New Dupe Underway

TallTayl

Was heartbroken and sick to my stomach recently to lose one of my top 3 FO recently when the source decided to discontinue.

Silver lining!: I'm working with a great local lab to duplicate it! I'm confident it will be as wonderful as my other dupes, and most importantly it will keep my peeps happily supplied with Faerie Wings! FW an apple/berry/cyclamen blend that sells out in every single wax and beauty product I put it into. 

The lab is an hour away, so freight charges will be a fraction of what I've had to fork over in the past. Very hopeful that the per lb prices will be affordable for all.

Once it is back and fully tested I'll share it here first. 

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

the dupe arrived last Thursday.  I snuck it into wax with a last minute run for faire. Lit it yesterday and it's pretty perfect.

Pricing on it for 25 lbs with estimated freight, bottling, paypal fees, etc. looks like $19.88 per lb.  This is so much easier to swallow than the original $35+ per lb from the original source that discontinued it. If we were to make it to 50 lbs, the price drops by about $4 per lb.

Planning to soap it today to be certain it's great there, and awaiting IFRA then I'm thinking it's a go!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CandleRush said:

These sound great!

I’m not familiar with any of those fragrances. Is there a description anywhere? Thanks!🌸 

here are a couple of old threads with descriptions and photos 😃

It’s doing great in c1, woot!

soaped it today and it seems to be easier than the original. Double woot! Won’t know for a bit how it performs long term, but based on all the others through this lab I have no fear.

I think I have enough left of the sample to test in coconut wax.

once I get the ifra I’ll be ordering the 25 lb min. I plan to keep at least 5 lbs, so 20 potentially up for grabs. 

HOW do they deconstruct an FO to figure out what it takes to dupe the scent?  I somehow don't think they have a magic box where they stick in an FO & it spits out a piece of paper saying "3\4 blackberry, 1\8 apple, 1\8 vanilla".  And some combos meld in such a way that you can't pick out the constituent parts.  So how do they determine what to try mixing to recreate a scent?

1 hour ago, Darbla said:

HOW do they deconstruct an FO to figure out what it takes to dupe the scent?  I somehow don't think they have a magic box where they stick in an FO & it spits out a piece of paper saying "3\4 blackberry, 1\8 apple, 1\8 vanilla".  And some combos meld in such a way that you can't pick out the constituent parts.  So how do they determine what to try mixing to recreate a scent?

gas spectrometer. Spray the stuff in and the gasses are examined for the chemical components. build the copycat using whatever aromachemicals they have that are close enough..

• Like 2

I don’t know if it matters to you but I contacted Candle Science about Gardenia going away and Asian Amber which was a dupe of a very expensive French candle line and they said they reformulated due to California Prop. You might want to check with your dupe company to see if they are in guidelines for California!?