IGI 6570?

• 6 months later...
On 10/31/2017 at 8:39 PM, B Lavender said:

I called Aztec yesterday and was told that the IGI 6570 does contain paraffin but she could not give me the percentage.

I ordered 25lb to test.

Brad

Hi Brad,

I see it has been almost a year since you made this post. Do you remember how your candles made with IGI 6570 turned out? Did you have good jar adhesion? Nice and strong cold and hot scent throw? Easy to wick? Were the candle tops hard or on the soft or spongy side? Do you like this wax? Would you use it again?

I'm wanting to test this wax but so far the smallest box I can find is 25lb and I would prefer 5lb or 10lb just for testing. I'm concerned about the container candles being to soft, mushy, oily or etc. Some of the other coconut waxes I have tested would need some hardening additives in order to keep them from turning to mush when shipping in the summer months.

Thanks for any information you can provide.

On 2/11/2018 at 9:13 PM, lovelyscents said:

Any updates or testers of the 6570 (Candles and Supplies paracoco) wax?  

Yes, does anyone have any results to talk about for the 6570 IGI coconut wax blend in a container candle? Would be great to hear first hand from someone that has tired it.

Laura C,

I really like the IGI 6570 in 8oz square mason jars using an eco 1. It burns clean and the throw is very good. I mixed 15% glass glow palm wax to stiffen it up some but still don't think it will ship well in the hot summer months. This is one of my favorite waxes but cost a lot more to get it to me in south Texas.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, B Lavender said:

Laura C,

I really like the IGI 6570 in 8oz square mason jars using an eco 1. It burns clean and the throw is very good. I mixed 15% glass glow palm wax to stiffen it up some but still don't think it will ship well in the hot summer months. This is one of my favorite waxes but cost a lot more to get it to me in south Texas.

Hi Brad. Thanks so much for the quick reply, it's very helpful. Looks like you confirmed my suspicion of the candles possibly being on the soft side. I am concerned about that, I don't want to deal with soft candles that will sweat and get mushy during shipping in the summer or melt while setting in a hot Amazon warehouse. You being in TX and me in South FL, we certainly have to deal with some heat. I'm glad you mentioned that about the palm wax to stiffen it up but is it still easy to wick?

Don't know where you purchase the IGI 6570 but there is a supplier in Knoxville, TN, Aztec Candle & Soap Supplies, might be cheaper for you on the shipping. https://www.candlemaking.com/candlemaking/wholesale-wax/container-wax/igi-6570-vegetable-based-coconut-wax.html

I'm thinking about buying some waxes from them this weekend, particularly the IGI 6570.

Edited by Laura C

• 4 months later...
On 10/31/2017 at 4:44 PM, Kerven said:

Short version:

Cal Candle Supply - coco83.
Candlewic - coconut/apricot blend (with paraffin), coconut oil wax blend (no paraffin/petrolatum).
Candles and Supplies - suspected to be coco83 blended with a hardener.
Northwoods - I'm convinced it's coco83 blended with soy and palm.
Swans Candles - mystery coconut blend, coconut/paraffin blend, and coconut/apricot blend (with paraffin).
Aztec - ??IGI 6570?? Not enough information.
CandlemakingSupplies.net - ??Ultra Wax?? Not enough information.

IGI 6570 is "vegetable based" and does not contain soy. That doesn't mean it is void of paraffin, petrolatum, and such. Until more information is released, it's a big ?.

Long version:

Cal Candle Supply:
Coco83 sold as coco83.

Candlewic:
Coconut/apricot (contains a "very small percentage" of paraffin - the Q&A section). The SDS sheet for the coconut/apricot blend also lists "paraffin fume" as a hazardous product of decomposition, which supports it containing paraffin. Their other coconut wax, sold as "coconut oil wax blend" appears to be an actual coconut oil blend. The SDS lists palm wax, coconut oil, and stearic acid as the ingredients and there is no mention of paraffin or the like. It's quite pricey.

Candles and Supplies:
Item #'s of "WAX-COCO83-LB" and "WAX-COCO83-CASE" would seem to indicate that it has something to do with coco83. However, it is sold in "soft beads" form, which coco83 would seem to be too soft and delicate to hold without the beads squishing together (based on my experience with coco83). The new pelleted coconut wax may be the same blend as their slab coconut wax only in a user-friendly form. Both are listed as coconut/soy blends.

Northwoods:
They claim it is "90% coconut wax blended with palm and soy waxes". 126F melt point. Sold in chunk or slab form. Contains palm wax.
Alright, so after finding their coconut wax on Amazon, it states: Blended with 5% Soy & 5% Palm Wax. I guess we solved that 10%. If that's absolutely accurate and not misleading, it's 90% coconut, 5% soy, and 5% palm. The big question is this: is that 90% a coconut oil or a pre-blended coconut wax from a manufacturer (read: coco83)? I'm thinking it's coco83, because if the soy and palm had melt points of 200F it would barely make the total melt point >100F with 90% co92. 90% 126F coco83, 5% 125F soy, and 5% 140F palm would reach a ~126F melt point. Until they state that it doesn't contain coco83 or paraffin/petrolatum, I'm convinced it's coco83 blended with soy and palm.

Swans Candles:
They offer an "all natural coconut container wax", which they suggest adding 15% palm stearic to as a hardener. No melt point is given. They also sell Calwax CCP1, a coconut/paraffin blend container wax, and an apricot/coconut container blend, which they do state as containing paraffin. Their lotion wax blend also contains coconut oil.

Aztec:
The apparently exclusive supplier of IGI 6570. Haven't been able to find anything about 6570. IGI is stingy with their documentation. Although it has no soy, that doesn't rule out the addition of petroleum products, which there has been no mention of in the product description.

CandlemakingSupplies.net:
Ultra Wax soy/coconut blend. 128F melt point. No idea what it could be made from.

T

On 10/31/2017 at 4:44 PM, Kerven said:

Short version:

Cal Candle Supply - coco83.
Candlewic - coconut/apricot blend (with paraffin), coconut oil wax blend (no paraffin/petrolatum).
Candles and Supplies - suspected to be coco83 blended with a hardener.
Northwoods - I'm convinced it's coco83 blended with soy and palm.
Swans Candles - mystery coconut blend, coconut/paraffin blend, and coconut/apricot blend (with paraffin).
Aztec - ??IGI 6570?? Not enough information.
CandlemakingSupplies.net - ??Ultra Wax?? Not enough information.

IGI 6570 is "vegetable based" and does not contain soy. That doesn't mean it is void of paraffin, petrolatum, and such. Until more information is released, it's a big ?.

Long version:

Cal Candle Supply:
Coco83 sold as coco83.

Candlewic:
Coconut/apricot (contains a "very small percentage" of paraffin - the Q&A section). The SDS sheet for the coconut/apricot blend also lists "paraffin fume" as a hazardous product of decomposition, which supports it containing paraffin. Their other coconut wax, sold as "coconut oil wax blend" appears to be an actual coconut oil blend. The SDS lists palm wax, coconut oil, and stearic acid as the ingredients and there is no mention of paraffin or the like. It's quite pricey.

Candles and Supplies:
Item #'s of "WAX-COCO83-LB" and "WAX-COCO83-CASE" would seem to indicate that it has something to do with coco83. However, it is sold in "soft beads" form, which coco83 would seem to be too soft and delicate to hold without the beads squishing together (based on my experience with coco83). The new pelleted coconut wax may be the same blend as their slab coconut wax only in a user-friendly form. Both are listed as coconut/soy blends.

Northwoods:
They claim it is "90% coconut wax blended with palm and soy waxes". 126F melt point. Sold in chunk or slab form. Contains palm wax.
Alright, so after finding their coconut wax on Amazon, it states: Blended with 5% Soy & 5% Palm Wax. I guess we solved that 10%. If that's absolutely accurate and not misleading, it's 90% coconut, 5% soy, and 5% palm. The big question is this: is that 90% a coconut oil or a pre-blended coconut wax from a manufacturer (read: coco83)? I'm thinking it's coco83, because if the soy and palm had melt points of 200F it would barely make the total melt point >100F with 90% co92. 90% 126F coco83, 5% 125F soy, and 5% 140F palm would reach a ~126F melt point. Until they state that it doesn't contain coco83 or paraffin/petrolatum, I'm convinced it's coco83 blended with soy and palm.

Swans Candles:
They offer an "all natural coconut container wax", which they suggest adding 15% palm stearic to as a hardener. No melt point is given. They also sell Calwax CCP1, a coconut/paraffin blend container wax, and an apricot/coconut container blend, which they do state as containing paraffin. Their lotion wax blend also contains coconut oil.

Aztec:
The apparently exclusive supplier of IGI 6570. Haven't been able to find anything about 6570. IGI is stingy with their documentation. Although it has no soy, that doesn't rule out the addition of petroleum products, which there has been no mention of in the product description.

CandlemakingSupplies.net:
Ultra Wax soy/coconut blend. 128F melt point. No idea what it could be made from.

The C&S Easy Beads Coconut wax IS Accu-blends COCONUT 83 available at California Candle Supply... This wax DOES NOT contain paraffin.. I've been using it for years and I called accublend ( I use to buy directly from them) to find out what is in it..and YES, it does come in bead form as many times that is what they sent me... it isn't really beads, just small chunks of wax... It is predominately coconut wax, then apricot, soy and palm waxes. Northwoods  coconut wax is also COCONUT 83

• Like 1