Don't know whether to laugh or cringe

I just read where a lady just started candle making yesterday. Had a  whI'm and just went and bought several things to make candles. She said I was thinking why not so I did. So she made a few candles let them cool and then sold them immediately. Then she said she made another batch and  as soon as they cool she is  selling them today! She has never made a candle in her life she said. Didn't do any research either. She also made wax melts that she sold as soon as they hardened up. Then she said that she's going to go out and buy a ton of stuff in bulk. She said this stuff's expensive but since people are ordering as soon as she post she figures why not.  I just want to scream. I am very worried about these candles. There is no way that these candles are good. I'm glad she doesn't live close by to me.  I do not know her. I saw her online.

Also I've seen other people that sell their soy  wax melts fresh and candles too. They said it's fresh so you don't have to wait around. They said curing is a myth. Yeah right 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Their a dime a dozen these so called candle makers you see on the web and you tube.    All you can do is roll your eyes and move on.  Nothing you can do except if you want to be bold enough to go and post to her comments if you wanted.  Others would see it....It's a down right shame when you see stuff like this.   I also cringe when I see you tube videos of how to make a candle when they know nothing what so ever about how to truly make a candle, no less a safe candle.    And yep, people will go and do buy from people such like this.   Be glad you don't know this person.

Trappeur

• Like 3

Well, honestly, some “seasoned” “experienced” makers are just as bad. I know of quite a few that don’t test anything new before selling, so how is that much worse? 

Take that time and energy spent watching others (and worrying) and devote it into your own products. We can’t save everyone.... she will figure out pretty quickly when the wheels fall off the wagon. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, ncraiders said:

Wow, I would laugh but then I think about the poor people that bought those candles and what could happen with a potentially terribly bad made candle.

😱

That is true. I was also concerned as the lady could fail because of this too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Trappeur said:

Their a dime a dozen these so called candle makers you see on the web and you tube.    All you can do is roll your eyes and move on.  Nothing you can do except if you want to be bold enough to go and post to her comments if you wanted.  Others would see it....It's a down right shame when you see stuff like this.   I also cringe when I see you tube videos of how to make a candle when they know nothing what so ever about how to truly make a candle, no less a safe candle.    And yep, people will go and do buy from people such like this.   Be glad you don't know this person.

Trappeur

I am very glad I don't know this person. I had thought about telling her what she was doing was wrong. but then she would think I was being nosey and she would be right lol I had to laugh as I read this other lady posted that it took her a week to perfect her candle making. She said it's a simple as that. Just devote  one week and you'll be a pro lol yeah right

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TallTayl said:

Well, honestly, some “seasoned” “experienced” makers are just as bad. I know of quite a few that don’t test anything new before selling, so how is that much worse? 

Take that time and energy spent watching others (and worrying) and devote it into your own products. We can’t save everyone.... she will figure out pretty quickly when the wheels fall off the wagon. 

You are right. I need to spend more time getting my own stuff right and that's what I do. I have been working for months and I think I'm finally confident to sell some things again . I don't make candles though and I do not want to. It is too hard lol I just have a heart for people and I don't want anyone to get a bad product from her. I also don't want her to fail because I know I don't want to fail. There's plenty enough people to buy from all of us so I want her to be able to sell and have fun too. I don't know her at all. I just feel bad because it looks like she's heading in the wrong direction. one thing I'm not understanding though is why people are paying her $16 for a 6-oz candle. And it doesn't look good either the candle or the packaging. And the scents sounds awful too. And she's using cheap Hobby Lobby stuff. 

1 minute ago, ShelleyF said:

I am very glad I don't know this person. I had thought about telling her what she was doing was wrong. but then she would think I was being nosey and she would be right lol I had to laugh as I read this other lady posted that it took her a week to perfect her candle making. She said it's a simple as that. Just devote  one week and you'll be a pro lol yeah right

Wow,  and another idiot joined the first one.  I have been messing with just my palm wax for a few months now and am still trying to find a good wick for my jar and wax.  Honestly i probably would of said something to them myself just for the safety of anyone buying those candles.  They would probably not listen to me but I would of atleast tried to keep a potential danger from happening.

The only thing that would make this any funnier would be if they said they were using soy wax as we all know that wont be ready in a day or two let alone a week.

• Like 1

You are right. I need to spend more time getting my own stuff right and that's what I do. I have been working for months and I think I'm finally confident to sell some things again . I don't make candles though and I do not want to. It is too hard lol I just have a heart for people and I don't want anyone to get a bad product from her. I also don't want her to fail because I know I don't want to fail. There's plenty enough people to buy from all of us so I want her to be able to sell and have fun too. I don't know her at all. I just feel bad because it looks like she's heading in the wrong direction. one thing I'm not understanding though is why people are paying her $16 for a 6-oz candle. And it doesn't look good either the candle or the packaging. And the scents sounds awful too. And she's using cheap Hobby Lobby stuff. 

I have a couple of hobby lobby fragrances that i bought not long after i started messing with candles but never used them and i found out most of that stuff is crap.

• Like 2

Just now, ncraiders said:

Wow,  and another idiot joined the first one.  I have been messing with just my palm wax for a few months now and am still trying to find a good wick for my jar and wax.  Honestly i probably would of said something to them myself just for the safety of anyone buying those candles.  They would probably not listen to me but I would of atleast tried to keep a potential danger from happening.

The only thing that would make this any funnier would be if they said they were using soy wax as we all know that wont be ready in a day or two let alone a week.

That's the thing it is soy wax! That's what made me really go, oh geez! Well they're not going to listen to me because they would think I'm just a competitor. I don't make candles I make melts but she makes melts too. she doesn't even fill it and I fill mine all the way to the top. but she said since she is so successful immediately she's going to go buy a ton of stuff in bulk now and go to the next craft fair! She said this is a very exciting new career for her. she said she thought it would take a little bit longer to get successful but she's going with it since she's doing great.

That's the thing it is soy wax! That's what made me really go, oh geez! Well they're not going to listen to me because they would think I'm just a competitor. I don't make candles I make melts but she makes melts too. she doesn't even fill it and I fill mine all the way to the top. but she said since she is so successful immediately she's going to go buy a ton of stuff in bulk now and go to the next craft fair! She said this is a very exciting new career for her. she said she thought it would take a little bit longer to get successful but she's going with it since she's doing great.

I feel like this is really gonna go bad for them in the end.  I do kinda feel sorry for them as I don't want anyone to fail at business but in the end sometimes it take them failing a time or two to realize that they are doing something wrong in the first place.  I know they will probably get some repeat buyers even with poorly made/performing candles and melts.I mean look at all the terribly made candles you find in stores that cost you 30$ or more and people eat those up like candy.  It just goes to show that somone uneducated in candles will buy a higher priced candle figuring it will be better than a cheaper one when in reality the cheaper one might be 100x better quality wise than the expensive one.  I do feel bad for the uneducated buyer that think they are getting a good product not realizing it is a poorly made candle and more than like poorly burning candle.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShelleyF said:

Craft shows are a different animal. People (strangers) have become very suspicious of handmade candles - at least out here. It took me a full three years to finally start making any real headway at my in-person events. The first year a couple of people might try you out if they get a good vibe and the price is right. The second year, if good, a few might repat buy, and other potential customers might notice you. By the third year, more might repeat and try if you’ve done things well. You’re at the mercy of weather, location and everything else. It takes quite a bit of luck, hard work and perseverance to make it at craft shows. 

Hoping the craft venues she is at require proof of Insurance! 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, ncraiders said:

I feel like this is really gonna go bad for them in the end.  I do kinda feel sorry for them as I don't want anyone to fail at business but in the end sometimes it take them failing a time or two to realize that they are doing something wrong in the first place.  I know they will probably get some repeat buyers even with poorly made/performing candles and melts.I mean look at all the terribly made candles you find in stores that cost you 30$ or more and people eat those up like candy.  It just goes to show that somone uneducated in candles will buy a higher priced candle figuring it will be better than a cheaper one when in reality the cheaper one might be 100x better quality wise than the expensive one.  I do feel bad for the uneducated buyer that think they are getting a good product not realizing it is a poorly made candle and more than like poorly burning candle.

That is true you don't always get what you pay for. I'm not impressed with Yankees candles. I would never buy one for full price that's for sure. I tried it years ago as a gift but I would not pay that.

40 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

Craft shows are a different animal. People (strangers) have become very suspicious of handmade candles - at least out here. It took me a full three years to finally start making any real headway at my in-person events. The first year a couple of people might try you out if they get a good vibe and the price is right. The second year, if good, a few might repat buy, and other potential customers might notice you. By the third year, more might repeat and try if you’ve done things well. You’re at the mercy of weather, location and everything else. It takes quite a bit of luck, hard work and perseverance to make it at craft shows. 

Hoping the craft venues she is at require proof of Insurance! 

Oh I know you work very hard. I'm admire you  and you do excellent work. You have such pretty pictures of your setup. You deserve to succeed you and many others on here put lots of Blood Sweat and Tears into this. I am pretty sure she doesn't have insurance. I really hope they do require it though. she is already posted her second set of candles and she made a lot more this time. She's pumping these out like it's nothing. then she said she doesn't want to take pictures outside because it's too much work so excuse the poor quality pictures. I thought the first impression was everything?

My point was just to allay some fears that she will release a ton of candles at craft fairs. She won’t. Then reality will catch up.

The days of ‘if you melt it they will buy’ are long gone. Candles are a tough market. Soap is now too. Everyone can do it, so why buy?

Very few newcomers do well at shows any more. There has to be some established name or something really, truly unique and desired by that particular market of shoppers. 

When I was relying on shows I was about to close up shop. Had I not found a better venue for my business model  I would not be here right now. Seriously, I was closing up and listing stuff on Craigslist when a dear friend persuaded me to try the Faire. It was all last minute to fill a void at their venue. I created a new brand, tried like heck every single day until I figured things out. It took several years - even with a captive audience - to make any real money. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mamabear said:

Oh Lord!!  Test! Test!! Test!!!  I hate it when people think this is a cheap and easy "business". It makes us that make them properly look bad...

I know it is not cheap. And definitely not easy. I agree with you. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bfroberts said:

I like tell myself that if people do not have the desire and the perseverance to do a thing well, they probably won't do it long.

That is true there's a few people I've seen that I really quit after a few weeks.

“Hoping the craft venues she is at require proof of Insurance! “

It all seems like easy peasy money...until your hit with a law suit....Insurance is needed in this day and age..be it candles, or bath and body products. 

• Like 2

The scary thing about it is that people could get seriously hurt. I had a booth set up on the 4th of July and an acquaintance stopped to say hi and asked what I was doing. I told him about my melts and he pulled up his shirt to show me his stomach which healing from massive burns. He said they bought a candle from a friend who had started making them and it exploded on him. He won't burn candles anymore. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

23 hours ago, Sebleo said:

The scary thing about it is that people could get seriously hurt. I had a booth set up on the 4th of July and an acquaintance stopped to say hi and asked what I was doing. I told him about my melts and he pulled up his shirt to show me his stomach which healing from massive burns. He said they bought a candle from a friend who had started making them and it exploded on him. He won't burn candles anymore. 

That is awful that happened to him. It is very scary how many people don't know how to make a candle. That sounds very painful.

• Like 1

On 8/1/2018 at 7:29 PM, Jupiter’s Delight said:

“Hoping the craft venues she is at require proof of Insurance! “

It all seems like easy peasy money...until your hit with a law suit....Insurance is needed in this day and age..be it candles, or bath and body products. 

I know and people love to sue which is sad. 

I have a very dear friend that has recently started buying leftover wax from a wax factory and making container candles with it...from what I can gleam, it is CONTAINER wax and we all know how that will burn in a glass jar....I remember her making the comment that she wondered how many drops of FO to put in each candle.........DROPS......give me a break here.

She lives aprox 200mi away and I told her that when I had the time, that I would come visit her and bring some container wax, wickes, scales, etc, etc and spend a day with her to show her how the ''''world'''' actually works.

There is no way that this friend can afford to purchase the appropriate supplies to make candles for sale but I hope I can educate her a little bit. She and her husband both have extreme health issues and live on SS benefits....so there isn't much hope in her being able to buy the appropriate products and do the proper testing.

It's really difficult when the uneducated candle maker is a dear friend.,,,,,,kwim?