Does anyone make candles in quart jars?

I've got a couple cases of quart (32oz) Ball canning jars, regular mouth, left over from my canning days.  Thought about making candles in them, but that'll be a big candle.  Wondering if there's a market for them.  My 9oz containers out sell my 16oz by a mile, so it kinda seems like this will be a no-go, but I'd really like to get rid of these jars.

8 minutes ago, Jcandleattic said:

I used to make candles in the 26oz apothecary jars and I could not give those suckers away. People just don't want something that big. 

That's been my experience anyway... 

Unfortunately, that's what I was thinking.  Guess I'd be better off just giving someone the jars.  

26 minutes ago, bfroberts said:

I've got a couple cases of quart (32oz) Ball canning jars, regular mouth, left over from my canning days.  Thought about making candles in them, but that'll be a big candle.  Wondering if there's a market for them.  My 9oz containers out sell my 16oz by a mile, so it kinda seems like this will be a no-go, but I'd really like to get rid of these jars.

Also, glass breaks down with heat, and canning creates heat. Because of that, there can be micro cracks in the glass not visible with the human eye that would cause the glass to shatter when burning. I personally would NEVER sell something made from a glass container that was not brand new. Just my quarter but I've heard horror stories working for a supplier. :)

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Flicker said:

Also, glass breaks down with heat, and canning creates heat. Because of that, there can be micro cracks in the glass not visible with the human eye that would cause the glass to shatter when burning. I personally would NEVER sell something made from a glass container that was not brand new. Just my quarter but I've heard horror stories working for a supplier. :)

Oh no, I wouldn't sell anything in a used jar.  These are new, still in the box, two dozen.  I just over-bought a couple of summers ago when my neighbor had a bumper crop of tomatoes and we were canning like crazy.  I should have taken them back to the store, but I kept thinking I'd need them one day.  Now I'm tired of kicking them around.

• Like 1

I do! I do make them....But mine are the wide mouth.   Using 464 and with 1 cd20 wick....They burn beautiful beautiful.  Being you have the regular mouth BRoberts I would be inclined to drop down a wick size or so....of course you will have to test, but you know that anyways.    I do them at Christmas and for Halloween.  But they are slow movers....they sell but like everyone said most people go for the smaller candle.  Here is a picture of them. 

Trappeur

CIMG8723.thumb.JPG.a3f7ce67f32ce3588d626a879198aa9c.JPG 5a0359b5f3d26_NewBlueLargeQuartJar-SouthernSweetTea.jpg.ab619f9453021eba481a89e42622171e.jpg

• Like 2

How darling, Trappeur!  
I wondered how the regular mouth would burn.  I might pour one just to see.  I do wish they were wide mouth jars.  
I could sell them as a holiday edition and dress them up with greenery and such.  That might help sell them.  Most of my customers are buying candles as gifts to take home to someone, not so much for themselves anyway.  Hmmm.  Much to consider.  Maybe I should pour one to test and then decide.

I could look at @Trappeurs candles all day! Always so pretty!

@bfroberts, I have those jars too, and I had the same thought... That's a lot of candle!

I would never buy a candle that size for myself, not just because of the price, but also because it would take me years to burn it! Even before I started making my own, I liked to have 4-5 different candles because I get tired of the same scent, plus wax tarts... It takes a while to go through all that wax, lol. But I guess there must be a market for them because I see huuuuge candles on the shelves from the big companies all the time.

Let us know if you do it, I'm curious to hear your experiences!

• Like 1

@bfroberts  I have some large glass containers...and what I do is fill them half way with coloured sand...small stones...shells, whatever you have then put a "spa" cup on top. They are about 2 oz and are like a BIG tea light... and burn for quite a while. Makes a nice presentation and the customer can change them easily. Small..and inexpensive to make.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Gary in Canada said:

@bfroberts  I have some large glass containers...and what I do is fill them half way with coloured sand...small stones...shells, whatever you have then put a "spa" cup on top. They are about 2 oz and are like a BIG tea light... and burn for quite a while. Makes a nice presentation and the customer can change them easily. Small..and inexpensive to make.

What a great idea!  I'm going to have to give that a try!  You have a picture?   Would love to see one made up.

Trappeur...

Thankyou for the kinds comments on the pictures everyone....I love to share....

18 hours ago, Trappeur said:

What a great idea!  I'm going to have to give that a try!  You have a picture?   Would love to see one made up.

Trappeur...

Thankyou for the kinds comments on the pictures everyone....I love to share....

The cup holds about 2 oz..its Polycarbonate..recyclable and unlike a voitve, doesn't need a small container to use..You can use any container you like..decorate it then just add the spa cup. This is a simple one I just use myself.  I just took the pic now...sorry bout the bad quality...lol

Spa Candle.jpg

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Trappeur said:

Very nice!   Is that one of the plastic tea light cups?

Trappeur

It's not your typical tealight...they call it a Spa Cup..it's larger than your usual tealight and burns a lot longer. I filled a lot of them with CB135 (now running out).. various FO @ 6-8% and used a HTP52. Burns great...maybe not the strongest HT because of the size, but its more for ambiance.  The glass chips in the bottom are from Dollar Tree (we have DT up here now!!)..and that's about half a bag.  I have seen what you are capable of Trappeur, so I think you could create a lot of interesting holders.. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Gary in Canada said:

Sounds lovely . Whats a spa cup ? 

1 hour ago, Trappeur said:

Very nice!   Is that one of the plastic tea light cups?

Trappeur

I think any filler could be used. Whole coffee beans for coffee scents. Mini pinecones  - small pebbles etc. I have a oblong shaped wooden bowl that Ive used everything 

from white rice to dry beans .

2 hours ago, Moonstar said:

I think any filler could be used. Whole coffee beans for coffee scents. Mini pinecones  - small pebbles etc. I have a oblong shaped wooden bowl that Ive used everything 

from white rice to dry beans .

The sky is the limit...it's all up to your imagination...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GoldieMN said:

Plastic?  Can't be, can it with a live flame?

GoldieMN

They are made of polycarbonate...same as a regular tealight, only bigger...which means they have a longer burn time.. They are non flammable and in my area can be put in the blue bin for recycling...not the landfill....

• Like 1

I have samples of those from aurolites but never tried them - have thousands of the maxi tealights in same polycarbonate 

very cool....I just may have to make me a centerpiece 

Goldie ...these are safe for burning candles you just need to be more cautious in wicking and make sure they are centered and secure 

the maxi tealights are pretty cool- way bigger than the regular tealights which is the same material The little plastic ones are that suppliers carry 

• Like 1