I may have a wax problem

Maybe I’m just paranoid, or maybe I have given in to the vast candlemaker’s conspiracy to scare away armatures, like myself; but this new 6006 I just got from Flaming is a little darker, and a little harder than what I got before. All I am doing right now is trying to get my wicking right for various FOs. If this throws my wicking off I am screwed. I still have some old 6006, so I guess I could make a test candle out of each and see what the difference is.

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, NightLight said:

That’s why I decided not doing any of these mixes from suppliers and making more of a custom blend that I can adjust.

Too many variables which each box, just when you think you nailed, it nails you😳

Raw materials vary along ranges of acceptable by manufacturers too, so as long as you understand the materials and can adjust accordingly it’s all good. 

I started as a soap maker, understanding early that every lot of raw material has a different saponification value (and fatty acid balance) within a given range. Reading the CoA and adjusting the rest of the formula results in a fairly reliable end product. 

Likewise, if buying a years worth of wax at least you can master the lot number and be AOK for the year. 

It’s all a total and complete PITA to have to though. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, YellowButterfly said:

Oh darn...and I was just getting ready to purchase 6006 from Flaming...

It will probably be 3 weeks before I can burn them, but I just made a candle with the old and new wax. I'll try and remember to report the results here.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Laura C said:

I can see now how that would be ideal. :(

I'm documenting everything now, LOL

I just made a candle with the old 6006 and one with the new 6006. Thanks to TT I have enough data now so that once I get to burn them I'll know exactly what the difference is and be able to adjust accordingly. Of course all of this sets me back a month.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TallTayl said:

Better a month than, well years for many of us. 

Fingers crossed. 

That's for sure, I wish I was only a month behind. LOL. As for candle making, I can't even tell you how many times I thought I was ready to announce to my family that I finally have a safe, reliable, sellable candle formula only to get smacked down by either a wicking or scent throw issue. *deadhorse*

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, TallTayl said:

I have considered it, believe me! Or 4627. The allure of every candle throwing is pretty powerful. Or a blend of the two. Sigh. 

I wanted to try 4627, but nobody in my area carries it and the shipping was astronomical. Lone Star carries it so at some point I'll be in Dallas and I'll be able to pick it up.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Forrest said:

I wanted to try 4627, but nobody in my area carries it and the shipping was astronomical. Lone Star carries it so at some point I'll be in Dallas and I'll be able to pick it up.

No wax is perfect. I’m betting I could wrangle some serious soot from either 4627 or 4630 in my containers.  Heck I’ve burned 4630 and can attest to unintended black soot 🤪. Like anything else, though, you can puzzle through it. 

Early on j233 was amazing to work with, threw like the dickens nearly nauseatingly. Then I would have to clean the jars. 😒 the wax changed soon after so I stopped playing with it, but man was it a good starting place. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Arch Rock said:

Forrest, there has to be a better (and more consistent) source for that PITA 6006.  Although great throw and ease of wicking is my main consideration when choosing a wax, secondary considerations have also included shipping costs and consistent quality.

I’ve never had a problem with 6006, but I’ve only been at this for two years. bfroberts said she had a similar problem with some 4630 recently but it was only with one batch. I’m wondering if the problem was the paraffin, and the source of the problem was IGI. Nothing to be done about that.  FC is the closest source of 6006 to me. Next time I’m going through Atlanta I’m going to pick up a two year supply.

• Like 1

Well, like TT said, if you've already established  a baseline with those 13 using "good" wax, if you get bad burns on what you just poured, you'll know it's the wax.  I vote for blaming it on Chinese tariffs.  (Actually they deserve every yen of that because they've been stealing our candle secrets for decades).

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, NightLight said:

I have a box of 4627. Did many blends with it but the soot did me in. I like the cleaner burning candles. Yes, I’m happy to adjust and tweak my waxes.

have your tried Flaming Parasoy. That is my favorite blend with paraffin.

I'm trying to learn one wax right now, maybe when I've mastered 6006 I'll branch out a little more. That is interesting about the 4627, I'm using 4630 as an "instant gratification" wax so that I can give my 6006 candles the cure time they need, maybe I should just stick to that.

6 hours ago, Forrest said:

I’ve never had a problem with 6006, but I’ve only been at this for two years. bfroberts said she had a similar problem with some 4630 recently but it was only with one batch. I’m wondering if the problem was the paraffin, and the source of the problem was IGI. Nothing to be done about that.  FC is the closest source of 6006 to me. Next time I’m going through Atlanta I’m going to pick up a two year supply.

When I got that super hard case of 4630 I wondered if subsequent batches of 6006 would be affected. That 4630 scare was what had me running back to 6006....even though I had completely sworn it off forever.  However, none of the 6006 that I've used since then has been wonky.  None of the 4630 I've used since has been wonky either.  I'm glad I have a good stock of both since my vacation is almost over and I'll get back to making candles.  I'm not up for learning new things right now.

Good luck @Forrest

• Thanks 1