Shirley Temple Fragrance Oil why so expensive?

ShelleyF

I had bought Shirley Temple Fragrance oil from a destash recently. It is made by Bulk Apothecary. Well it smells very good so I looked it up to see how much it costs. I was going to order when I run out. Nope not going to happen lol $52.48 a pound! Plus shipping I wonder why. Does anyone know. 

Their oils are high.  They say they are stronger.  I don't know.  I only have one of their oils....Lemon Sugar....and it IS super strong and oh so very nice.  I am hoarding the heck out of it.  I wouldn't pay $52 for it, but I would pay substantially more than usual.  

I'd love to know if all their oils are of the same quality, but I'm too cheap to find out on my own.  Hopefully someone that knows will chime in.

Edited by bfroberts
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, ncraiders said:

It might have something to due with the factory fires which are causing shortages in certain ingredients that are used in the fragrance oil.

I was wondering if that was why. 

34 minutes ago, bfroberts said:

Their oils are high.  They say they are stronger.  I don't know.  I only have one of their oils....Lemon Sugar....and it IS super strong and oh so very nice.  I am hoarding the heck out of it.  I wouldn't pay $52 for it, but I would pay substantially more than usual.  

I'd love to know if all their oils are of the same quality, but I'm too cheap to find out on my own.  Hopefully someone that knows will chime in.

I don't know either but do love their Love Spell.

21 minutes ago, ncraiders said:

holy cow that is not the most expensive fragrance i just found one on there 16 oz - $133.00 that is stupidly ridiculous. 

why would anyone buy that

Wow that is ridiculous. What is the fragrance called? That would make for ridiculously high prices wax melts and candles. "This candle is only $75.99" lol now that makes the Shirley Temple one seem cheap.

3 minutes ago, ShelleyF said:

Wow that is ridiculous. What is the fragrance called? That would make for ridiculously high prices wax melts and candles. "This candle is only $75.99" lol now that makes the Shirley Temple one seem cheap.

South Seas Fragrance Oil  lol they claim that .5oz will do an entire gallon of unscented bases for Bath and body products and that most other companies need 1-3 oz for that same gallon but that does not mean a 133$ price tag. LOL these wax melts run 25$ for 6 melts.

• Like 1

WSP has some spendy oils too.  I've wanted to try their dupe of Happy, but it's about $45/lb, and at that price for the FO plus the other ingredients I'll need, I'm better off to just buy the Clinique products.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, bfroberts said:

WSP has some spendy oils too.  I've wanted to try their dupe of Happy, but it's about $45/lb, and at that price for the FO plus the other ingredients I'll need, I'm better off to just buy the Clinique products.

I wonder if the companies are paying  them to raise prices so there won't be as many dupes? I don't blame you. I wouldn't pay it. There are too many other great companies that aren't charging nearly as much. 

41 minutes ago, ncraiders said:

bulkapothecary's  more expensive fragrance oils are really only gonna benefit someone that needs 25+ pounds of oil as by that point it is under 90$ a pound

I can't afford that either lol I read a lot on the forums in here. I am taking advice and buying what I can. 

6 minutes ago, ShelleyF said:

I can't afford that either lol I read a lot on the forums in here. I am taking advice and buying what I can. 

i completely understand that.  i am on a fixed budget so i don't have that much money to spend each month.  Being legally blind really limits what i can do,  i get less than 800$ a month and that can go fast when buying candle supplies specially fragrance oils.  luckily for me i am doing this as a hobby so i can afford to take my time in buying fragrances to try out.  I am also llucky that my parents let me live with them as i need transportation since i can't drive.

Not sure, but could it be because it's under the hair and skin fragrances that it costs so much? I've only bought their lotion base, and it was the best I've come across. I tend to buy nearer to me, though, to save on shipping. They're in Ohio, I'm in Arizona. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, ncraiders said:

i completely understand that.  i am on a fixed budget so i don't have that much money to spend each month.  Being legally blind really limits what i can do,  i get less than 800$ a month and that can go fast when buying candle supplies specially fragrance oils.  luckily for me i am doing this as a hobby so i can afford to take my time in buying fragrances to try out.  I am also llucky that my parents let me live with them as i need transportation since i can't drive.

I'm glad your parents are helping you. You are very blessed to have them. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Hopie said:

Not sure, but could it be because it's under the hair and skin fragrances that it costs so much? I've only bought their lotion base, and it was the best I've come across. I tend to buy nearer to me, though, to save on shipping. They're in Ohio, I'm in Arizona. 

I have heard they are great with all their products. I just can't afford to try them much. 

5 minutes ago, ShelleyF said:

I'm glad your parents are helping you. You are very blessed to have them. 

yes i am. especially since they don't charge me for rent or food.  i do help out at times when money is tight for them so it does balance out a little bit.

• Like 1

I'm wondering if they have to pay any kind of royalties to use that name?  Does it really smell all that unique or special?  Is there something else close to it?

Get one of these duping places to dupe it......  🦊

16 hours ago, bfroberts said:

I think it is hit or miss, like with most companies. 

I use a handful of different FO's from bulk apothecary for my own use in body products, occasionally some for close friends or family. In my own experience, most of the FO's are indeed very strong when used in items like this (solid lotion, solid perfume, body butter, etc). Some are extremely strong, while others are simply decent. However, I recommended this company to someone making candles on here not super long ago, and they reported being less than thrilled with the hot throw. So with some of their FO's might be a difference based on what sorts of items you are making, too.

The main reason I will pay a little extra for some of their FO's in addition to being decently strong, is that their interpretations tend to lean earthy and woody, which I personally really like. A lot their patchouli/saffron/wood stuff is to my liking, and their blends like tobacco vanilla or cardamon cedar blossom have some serious oomph. I put those in some potpourri and it's like goodness gracious lol. I tried their oatmeal stout one for a foodie in my social circle, and that FO about blew my eyebrows off when I opened the bottle. But again that is cold throw / OOB strength. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, NaughtyNancy said:

I think it is hit or miss, like with most companies. 

I use a handful of different FO's from bulk apothecary for my own use in body products, occasionally some for close friends or family. In my own experience, most of the FO's are indeed very strong when used in items like this (solid lotion, solid perfume, body butter, etc). Some are extremely strong, while others are simply decent. However, I recommended this company to someone making candles on here not super long ago, and they reported being less than thrilled with the hot throw. So with some of their FO's might be a difference based on what sorts of items you are making, too.

The main reason I will pay a little extra for some of their FO's in addition to being decently strong, is that their interpretations tend to lean earthy and woody, which I personally really like. A lot their patchouli/saffron/wood stuff is to my liking, and their blends like tobacco vanilla or cardamon cedar blossom have some serious oomph. I put those in some potpourri and it's like goodness gracious lol. I tried their oatmeal stout one for a foodie in my social circle, and that FO about blew my eyebrows off when I opened the bottle. But again that is cold throw / OOB strength. 

I have the Oatmeal Stout from WSP and love it. It is strong OOB  but I haven't used it yet. But I will soon. I think their oils are great so far. The other ones I used so far have a strong hot throw especially the Cool Water type. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ShelleyF said:

I have the Oatmeal Stout from WSP and love it. It is strong OOB  but I haven't used it yet. But I will soon. I think their oils are great so far. The other ones I used so far have a strong hot throw especially the Cool Water type. 

Same here! As far as being pretty happy so far with the cold and hot throw from wholesale supplies plus FO's. Some of the FO's I am hooked on from them have better pricing, too, and get the job done.

• Like 1

On 6/4/2018 at 8:16 PM, NaughtyNancy said:

Same here! As far as being pretty happy so far with the cold and hot throw from wholesale supplies plus FO's. Some of the FO's I am hooked on from them have better pricing, too, and get the job done.

I really like WSP Blackberry Lemonade. It smells so good I want to drink  it. Lol of course I won't though.

On 6/2/2018 at 9:35 PM, bfroberts said:

I love many from WSP ,wait for the sales during  each season & you can actually get some great deals .The shipping is free , except the $5 handling fee .This company is good about having many sales thru out the year. I always purchase the sample 2 oz bottles , test & start my list .I wait for the sales & grab the ones I want . The prices are high ,so it pays to wait for one of the many sales . I think they may have a July 4th sale if I remember correctly .I get a email notification on every sale .I purchase many during Black Friday sale .😀

I bought once from Bulk Apothecary several years back. Never bought anything else from them again ever! They are way overpriced and I can get what I need elsewhere for a much better price. Places like BA that overcharge really get me steamed! :angry2:

• Like 1