I finally jumped in!

franu61

15 hours ago, Candybee said:

Great job for your first cp soap! Love the color combo and its perfect for that scent. Bet you can't wait to try it!!!

I actually did try a little scrap...felt great.  As for color I was going for purple and blue but the purple morphed.  :)   Couple questions:  Is that soda ash on top and can I do anything about it at this point?  I see a couple air bubbles, is that because I didn't bang it on the table hard enough?  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, franu61 said:

I actually did try a little scrap...felt great.  As for color I was going for purple and blue but the purple morphed.  :)   Couple questions:  Is that soda ash on top and can I do anything about it at this point?  I see a couple air bubbles, is that because I didn't bang it on the table hard enough?  

It looks like a bit of ash on the top. I've learned over the years to make sure my soap mold is covered during saponification. When I finish making my soap I put the mold cover on and leave it on overnight. No peeking. Got rid of 99% of my ash problems with this method. I typically leave my soap covered for about 18 hours. So when I finish making my soap and cover it, I don't take the cover of until the next day giving it time to mostly saponify overnight. The more saponification has occurred the less chances of ash. Most of it happens within the 1st 12-24 hrs but it can continue for up to a few days. The point is to not expose the soap to air while its saponifying. Air exposure aids ash. You'll see a big difference once you get in the habit of covering your soap and NOT PEEKING!!

There are ways to prevent air bubbles. One is to gently stir the batter after you SB. SB can actually cause air bubbles in the batter so afterwards I gently stir my batter with my rubbermaid spatula just before pouring into the mold. You can actually see air bubbles break up when you do this.

Second, if you suspect there might be air bubbles left in batter, slamming the mold against the counter several times may help. However, if your batter got quite firm and you could only spoon it into the mold, press it down as best you can and slam the mold hard against the counter to try and work out any remaining bubbles. Depending on how solid/hard the raw batter is will play a part on whether you can work out all the air pockets.

Others may have other methods but I find these 2 work best for me.

Edited by Candybee
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Candybee said:

stick blender or stick blending.

Lol!  I was just writing out notes (somebody on here said to keep a soap diary)  and I wrote stick blended...ad the light bulb went on  :)    Thank you

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...