IGI 6570?

Has anyone heard of or tried this wax?

I stumbled upon it on Aztec's Facebook page. Aztec claims to be the only company that has it. An IGI custom blend?

I'm a little skeptical. The congeal point is 128F, which seems higher than the coconut waxes already out there. Aztec states there is no soy in it and that it is vegetable based. However, as we've found out, not all coconut waxes are petro-free. I wonder if it's harder and has a higher melting point than the other coconut waxes.

Edit: I just realized the Aztec post was made two days ago. Well, then, since no one is likely to have used it, does anyone have any tidbits of information about it they may have heard or read somewhere?

Edited by Kerven

I'm skeptical, too, and noticed that they didn't reply to a comment on their post asking whether or not there was any paraffin in the blend. I just emailed them and will report back if/when they answer...

The price point is comparable to what I'm paying for my 464 wax, so I am intrigued because the coconut wax options I've been looking at are all almost double that...but the fact that it's more inexpensive also leads me to question what it's blended with. Hopefully they'll provide some more info soon!

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, olives said:

I'm skeptical, too, and noticed that they didn't reply to a comment on their post asking whether or not there was any paraffin in the blend. I just emailed them and will report back if/when they answer...

The price point is comparable to what I'm paying for my 464 wax, so I am intrigued because the coconut wax options I've been looking at are all almost double that...but the fact that it's more inexpensive also leads me to question what it's blended with. Hopefully they'll provide some more info soon!

Let us know what they say.

11 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

Hmmm I was leaning toward believing microcrystalline  is added to coconut as it has a high melt point - upward of 175*F.

candles and supplies has a new coconut pellet with a similar melt point.

Very interesting...I'm thinking about ordering a box of the IGI from Aztec and trying it out. Also, I just realized that the cost listed on Aztec's website is actually for 25 pounds (not 50 pounds like I had assumed), which makes it comparable to the other coconut waxes I was looking at...so scratch what I was saying about it being more affordable!

15 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

I hear you... seems coconut is the new trendy wax, prices on coconut products have risen sharply in the last year, my soaping oils rose $25 per 50# a few months ago. 😳

Yikes...that has a big impact on those of us with small businesses! I'm going to have to do some serious number crunching for 2018.

7 minutes ago, olives said:

Yikes...that has a big impact on those of us with small businesses! I'm going to have to do some serious number crunching for 2018.

Meeeeee toooooooo..... 

i don't want to change formulas, and don't want to raise prices,  but also can't let margins erode to the point where it is no longer profitable. 

• Like 3

I'm almost tempted to say that they can reach that melt point with the addition of cetearyl alcohol and a little hydrogenated castor for extra congealing. I haven't read much about the use of stearyl/cetyl alcohols in candles, but it looks promising albeit expensive (stearyl by itself is hard to find!). Going to wait a bit for more information to develop about their wax before trying to get my hands on it. I'm not purchasing 25lbs of wax, that I may not like, just to test it.

Edited by Kerven

Castor wax definitely raises the mp and makes a much harder burn all by itself. at 5% it made a two wick size difference in coconut for me. Looked weird as it burned though, almost like white pet jelly. Cooled and hardened fine though. 

Not it sure about fatty alcohols. I never looked at those to burn. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, TallTayl said:

Hmmm I was leaning toward believing microcrystalline  is added to coconut as it has a high melt point - upward of 175*F.

candles and supplies has a new coconut pellet with a similar melt point.

Just an observation regarding C&S's coconut wax.

I took a peek at C&S's coconut wax. There was no mention of wax blend number or anything to identify it except... I noticed that the item number was "WAX-COCO83-LB". Coconut 83, eh?

That fits the product details, considering coconut 83 appears to have soy in it (the MSDS for it mentions a "SLIGHT Natural Soy Odor") and the melting point is ~119-125F.  If C&S's coconut wax is coconut 83, I suppose we can chalk it up as another coconut spiked with petrolatum or high melt point paraffin.

I'm hoping that's not the case, since they are selling in bead/pellet/pastille form. Coconut 83, judging by what I received from Cal Candle Supplies, is too soft and squishy to be kept as beads. Maybe they're using coconut 83 as a base and blending it for a harder wax with similar melt point?

That's what I was thinking too. Same product that hardened up with a little bit of whatever just like we were thinking of doing. On its own I don't think it's all that. There are still better waxes, but this is a step in the right direction

Short version:

Cal Candle Supply - coco83.
Candlewic - coconut/apricot blend (with paraffin), coconut oil wax blend (no paraffin/petrolatum).
Candles and Supplies - suspected to be coco83 blended with a hardener.
Northwoods - I'm convinced it's coco83 blended with soy and palm.
Swans Candles - mystery coconut blend, coconut/paraffin blend, and coconut/apricot blend (with paraffin).
Aztec - ??IGI 6570?? Not enough information.
CandlemakingSupplies.net - ??Ultra Wax?? Not enough information.

IGI 6570 is "vegetable based" and does not contain soy. That doesn't mean it is void of paraffin, petrolatum, and such. Until more information is released, it's a big ?.

Long version:

Cal Candle Supply:
Coco83 sold as coco83.

Candlewic:
Coconut/apricot (contains a "very small percentage" of paraffin - the Q&A section). The SDS sheet for the coconut/apricot blend also lists "paraffin fume" as a hazardous product of decomposition, which supports it containing paraffin. Their other coconut wax, sold as "coconut oil wax blend" appears to be an actual coconut oil blend. The SDS lists palm wax, coconut oil, and stearic acid as the ingredients and there is no mention of paraffin or the like. It's quite pricey.

Candles and Supplies:
Item #'s of "WAX-COCO83-LB" and "WAX-COCO83-CASE" would seem to indicate that it has something to do with coco83. However, it is sold in "soft beads" form, which coco83 would seem to be too soft and delicate to hold without the beads squishing together (based on my experience with coco83). The new pelleted coconut wax may be the same blend as their slab coconut wax only in a user-friendly form. Both are listed as coconut/soy blends.

Northwoods:
They claim it is "90% coconut wax blended with palm and soy waxes". 126F melt point. Sold in chunk or slab form. Contains palm wax.
Alright, so after finding their coconut wax on Amazon, it states: Blended with 5% Soy & 5% Palm Wax. I guess we solved that 10%. If that's absolutely accurate and not misleading, it's 90% coconut, 5% soy, and 5% palm. The big question is this: is that 90% a coconut oil or a pre-blended coconut wax from a manufacturer (read: coco83)? I'm thinking it's coco83, because if the soy and palm had melt points of 200F it would barely make the total melt point >100F with 90% co92. 90% 126F coco83, 5% 125F soy, and 5% 140F palm would reach a ~126F melt point. Until they state that it doesn't contain coco83 or paraffin/petrolatum, I'm convinced it's coco83 blended with soy and palm.

Swans Candles:
They offer an "all natural coconut container wax", which they suggest adding 15% palm stearic to as a hardener. No melt point is given. They also sell Calwax CCP1, a coconut/paraffin blend container wax, and an apricot/coconut container blend, which they do state as containing paraffin. Their lotion wax blend also contains coconut oil.

Aztec:
The apparently exclusive supplier of IGI 6570. Haven't been able to find anything about 6570. IGI is stingy with their documentation. Although it has no soy, that doesn't rule out the addition of petroleum products, which there has been no mention of in the product description.

CandlemakingSupplies.net:
Ultra Wax soy/coconut blend. 128F melt point. No idea what it could be made from.

Edited by Kerven
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Kerven said:

Short version:

Cal Candle Supply - coco83.
Candlewic - coconut/apricot blend (with paraffin), coconut oil wax blend (no paraffin/petrolatum).
Candles and Supplies - suspected to be coco83 blended with a hardener.
Northwoods - I'm convinced it's coco83 blended with soy and palm.
Swans Candles - mystery coconut blend, coconut/paraffin blend, and coconut/apricot blend (with paraffin).
Aztec - ??IGI 6570?? Not enough information.
CandlemakingSupplies.net - ??Ultra Wax?? Not enough information.

IGI 6570 is "vegetable based" and does not contain soy. That doesn't mean it is void of paraffin, petrolatum, and such. Until more information is released, it's a big ?.

Long version:

Cal Candle Supply:
Coco83 sold as coco83.

Candlewic:
Coconut/apricot (contains a "very small percentage" of paraffin - the Q&A section). The SDS sheet for the coconut/apricot blend also lists "paraffin fume" as a hazardous product of decomposition, which supports it containing paraffin. Their other coconut wax, sold as "coconut oil wax blend" appears to be an actual coconut oil blend. The SDS lists palm wax, coconut oil, and stearic acid as the ingredients and there is no mention of paraffin or the like. It's quite pricey.

Candles and Supplies:
Item #'s of "WAX-COCO83-LB" and "WAX-COCO83-CASE" would seem to indicate that it has something to do with coco83. However, it is sold in "soft beads" form, which coco83 would seem to be too soft and delicate to hold without the beads squishing together (based on my experience with coco83). The new pelleted coconut wax may be the same blend as their slab coconut wax only in a user-friendly form. Both are listed as coconut/soy blends.

Northwoods:
They claim it is "90% coconut wax blended with palm and soy waxes". 126F melt point. Sold in chunk or slab form. Contains palm wax.
Alright, so after finding their coconut wax on Amazon, it states: Blended with 5% Soy & 5% Palm Wax. I guess we solved that 10%. If that's absolutely accurate and not misleading, it's 90% coconut, 5% soy, and 5% palm. The big question is this: is that 90% a coconut oil or a pre-blended coconut wax from a manufacturer (read: coco83)? I'm thinking it's coco83, because if the soy and palm had melt points of 200F it would barely make the total melt point >100F with 90% co92. 90% 126F coco83, 5% 125F soy, and 5% 140F palm would reach a ~126F melt point. Until they state that it doesn't contain coco83 or paraffin/petrolatum, I'm convinced it's coco83 blended with soy and palm.

Swans Candles:
They offer an "all natural coconut container wax", which they suggest adding 15% palm stearic to as a hardener. No melt point is given. They also sell Calwax CCP1, a coconut/paraffin blend container wax, and an apricot/coconut container blend, which they do state as containing paraffin. Their lotion wax blend also contains coconut oil.

Aztec:
The apparently exclusive supplier of IGI 6570. Haven't been able to find anything about 6570. IGI is stingy with their documentation. Although it has no soy, that doesn't rule out the addition of petroleum products, which there has been no mention of in the product description.

CandlemakingSupplies.net:
Ultra Wax soy/coconut blend. 128F melt point. No idea what it could be made from.

I'm so confused...

I have the C & S slab one and the description is coconut blended with soy 

I thought the northwoods was identical to calwax 

ughhh this is giving me a migraine 

which one in your opinion is the best overall performer?

I do not want to try northwoods because I thought I read somewhere in here  it had paraffin in it and the new coco 83 beads at C & S is brand new and I have a case of the old slab to use up first 😂

@moonshine The calwax ccp1 that Swans sells as being identical to Northwood's coconut? Not unless something fishy is going on with their product claims. Northwood's website says 90% coconut and their Amazon page for the same product says an additional 5% soy and 5% palm.

If you mean Northwood's coconut being the same as Cal Candle Supply, then I'd agree for the most part. I suspect Northwood's coconut portion of the blend is coco83, but they've added extra soy and palm. Cal's is sold as "coconut 83" wax, the same name used as the manufacturer.

The C&S slab is coconut and soy. However, like most coconut wax suppliers, C&S has conveniently avoided stating whether or not the product contains paraffin or byproducts of the petroleum industry. If the product was truly paraffin/petroleum-free, I don't see why they wouldn't want to boast about it. The market for all-natural, renewable, green, and what-not products continues to grow. Nevertheless, coconut 83 does appear to contain soy, hinted at by a single line in the wax's MSDS which mentions a soy odor.

The SKU having "coco83" in it could be a total coincidence. Regardless, that is a coconut/soy blend. The whole coco83 issue factors in when considering whether or not it has petroleum products in it.

It seems that most suppliers of coconut wax are using coco83, which appears to contain paraffin, petrolatum, or something similar. Granted, this is all speculation based on bits of information found in various "official" locations. I haven't and almost certainly will not be having samples sent to a lab for testing to confirm any of it.

Based on that list I made, if you want a petro-free coconut wax, Candlewic's coconut oil blend looks to be the most reassuring bet.

34 minutes ago, B Lavender said:

I called Aztec yesterday and was told that the IGI 6570 does contain paraffin but she could not give me the percentage.

I ordered 25lb to test.

Brad

IGI's response to Accu-Blend's coco83 sans the soy, maybe.

I don't understand why suppliers aren't coming out and openly stating that their wares contain paraffin. The dishonesty and lack of disclosure makes me want to start creating my own coconut blends.

Edited by Kerven
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, Kerven said:

@moonshine The calwax ccp1 that Swans sells as being identical to Northwood's coconut? Not unless something fishy is going on with their product claims. Northwood's website says 90% coconut and their Amazon page for the same product says an additional 5% soy and 5% palm.

If you mean Northwood's coconut being the same as Cal Candle Supply, then I'd agree for the most part. I suspect Northwood's coconut portion of the blend is coco83, but they've added extra soy and palm. Cal's is sold as "coconut 83" wax, the same name used as the manufacturer.

The C&S slab is coconut and soy. However, like most coconut wax suppliers, C&S has conveniently avoided stating whether or not the product contains paraffin or byproducts of the petroleum industry. If the product was truly paraffin/petroleum-free, I don't see why they wouldn't want to boast about it. The market for all-natural, renewable, green, and what-not products continues to grow. Nevertheless, coconut 83 does appear to contain soy, hinted at by a single line in the wax's MSDS which mentions a soy odor.

The SKU having "coco83" in it could be a total coincidence. Regardless, that is a coconut/soy blend. The whole coco83 issue factors in when considering whether or not it has petroleum products in it.

It seems that most suppliers of coconut wax are using coco83, which appears to contain paraffin, petrolatum, or something similar. Granted, this is all speculation based on bits of information found in various "official" locations. I haven't and almost certainly will not be having samples sent to a lab for testing to confirm any of it.

Based on that list I made, if you want a petro-free coconut wax, Candlewic's coconut oil blend looks to be the most reassuring bet.

Yes I thought I read northwoods and calwax were one and the same 

swans I know nothing about 

I am testing the C & S slab coco which says it's hardened with soy 

candlewic coconut is the one with apricot correct?

i am going to stick with what I have for now, I don't think it has paraffin in it - I have been a soy maker for years and the last couple of years I have been playing with parasoy and this coco wax does not have any of the characteristics of having it in there ...not to say I'm right but I do not think so 

I do wish these suppliers would be upfront, some people may want a coco paraffin wax and others may not 

@moonshine Candlewic does have the coconut/apricot blend. They also have the coconut oil blend made with palm and stearic. Swans has a coconut/apricot blend as well. As for Candlewic's, they've been sold out for a couple weeks.

Speaking of Candlewic's coconut/apricot, I think it's a nice wax. It's white, translucent enough that the flame's light causes it to have an attractive glow, burns clean (depends heavily on wicking), accepts color quite well, and doesn't have an odd smell (mine smelled faintly of apple peel). The only downside to using it by itself was the wicking. Either it requires a smaller or cooler wick (maybe zinc) or it requires an absurdly large wick. I couldn't figure it out and started blending with 464, which was a huge improvement in burn quality. I haven't done extensive testing for HT, however, but I will say that my testers had a "clearer" scent than the same FO in pure soy.

The coco83 probably has less than 10% paraffin, so it shouldn't be a huge, noticeable difference. Actually, I should say that I hope it's less than 10%. I don't think we'll ever know the exact percentage, unless one of us were to work there and just happen to leak the info...

Edited by Kerven
  • Thanks 1

I just got another email back from Aztec re: my question on their new coconut wax:

"I’m so sorry, but I was just told I misread the information on the wax and it does contain paraffin. Sorry for the incorrect information.

Travis Forrester"

Sounds like they're finally getting the story straight after probably getting lots of inquiries for more info...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

I looked up IGI 6570 and Google sent me to a UK wax supplier. On their website it states that IGI 6570 is coconut mixed with paraffin and it has been made for warmer climates. 

I then called my supplier and asked why samples aren't being offered. She said it's just too messy. They come in a big block. At least she is honest. Remember Peak's 2 pound samples? They offered comfort (4627) in a small tub. Where is Peak when you need them! It's too bad. 

This is what I read about the IGI 6570 coconut wax:

https://www.alfa-chemicals.co.uk/industrial/news/new-blend-of-coconut-and-paraffin-based-waxes-igi-r-6570a-available-from-ig

• Like 1