Firestarters...

slaztoo

I don't put wicks in my firestarters because I am so afraid someone will light it sitting on their mantel or grandmas 100+ year table

Your firestarters look better than mine! Mine always end up red because I use just scrap wax etc., and once all the scraps melted together it would be a strange color so I would add red color.

I don't put wicks in my firestarters because I am so afraid someone will light it sitting on their mantel or grandmas 100+ year table

Good Thought! You never know what someone will do with fire starters just because they have a wick in them.

Thanks for all of the kind words. They are fragranced Twigs & Berries. I put wicks in them because I don't use paper liners (and I have a ton of left over wick scraps), but...the tag that I put on each pack of them has very specific info as to what they are & how they are to be used. :D

wow never heard of those before... I'm guessing they are not ment to be lit? They look very neat and unique... anyone that could elaborate a bit for the newbie here... lol thanks for sharing

They are used to start fires in the fireplace, campfire etc.

How I make mine

First I line a muffin tin with paper cupcake liners then I fill the liners with hampster cedar bedding then I melt scrap votive/pillar wax and scent with cinnamon then pour over bedding. If the bedding packs down after pouring I will add a little more bedding on top before they set up. Then let completely cool and pop out. I package mine in a cello bag 2 across & 3 high then tie off with some raffia ribbon and place a name & how-to lable on the front.

I scent mine so strong that you can take them out of the package and put them in a basket beside the fireplace. That way they act as a room freshener until you use them to start your (real wood) fire in the fireplace.

I've been making fire starters for years. I love them and as Candleman said, they look pretty just sitting in a basket which is one of the ways I sell them . However, I will not put wicks in them as I have in the past because even with a sign on my display and each and every package labeled with a caution that fire starters are not candles, people burn them as such. Last winter I received a phone call from a very irate customer that bought them at a store I have an account with and said My friend could have gotten hurt and her child was in the room when she lit the 'fire starter candle'. ..No matter how many signs I have posted, people will not pay attention. I leave them in the paper liners.

At the risk of sounding like everyone else, they are too pretty to burn. <G>

I am currently using sawdust, but not the thin, small sawdust that you can get free from Lowe's or Home Depot. I use the wood chips that you get when you cut trees with a chainsaw. I find that they light faster and burn longer than regular sawdust. I tried using the paper cups, but found that the paper absorbed the wax too much and it was hard to get the paper to light.

wow never heard of those before... I'm guessing they are not ment to be lit? They look very neat and unique... anyone that could elaborate a bit for the newbie here... lol thanks for sharing

HUGS

Here's a little help for the newbies. If they have a wick in them, they ARE meant to be lit. Maybe the phrase "fire starter'' would give you some insight? Glad to be of some help to a newbie.

Welcome!!!!

Those are so neat. And thanks, Candle Man, for sharing your "recipe." I think I am going to make some of those for my fall craft fair in November. Scented in Cinnamon and displayed in a basket, I think they would be a real hit.