Other pics!!!

cybersix

This time I'll show you a rustic tha completely satisfies me considering the difficulties I have to go through! It's a 3x6 pillar scented chocolate and coffee. the colors I chose are butterscotch, chocolate brown and brown

(Top, as you see I tried immediately the dye blocks!!! thanks!!!)

Please be honest and tell me how it looks.

The second is a ball, scented fresh cut roses.

Thank for looking

(sorry for things you see in pics.. I'm in a hurry so I didn't think at a better place to take the pics)

post-1267-139458391622_thumb.jpg

post-1267-139458391625_thumb.jpg

post-1267-139458391628_thumb.jpg

Great looking candles Cybersix! Now I'm going to have to ask you an incredibly stupid question... :rolleyes2

From what I've gathered in my very brief intro to candle making... a "rustic" effect is achieved by placing the mold in the freezer for half an hour before pouring the wax. Right? If that is the case, how do you get layers? I thought that if one of the layers was too cold, the next layer wouldn't "adhere" to it?! :undecided

Sorry for the questions! I'm trying to learn as much as I can as fast as I can! I want to be able to produce masterpieces like those! :drool::grin2: Thanks in advance, Cybersix! :cheesy2:

As far as I can tell, the only thing wrong with all of them is that I don't have one. ;)

Fantasticfabulous! That pillar is excellent - great colors, great patterning ...

The sphere appears to have a slick spot, but otherwise, love those subtle layers.

From what I've gathered in my very brief intro to candle making... a "rustic" effect is achieved by placing the mold in the freezer for half an hour before pouring the wax. Right? If that is the case, how do you get layers? I thought that if one of the layers was too cold, the next layer wouldn't "adhere" to it?! :undecided

Jaye -

Trish, who I consider to be one of the top Rustic Queens, I believe pours her wax into room temp molds. The "trick" is the pouring temp ... I think it's around 150* (for paraffin), and many/most add stearic to their wax. If you search Trish's posts, I'm sure you'll find her pearls of wisdom.

Layering is achieved by tilting the mold. You can lean the mold on it's edge or you can rest the mold on uncooked beans or rice in some kind of container.

The danger of layers is waiting too long to pour the next layer. Once the candle is a certain amount of cooled/solid, the wax pulls away from the mold wall. When you pour the next layer, the molten wax will run down the candle in the space between it & the mold wall. So, the trick is to pour the next layer when the surface of the previous layer is solid enough to support a new layer. You'll just have to keep an eye on it. You'll also find that adhesion will take care of itself under these conditions.

Make sure to take & keep notes.

thanks, but I'm not the rustic master!!

Anyway you have to pour cooler that what you do for a smooth candle.

I found out that non all waxes are ok for this kind of work, but since I'm in italy I can't suggest you what wax to use, you have to ask to ours american fellow chandlers.

When I pour one layer I move gently the mold so wax splashes a bit on the side.

Then let it set til I see if I move the mold wax doesn't move. then go the same way with next layer and so on.

When I pour I don't care if some wax splashes on the side of the mold, so don't worry about it.

You can pour slow and you'll have something called "jump lines", very nice if you like it.

Don't care about freezing the mold, because after you do the first pour it will get hot, so it doesn't make sense.

Just try with your wax and find out wich is the better temp for you.

Write down all that happens, so you can remember mistakes and good things.

Good work, I want to see your pics!!!

Hey Donita I have still so many things to try!!!

Thanks for your words!

Sabrina.....everything you are doing is very pretty. I look forward to your next experiments. Pretty soon you will have done it all!!!!!.....then what will you do?......LOL Donita

The "trick" is the pouring temp ... I think it's around 150* (for paraffin), and many/most add stearic to their wax.

Layering is achieved by tilting the mold. You can lean the mold on it's edge or you can rest the mold on uncooked beans or rice in some kind of container.

The danger of layers is waiting too long to pour the next layer. Once the candle is a certain amount of cooled/solid, the wax pulls away from the mold wall. When you pour the next layer, the molten wax will run down the candle in the space between it & the mold wall. So, the trick is to pour the next layer when the surface of the previous layer is solid enough to support a new layer. You'll just have to keep an eye on it. You'll also find that adhesion will take care of itself under these conditions.

Make sure to take & keep notes.

Thank you Mtngrl! I took note of everything you said and made my first "rustic" layered candle yesterday. All in all, it didn't turn out too badly. Of course, not in the same league as Cybersix's, but not bad for a first attempt. I did have to make one change... I didn't have dry rice/beans in a container that I could use, so used the fridge (and items therein! :grin2: ) to tilt the mold while the wax cooled. You're right about it taking some time to learn exactly when to pour the layers. Some of them I didn't wait long enough and the colors kind of blended, others ran down the sides because I waited too long... but making mistakes is the only way to learn and that's half the fun! :cheesy2:

Thanks again! :smiley2:

Those turned out grat! I really like the pink ball :)

Thank you Mtngrl! I took note of everything you said and made my first "rustic" layered candle yesterday. All in all, it didn't turn out too badly. Of course, not in the same league as Cybersix's, but not bad for a first attempt. I did have to make one change... I didn't have dry rice/beans in a container that I could use, so used the fridge (and items therein! :grin2: ) to tilt the mold while the wax cooled. You're right about it taking some time to learn exactly when to pour the layers. Some of them I didn't wait long enough and the colors kind of blended, others ran down the sides because I waited too long... but making mistakes is the only way to learn and that's half the fun! :cheesy2:

Thanks again! :smiley2:

You'll probably find that cooling it in the fridge will severely limit you "layer pouring window". The time between when the pervious layer is too cool and pulling away/too hard for next to adhere to it and too warm making them blend. For tilting you can use anything that's dry and can shift as you wiggle the mold down in it. Personally I like dried beans when I'm not using a water bath. When I am, I use rocks/pebbles or sand in a bowl set in the bottom of the water bucket. Just remember you still need to poke your relief holes at some point.