Maybe I'm splitting hairs, but I was thinking about what difference does the melting point matter? None of my paraffin is ever melted at that point. It's never completely melted until the temperature is way up there, so why not wait until the wax is completely melted before adding the solid dye, in my case. My question is: Should I add the solid dye when my thermometer shows the "melting point" or should I wait until the paraffin is completely melted no matter how high the actual temp may be? 

I've been working with IGI 4625, which only shows a Working/Pouring range of 175-185 F. I'm pouring at 177 degrees F. 7% Stearic and 1% Vybar. 6% fragrance load.

You can add it whenever you want. Personally, I used to drop it in the pot when I was using dye chips after the wax had completely melted and was in the 180 range. This way I could watch it and start to get an idea of the color if that makes sense to you. Of course the only real test is to pull some colored wax out and let it solidify. 

Just noting, I always added after the fragrance so that I could 1) not forget the fragrance and 2) make sure it blended in with the wax and not lay on the bottom. 

Edited by Scented
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For solid dyes like chips or blocks I add them in the wax right away while its the hottest to make sure they melt and disperse evenly. Melting point is the term used for the temperature that the wax begins to liquefy.

When making candles you should be thinking more in terms of the manufacturer's recommended heating temp when heating the wax. I always add my fragrance, dyes, and or additives to my wax once I have heated it up to my heating temp.

The melting point of a wax is useful to know for when I ship or market candles in hot weather or when I am working with soy that needs to cool down to slushy before pouring.

Flash point is a term used for when the wax may spontaneously ignite when its exposed to a high heat source like fire. That is useful to know for safe use and storage of your wax.

• Thanks 1

With some dyes, I find that they do not dissolve well if I add them after the wax has melted. I have gotten in the habit of adding dye blocks or chips to my wax right from the get-go so they can both melt together. This solved any issues of having specks of dye left in the bottom of the pouring pitcher. The liquid dye is the only thing I add once the wax is melted.

• Thanks 1

Good information Candybee. I'm going to start throwing it all in from the start. Now about the Flashpoint, I've got to be more watchful about that. I came close the other night to setting my house on fire. Turned on the burner with the wax and pot in there. Went back to get something else. Got distracted by the computer. When I remembered, I ran back out to the garage. The water in the double boiler had all boiled away. The thermometer said 276F. It would have ignited at any moment. That was a real eye opener.

Q

This is exactly why I went exclusively to liquid dyes ...the dye chips always caused problems which I didn't want to deal with!!  I heat my wax to the appropriate pouring temp then add the liquid dye.  Once the dye is added, I then pour a tiny bit into a melt=mold to check the color.....if it is what I want then I proceed,  if NOT, then I add a little more dye (using a toothpick in the dye so I don't get too much) until I get the color I'm looking for.  JMHO.....dye chips are a PITa.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Pam W said:
17 hours ago, Pam W said:

This is exactly why I went exclusively to liquid dyes ...the dye chips always caused problems...

Good and helpful information you give here. I'm starting to realize that I'm trying to make this whole thing too difficult. That's one of my bad habits I guess you would say. It's obvious to me now that this is nothing to get stressed about. My A.D.H.D doesn't help either.:huh:

On 4/20/2018 at 6:08 PM, Quentin said:

Good information Candybee. I'm going to start throwing it all in from the start. Now about the Flashpoint, I've got to be more watchful about that. I came close the other night to setting my house on fire. Turned on the burner with the wax and pot in there. Went back to get something else. Got distracted by the computer. When I remembered, I ran back out to the garage. The water in the double boiler had all boiled away. The thermometer said 276F. It would have ignited at any moment. That was a real eye opener.

Q

Now that sounds scary ,make it a rule to never leave your wax alone .I have learned to never set my thermostat higher than 200 as well. I keep my tablet /computer in my wax office for this very reason.I also like to stream some of my favorite shows while pouring lol. .Keeps me company while making wax melts kwim ...

• Like 1