Need help w/ wholesale contract

Trish

I need a starting off point quickly! I have no idea where to start with wording, etc so if anyone has a copy that they are willing to share, I would really appreciate it!

TIA

Gosh now I have to spoon feed you too!! J/K ;)

I hope this means good news!! I would send you mine too, but it was lost in the crash a few weeks ago. I am making one up, but I doubt Ill have it ready in time for ya. check out this board, I think it has some links to some wholesale forms somewhere: http://www.candlebusinesscorner.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi

Tess, I'm sooo gonna kick your ass! :P

I checked candlebusiness corner already and they didn't have a wholesale contract. I sat down to type one up and my brain froze. I have so many thoughts going through my head about what I want it to say, but would love to see some wording to help me out.

If you wanna call it spoonfeeding, fine by me! You know me... and yes...looks like good news...

Hi! I am new to wholesaling but have the opportunity. I am meeting with a shop owner tomorrow! Just a couple of questions: If I am selling to her out right do you all suggest I still draw up a contract? I would love to see one that someone has used for their accounts so that I get the wording right. Also, who pays sales tax? We are both in the same state. Thanks in advance! Ida

Tess, I'm sooo gonna kick your ass! :P

I checked candlebusiness corner already and they didn't have a wholesale contract. I sat down to type one up and my brain froze. I have so many thoughts going through my head about what I want it to say, but would love to see some wording to help me out.

If you wanna call it spoonfeeding, fine by me! You know me... and yes...looks like good news...

CHeck your email in an hour I have one for your state I believe

• 4 weeks later...

Do you guys use a contract with an actual wholesale account or just the consignment customers? If you use one for wholesale I would love to see some examples.

I am always curious about how other businesses and how they run! Lots of times you find out something you have been doing could be done lots, lots, lots better! :cool2:

I have my first wholesale account going through this fall. We've made verbal agreements but need to draw up a contract. So if you wouldn't mind sharing, I'd love to see examples of how people are doing it that hsa worked out for them. Thanks so much!!

• 5 years later...
I know this is a VERY old post but does anyone have any wholesale contract info available?

I have one but its too large to post as an attachment here. If you need it I can email it to you but need your email address.

I figured I would chime in on this since I have a couple wholesale acounts that buy from me. I do not have a contract with either. That is there is nothing for them to sign. I think more often than not you get a feel for a wholesale customer and will adjust things as your relationship blossoms.

I do have a wholesale policy that I give them that sets a few ground rules and more or less tells them the expectations for me. I keep it simple and tell them there cost, a minimum order (# of candles) and require payment upfront, as well as expected delivery times and options for delivery. Other than that there is nothing to sign.

My view is if they want to carry my candles in there stores then they will, if they don't then won't. Contracts I think make people feel nervous. Besides they are buying from me to sell, so once the money exchanges hands thats as far as I can go with it at that point anyway.

One of my wholesale accounts I do let do a net 15, but that was after months had gone by and we built a good relationship. So I am more than willing to do that for her and she appreciates it.

Don't make it over complicated and outline what you will do for them, minimums, returns, etc. and you'll be fine.

Bruce

A quick search will find quite a few threads on this subject.

Like everything else, a wholesale contract is subjective. Depending on the size of the accounts, you may need to adjust the wording to fit the customer.

Be creative. Know what you want and put it on paper. It's really not that hard.

I am like Brudil18.No contracts.One wholesaler uses our name and the other uses her business name.Fine with me either way. They pretty much know when the order will be shipped.This past craft season I got busier but the one wholesaler told me no hurry but needed them by the day after Thanksgiving.That was no problem.She ordered early and as I got candles made I would mail them.She got most of the order before the day after Thanksgiving.The last few candle were mailed about 4 days before.That way she wasn't doing labels etc at the last minute.This was a large order. And had another large order back to back with this one. Then craft shows to prepare for.This year starting early for shows.Summer for the Sept ones.

LynnS

• 1 month later...

My wholesale contract from my old business had guidelines: minimum, delivery/shipping info, payment info and info on lead time. it was a written guideline for them to refer to. After a few transactions I became more flexible with a couple of the small stores on the miniumum when they asked. I reminded them of the contract min; but allowed the lower min. Mainly because I needed the orders. I told them that as business for me grows I will not be able to do that.

I always received payment before or on delivery.

Trudi

I figured I would chime in on this since I have a couple wholesale acounts that buy from me. I do not have a contract with either. That is there is nothing for them to sign. I think more often than not you get a feel for a wholesale customer and will adjust things as your relationship blossoms.

I do have a wholesale policy that I give them that sets a few ground rules and more or less tells them the expectations for me. I keep it simple and tell them there cost, a minimum order (# of candles) and require payment upfront, as well as expected delivery times and options for delivery. Other than that there is nothing to sign.

My view is if they want to carry my candles in there stores then they will, if they don't then won't. Contracts I think make people feel nervous. Besides they are buying from me to sell, so once the money exchanges hands thats as far as I can go with it at that point anyway.

One of my wholesale accounts I do let do a net 15, but that was after months had gone by and we built a good relationship. So I am more than willing to do that for her and she appreciates it.

Don't make it over complicated and outline what you will do for them, minimums, returns, etc. and you'll be fine.

Bruce

I love it!

I write my wholesaling terms into my promo materials and sales invoices. That way the customer always has a copy. I don't have anything a customer needs to sign. Don't see a reason for it. If I were to have a difficult customer that needed such a written agreement then probably it would not be one I would want to do business with.

Do any of you that wholesale set the retail price for your candles? Just wondering because I have a client that was a little upset finding my website prices to be lower than her retail- which she set at double PLUS 10% PLUS a little extra more to round off the price. They cost me $2.43 (not including time, electricity, water, insurance, etc.) I charge her $4.85, she prices them at $10.99. She wanted me to raise my retail to match hers! In my location they sell very well for $8. I don't charge her $4 because I private label, and deliver sometimes 1 hour away and sometimes we meet half way. I also do a private jar for her in another size that is a huge 26oz. jar so LOTS of testing and using up wax for private scents. She makes $14.14 on those and I make $6.94. She really marks those high. I let it go for 5 years and now all of a sudden (her business is really struggling) she is concerned about me under cutting her. She was like "If my customers find out about your website, I will lose business!" So yesterday when I dropped off her order I said well if you want our prices to match here is what we can do.....first, you gotta lose that extra 10% and then rounding part...then we gotta go with MY label and I get to choose the scents. Then you have got to price them at my retail. She didn't like that. SHE wants to set the retail price. So do any of you set the retail price and put that into a contract? The reason she thinks she can price them for whatever is because she has no competition because she says that is HER territory and she has the private label...and she is actually getting that much for them so why not? Well, they will not sell for that much at shows and on my website, so I can't mark up my retail to match hers. She is making WAY more than I am and I have all the hard work and time. I am just not sure what to do.

Do any of you that wholesale set the retail price for your candles? Just wondering because I have a client that was a little upset finding my website prices to be lower than her retail- which she set at double PLUS 10% PLUS a little extra more to round off the price. They cost me $2.43 (not including time, electricity, water, insurance, etc.) I charge her $4.85, she prices them at $10.99. She wanted me to raise my retail to match hers! In my location they sell very well for $8. I don't charge her $4 because I private label, and deliver sometimes 1 hour away and sometimes we meet half way. I also do a private jar for her in another size that is a huge 26oz. jar so LOTS of testing and using up wax for private scents. She makes $14.14 on those and I make $6.94. She really marks those high. I let it go for 5 years and now all of a sudden (her business is really struggling) she is concerned about me under cutting her. She was like "If my customers find out about your website, I will lose business!" So yesterday when I dropped off her order I said well if you want our prices to match here is what we can do.....first, you gotta lose that extra 10% and then rounding part...then we gotta go with MY label and I get to choose the scents. Then you have got to price them at my retail. She didn't like that. SHE wants to set the retail price. So do any of you set the retail price and put that into a contract? The reason she thinks she can price them for whatever is because she has no competition because she says that is HER territory and she has the private label...and she is actually getting that much for them so why not? Well, they will not sell for that much at shows and on my website, so I can't mark up my retail to match hers. She is making WAY more than I am and I have all the hard work and time. I am just not sure what to do.

What kind & size candle are you selling for $8 that she's charging $10.99 for? How would her customers find out about your website with her private label on the candle?

What kind & size candle are you selling for $8 that she's charging $10.99 for? How would her customers find out about your website with her private label on the candle?

When I private label I disclose on warning labels that my company manufactures the candles. If my private lable customers want to charge more than my retail it's their choice, and if questioned about the difference in prices by someone that looks me up - I would tell them those products were made especially for that retailer and it's their product to price. What I find is that my private label customers sell jars and scents that I don't - so there is very little if any duplication - I don't compete with them, if they want something made for them, they have to buy it from them! LOL