Hello, I have been experimenting with candles for awhile now, but have not had the best of luck. Trial & error is a part of the growing/learning process. Classes online don’t really help with the different flash points, wax mix ratios, wicks, oil/fragrance mixes etc. I have reached out to several people, but not one reply in over a year :/.  No classes here in the valley, and some 1 hour beginner classes in Los Angeles.  

I currently live in Phoenix, AZ, but would come out to someone who was willing help me learn/achieve my goals. I have the resources to make weekly or monthly trips if warranted. Just finished college with a 4.1 GPA & was going to go to law school, but changed my mind. 

Spent months in the hospital fighting for my life in mid 2016, and then lost my mother to a medical accident in the beginning of 2017. Those life events drastically changed the course I was headed. Life is very precious, and candle making is a desire/dream I wish to fulfill.

I apologize for this long winded synopsis into my life, but wanted to give a sense of where I was coming from. 

FYI- I seem to like ambitious scents like Neroli, Jasmine, Oud, tuberose, orange blossom, powdery fig, certain fragrant woods, geranium, bergamot, and more. Obviously you can see I love my citrus. 

Thank you for your consideration!!

This whole web forum is essentially one big mentor. I know its not physical in the room teaching you things, but the wealth of knowledge learned over the years by our forum host and guests is vast to say the least. I suggest you start reading through EVERYTHING here, choose a wax, a container and then start practicing. As you go ask questions here about how to do this or that and eventually you will get into the swing of things. Chandlery isnt easy, you will not learn it overnight but there are many here who will help you along the way.

Cheers mate and good luck.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I really appreciate the response and agree 100% about this forum being one big mentor! I have received a lot of valuable help on this forum.  This site is definitely a treasure trove of information and I will continue to utilize it. Having said that, I’m a very tactile learner and was just making an attempt to reach out here for some help!

Thank you again for the thoughtful response :) 

Jared, so sorry about your health issue and hope that is behind you now. Really sorry about your mother's passing. 

In regards your experiences with candlemaking, there are a lot of very experienced and talented crafters on this site. I would encourage you to just start with each piece of the puzzle where you're struggling and then let people help from there. It will save your resources, help others as well as put their brains and abilities to use. As backlogged as this site is with information, why don't you start with what you're trying to make, the waxes, results, wicks, etc. and perhaps tackle this one step at a time. 

Candlemaking is this ongoing test factory and the materials keep changing it seems in a variety of things from wax to fragrance etc. 

If you have the patience, I think there will be people who will respond. You may need to post a picture from time to time, which helps a lot. 

• Thanks 1

Thank you for your warm response! Genuinely really appreciate all the feedback/responses!

I believe you and the other poster nailed this on the head. Collect the puzzle pieces and work within the confines (trial & error). I have been lurking on this site for awhile, but I finally signed up. 

Will definitely come back here with my questions and will continue to navigate through all of this information.

Thank you again for the ideas and encouragement!   

There are some members here from the Phoenix area so maybe you'll have some luck finding someone close to home.  Other than that, General Wax in North Hollywood has classes every month.  You might even look at community classes, usually through the community center in your city or surrounding cities.  I learned several crafts that way.

• Thanks 1

Thank you for the great feedback!

It’s funny you say that because I was just thinking of General Wax the other day.  I will be going to LA in April for a week long course at the Perfumer’s Studio and a Neroli/Orange blossom class on structure/accords. Will stop by there & update on my experience.

• Like 1

Jared:  can you give us a little more info on what type of candles you're want to make?  (pillars/containers)  I'm in downtown Phx and make pillars and containers as a hobby.  I do not sell but just make for personal use and gifts for friends and family.  I'm more than willing to give you any help in your quest but will need a little more info on what type of candles you're interested in making.

Welcome Jared! glad to have you with us.

Have you checked the tutorial section? There are a few tutorials on candlemaking. Also, Candle Science has some vid tuts on their website for soy candles.

There are a few suppliers that offer classes but you will have to check some out to see who does. For example I sometimes buy supplies at Candles and Supplies in PA and they offer several candle making classes. Thats how I got some of my hands on knowledge to get me started.

But honestly the bulk of my candlemaking learning I got from this forum.

I think the best way to go about it is first pick the type wax you want to work with. Then select a jar or mold depending on the type of candle you want to make, jar, pillar, melt, etc.

The supplier you buy from may make wick suggestions and also have some manufacturers info about the wax listed on their site. This will give you a starting point.

Some suppliers have starter kits that are an excellent way to get started.

Once you get your wax, wicks, jars/mold, FO supplies then just jump right in and make your first candle. You will learn a lot from that very first candle. Usually, a lot of what not to do but thats good because that is also a great teaching tool. At least then you will have determined more specific questions about your wax or wick and then you come to the forum and start asking.

Best of luck and don't be afraid to jump right in and start!

Jared I think you'll find this forum to be a wealth of knowledge with great people, if you ever have a specific question I'm always happy to answer if you want to shoot me a DM. Also using the search feature of the forum is helpful when looking for different topics.

I can try and help, but need to no what kind of candles u r trying to make, I make the fancy carving candles, cut and carve ones. And haven't been doing it a long time yet but have learned a lot so far, I use paffafin wax and get the 138 melt point or the 140 melt point and I also add microcrystalline just about three table spoons for a 3/4 full pouring pot the tall pot. And than add my wax to that and stir to make my candle molds. If you need any other help let me know, sherry.