tracking-delays-philadelphia-christmas-2020-20201218.html

Jeeze Louise....a visual sure explains everything we have all been experiencing. 
As frustrating as it is  to see those photos, I do not expect I will be rushing to my mailbox anymore. 
Patience will have to be 

the key at this point. 

Thanks for posting in such detail, TallTayl 

• Like 1

I ship Priority only and the last few orders that went out took 8-16 days to get to their destinations. It's crazy!! Trying to explain to customers that it's literally out of my hands once a package leaves here is even crazier. LOL

5 hours ago, Lizzy said:

I ship Priority only and the last few orders that went out took 8-16 days to get to their destinations. It's crazy!! Trying to explain to customers that it's literally out of my hands once a package leaves here is even crazier. LOL

Today items shipped priority on 12/2 are finally beginning to surface. 17 days. 😭

I’ve read estimates of 10 million new packages a day being added to the already gigantic mountain of back up.

before accepting new orders I reach out and ask if they want to cancel since there’s no way it will ever arrive by Christmas, and probably not by NY either. 

I changed how I reply to inquiries to help diffuse the already peaked anxiety. “Out of my hands” added gas to a fire 😢 

For priority inquiries, something like this:

Hello!!
This month with USPS has been so frustrating and heartbreaking. 
Your package shipped Priority, so it should be handled in sequence after Overnight express. I see the same info on USPS.com as through Etsy. The postmaster assures me it is not lost, just waiting in line at a regional sorting facility on its way to you.

Many of the packages I'm following with customers have been delivered with no tracking updates until after it arrives at the mailbox.  

I'm keeping an eye on this with you.
Warmly (name)”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

for first class and others as needed: 

“This is happening all across the US. I’m so sorry this is happening to us. My heart is breaking for everyone waiting patiently. The post office is overwhelmed with record numbers of holiday packages and staffing shortages due to Covid, along with excess packages from FedEx and UPS (both capping their shipments).

Many of the items shipped since Thanksgiving have not had any tracking updates until after they were actually delivered. It’s like nothing we have ever seen before. 

The postmaster has gently advised me that the sequence of package processing is 1) overnight express, 2) 1-day priority, 3) 2-day priority, 4) 3-day priority and 5) first class. 

I will keep an eye on your package along with you.

Wishing you a happy, healthy holiday season,

(Name)

11 hours ago, MilosCandles said:

I wonder if anyone will file a class action lawsuit against them for all the delays.

Good question. None of the shippers “guarantee” service times.

I’m disappointed that Etsy wasn’t more up front about realistic shipment delays than a tiny banner. 

I am so annoyed. Shipping priority mail packages does nothing. I am hoping fedex comes out with small package rates because USPS is useless. I ordered two things on Etsy and its been over a month and not delivered. Granted the two sellers did not turn around quickly which added fuel to the late fire. 

I am not getting buyers on Amazpn messaging me cause Amazon is telling them that the package must be lost.  WTF.  I have numerous packages from 12/6/2020 still not delivered.  Almost all the packages after that are atleast slowly moving through USPS, but those from that date are crazy slow.

Most of the Priority Mail ones I have shipped in the last 2 weeks have been taking about a full week to arrive.

I have been reading horror stories about Amazon refunding customers and taking it from Indie Sellers without prior approval even for items warehoused at amazon and shipped by amazon. That’s not right at all. 

If you were getting priority packages through in a week then you are a wizard. Mine are taking upwards of a month depending on which coast they are going to. 

I have started filing lost mail insurance  claims following the usps posted windows by service. Something happened around 12/7-12/8. Loads of Etsy sellers are finding the same thing about most missing Packages around that time.

PA is about the WORST. Warehouses have been rented in several of the bogged states to hold the mountains of parcels that have not  moved in weeks.  

this is KILLING a lot of small businesses. We need to complain to our congressmen loudly. I am pulling product to a minimum  until this blows over. It will take months at this rate. 

• 2 weeks later...

Here is just a sample, I have of some mail over a month old still moving through USPS.  The 2nd week of December I switched to only using priority mail, mostly for the insurance.  Most of the items have been delivered but still a few that haven't been.

1st Class Packaged mailed 12/7 - Still not there

https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfirmAction.action?tLabels=9400109205568210493293

https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfirmAction.action?tLabels=9400109205568210526366

Priority Mail mailed 12/17 - Still not there

https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfirmAction.action?tLabels=9405509205568229280276

Priority Mail mailed 12/22 - Still not there

https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfirmAction.action?tLabels=9405509205568236094118

https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfirmAction.action?tLabels=9405509205568234205332

Priority Mail mailed 12/31 - Still not there

https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfirmAction.action?tLabels=9405509205568939079597

https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfirmAction.action?tLabels=9405509205568241030378