Who sells the strongest and best scented frangrane oils for making candles?

QueenB016

I think it all depends on each individual scent, how you want it to smell according to your own tastes, and how you're going to use it.  So, in other words, I'm not sure there is "one ideal supplier" of fragrance oils ... it seems every company has their specialties and unique blends.  This is why you'll find so many threads offering reviews of so many different scents. 

• Like 2

Yes!  Scent preference would be very subjective.  First, we all need to realize the fact that there is no such a thing as good and strong or weak scents.  Everyone has different sense of smell.  The scents that I consider too strong can be too weak for many others.  And the scents that I consider too weak can be too strong for many other people.  Same thing with good or bad scents.  I might love some scent that can be hated by many others.

Try to find something that you believe in that will fit very well for your targeted market, and it is your job to find customers that will love your selections.  Do not discourage by the ones that would not like your selections.  Because there are many others who will love your selections also.  You need to know your targeted market preferences in order to come up with good selection of your own scents.  If you can become a candle maker who can start a fragrance trend in your area or targeted market, then that would be considered as your success.  One more thing to add is that if we do not have the right wick for the candle, then this supposed to be good FO would not perform at all.

As for buying wholesale, Lonestar is only one of hundreds candle making suppliers out there.  All of these candle making suppliers would not be considered as wholesalers.  They would sell to anyone without a business license, and we pay the same price that any general public would pay.  Good news is that we still can make money buying from them, and the quality of their product is equal to real wholesalers.  For fragrance oils, only wholesalers would be fragrance manufacturers or fragrance houses.  There are hundreds of them, too.  Firmenich, Givaudan, Mane, IFF(International Flavors & Fragrances) & Symrise would be considered as top 5 in the world.  They own or bought up many smaller fragrance houses such as Agilex which is owned by Firmenich.  

So, who has the best fragrance oils?  That is a question that no one can give you clear answer.  Whether it is from candle making suppliers or manufacturers, only your ability to find right customer for your selections would provide final right answer for that question.

• Like 3

Every place you can buy fragrance oils (with a few exceptions) has scents that I like and dislike.   And every place has ones that work easily in most everything and ones that I can't make work.

As far as the ones I've had the best luck with, I'd say it's between Candle Science, Flaming Candle, and Candle Cocoon.

But lord knows I haven't tried a fraction of the ones in existence so my experience may be nothing but luck of the draw.

I think probably the best way to start is to figure a kind of scent you want and ask people what they have used that worked well for them.   If a scent threw well for experienced chandlers you've got a higher chance of it being something good.

Depends, on what your are looking for , for sure fragrances are subjective, % of load is also subjective 5% of Vanilla or 8% of vanilla, will probably smell and throw the same way and only with a GC analysis you could tell which candle has more fragrance.  Also a name is subjective, if you buy French Vanilla or Madagascar Vanilla or Vanilla Cake scent, they are all pretty much the same.  

Also, a post above, talks about fragrance houses, that data is correct, i would add in Texas you can find a small boutique fragrance house, called Clarity, that i have used before.  Lone.. and Candle.. are 1 of many fragrance  and wax suppliers.  also, in waxes brand name means not a whole lot, for example Paraffin wax from IG.. and Exxon or Dalian wax ( china) are chemically extremely similar, the strictest paraffin guidelines are in Europe, and a refinery that exports to them is Dalian China and not the US.  Also, look at import data and the US imports boatloads of wax, so just because the wax reads made in USA it does not mean it got refined in the US.  I say for crafters Ebay is a good place to look for paraffin and soy.  Soy is interesting, but pure 100% is hard to work with, its best to look for a blend. FYI the softer the wax the better the throw.  

I personally have experience blending perfume, so I am looking for some more unique scents I can use to blend my fragrances. Scents that are strong, clean, and as natural as possible, when applicable. I have tried Indigo and do not like any of them. They have a synthetic soapy backnote that is off-putting. I have had much better luck with Candlescience and The Flaming Candle. But I am always searching for recommendations from anyone who has had any luck finding strong, natural-smelling, clean scents that work well. I know there are a lot of variations and not every scent is a winner on any line, but I am always looking for new options to test out to expand my blending collection. 

Cheers!

1 hour ago, Spahhgirl said:

I personally have experience blending perfume, so I am looking for some more unique scents I can use to blend my fragrances. Scents that are strong, clean, and as natural as possible, when applicable. I have tried Indigo and do not like any of them. They have a synthetic soapy backnote that is off-putting. I have had much better luck with Candlescience and The Flaming Candle. But I am always searching for recommendations from anyone who has had any luck finding strong, natural-smelling, clean scents that work well. I know there are a lot of variations and not every scent is a winner on any line, but I am always looking for new options to test out to expand my blending collection. 

Cheers!

I quite like Aztec's oils, I've never had any weird gross smells with theirs. I like some of Northwood's too but they are more expensive.

• 2 weeks later...

Like others said, you're going to find good and bad oils from all the suppliers and it depends on your preference. I don't care for birthday cake from Aztec or Lone Star so I wouldn't tell anyone to try their birthday cake even though a lot of people love it. I love the one from Fragrance Buddy or Rustic Escentuals or Peak (now sold at Keystone). It really depends on what you're looking for and your own personal preference in a scent.

I would check out Fragrance Buddy, Aztec, Lone Star, Flaming, Candle Science and many  more. They all have oils that are great and unique to them.