IGI 6570A Scent Throw

Hi everyone,

I have been following @pughaus very detailed and helpful wick testing results in this wax.

Have anyone any feedback on how hot throw/cold throw is with this wax. Better than Accu-Blend Coconut 83? Comparable to the amazing hot throw of IGI 4627?

Also, does anyone know the ratio of paraffin in this wax?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/15/2018 at 4:17 AM, strugglebrother said:

Hi everyone,

I have been following @pughaus very detailed and helpful wick testing results in this wax.

Have anyone any feedback on how hot throw/cold throw is with this wax. Better than Accu-Blend Coconut 83? Comparable to the amazing hot throw of IGI 4627?

Also, does anyone know the ratio of paraffin in this wax?

Hi @strugglebrother. I have been interested in testing the IGI 6570 coco para wax myself and also wonder about the cold & hot scent throw. I would imagine that it has great C&H scent throw since there are several threads on here about that particular wax. I haven't noticed anyone saying that it doesn't have strong C&H scent throw. Seems like almost everyone that has used it has had good things to say about it. I think I'm going to order some and try it too. Have you tried it yet?

I have been using Coconut 83 wax and I really like how it looks and wicks but I can't get reliable, strong C&H scent throw from it. Seems like no matter what I do, I never know if my candles will be strong or not. It's too risky. Course my wax could be an off batch or something so I may order another small bag and test it again. It's worth it because it has been a nice wax other than that. There are some threads on here about the Coconut 83 wax too so I'm going to read over them again and see what I can find out. Good luck.

Edited by Laura C

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @strugglebrother@pughaus, @moonshine, @TallTayl, @olives, @Trappeur, @Jcandleattic and anyone interested.

I assume IGI 6570 and IGI 6570A are the same wax, not sure. This is regarding IGI 6570 paracoco wax. I don't know what percentages of paraffin and coconut make up this wax.

I made some candles in 3" diameter, straight sided round jars. I followed the wax instructions which were all low temps and I ended up with jump lines and weak C&H Scent throw. I used 8% scent (up to 10% max suggested). I heated to 170 and added scent and then poured at 155. (On a side note, I know, sorry, I heard about the rabbit testing with this wax but I already had it ordered 🐇).

Wax temp instructions per Aztec Candle & Soap Supplies were :

Heat to & add scent 160-170

Pour at 150-155

I’m going to try this next time:

Heat to 190-195

Add scent between 185-190

Stir 2 mins

Then pour

Will the hotter temps improve cold & hot scent throw and eliminate jump lines?

8 hours ago, Laura C said:

Then pour

Will the hotter temps improve cold & hot scent throw and eliminate jump lines?

How long did yours cure?  

I didn't get jump lines in that wax but I did get sinkholes and wet spots in the few testers I poured..

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, pughaus said:

How long did yours cure?  

I didn't get jump lines in that wax but I did get sinkholes and wet spots in the few testers I poured..

Thanks @pughaus. I cured them for 2 days before I burned them. It has now been 4 days and the c&h scent throw is still fairly weak. I can smell the scents but not very strong. You think they need to cure longer for the scent throw issue? Do you have good scent throw with that paracoco wax?

Edited by Laura C

@Laura C   Honestly, I didn't test the wax with fragrance enough to say much about the throw.  But I have found that in general in my cocowax tests; throw and burn quality tends to improve after 1 week+.  Ideally I (try) to let mine cure 10 days or more.  Also, if you are using an htp 105; I'd say try some testers with an 83 or even a 73... I suspect that 105 is going to get very hot n smoky as you get down the burn.  A wick down + longer cure may improve your throw.  

What FOs are you testing in this?

Edited by pughaus
  • Thanks 2

51 minutes ago, pughaus said:

@Laura C   Honestly, I didn't test the wax with fragrance enough to say much about the throw.  But I have found that in general in my cocowax tests; throw and burn quality tends to improve after 1 week+.  Ideally I (try) to let mine cure 10 days or more.  Also, if you are using an htp 105; I'd say try some testers with an 83 or even a 73... I suspect that 105 is going to get very hot n smoky as you get down the burn.  A wick down + longer cure may improve your throw.  

What FOs are you testing in this?

Thanks @pughaus, good to know. I tested Christmas Hearth and Bourbon Butterscotch, both from The Flaming Candle.