Palm wax questions

On 5/23/2018 at 3:11 PM, Sarah S said:

I'm bringing this one back up, because I'm super duper excited about the Palm wax I got from Candlewic, but like a dummy I totally forgot about the wicks.

I was thinking about ordering either CSNs from Candle Science, or premiers from Flaming. I will have both large and small containers, the 22oz apothecary and 8.5oz tumbler from EAP. Does either wick series perform better in large vs small containers? And any suggestions where I should start with sizes? All I've ever used are HTPs, so this is all new territory for me. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I am currently testing csn wicks in 16oz apothecary jars.  Tomorrow i will start the test burn with  a single csn 16 wick.  Dual wick wise i will be doing a test with csn 7 and csn 9.  I tried csn 12 and 14 and found they left way to much wax in the jar roughly a 1/2+ inch shell around the jar.  I am looking for roughly a 1/4 inch shell or slighly smaller.  I did test the 16 at the same time but the wick was off center by about half an inch so i am redoing that one in this next wick test run.  

Edited by ncraiders
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

Interested in your results. Wide jars are tough.

I will let people know how my csn test goes this time.  I will start the test tomorrow. So it will be a few days before i can get a feel for how the wicks will do.  Hopefully on the dual wick ones i did not space the wicks to far apart.  not tried make a dual wick candle before.

Edited by ncraiders

On May 25, 2018 at 11:20 AM, ncraiders said:

I am currently testing csn wicks in 16oz apothecary jars.  Tomorrow i will start the test burn with  a single csn 16 wick.  Dual wick wise i will be doing a test with csn 7 and csn 9.  I tried csn 12 and 14 and found they left way to much wax in the jar roughly a 1/2+ inch shell around the jar.  I am looking for roughly a 1/4 inch shell or slighly smaller.  I did test the 16 at the same time but the wick was off center by about half an inch so i am redoing that one in this next wick test run.  

So good to know, I was looking at the CSn 12s for the apothecary. Thanks!

Please do keep us posted!

1 minute ago, Sarah S said:

So good to know, I was looking at the CSn 12s for the apothecary. Thanks!

Please do keep us posted!

I will, sadly i am gonna have to re-pour my dual wick candles as i spaced the wicks to far apart and had a complete melt pool of 4" in under 2 hours.

• Sad 1

Sarah-- Candle Science commissioned the Wedo wick company to design wicks specific to Glass glow palm. Wedo came up with the CSN's. They get their name from Candle Science and can only be purchased at Candle Science since they were made for them. CS quit selling the palm, but that's another story. But they continue to sell the CSN wicks which is good. I found them to be superior to RRD's. But I will use RRD's as a back up wick. They burn generally the same and both are made by Wedo. But I found the RRD's smoke a bit and also mushroom a bit compared to the CSN's.

Some people don't like the tall flames produced by the CSN's or RRD's but I learned to embrace the flame the same as wet spots with parrafin or frosting with soy.

My customers never commented to me about the flame but do come back and tell me its their favorite candle!

I do however, ask my customers if they have ever burned a palm wax candle. If they reply no, then I give them a quick education on the merits of palm. My candles burn clean, the wicks are all cotton, the candles glow when they burn (soy and paraffin do not glow). Palm wax leaves a thin outer shell on the glass which catches up during the second burn of the candle so by the end of the candle life the candle is fully consumed. You want the wax shell as this enhances the glow effect during the burn. Its also characteristic of palm wax.

I use only salsa and straight sided jars for palm. I found them to be the best at displaying the true beauty of the wax at its best. My absolute favorite jar is the 16oz salsa jar. This is THE jar that shows off glass glow at its finest. You get that initial "top" shelf of wax on your first couple burns, the wax shell clings to the jar during the full 1st half of the candle life, the wax sides catch up during the last half of the burn, which in turn produce the glow effect perfectly, the glass is clean as a whistle as it burns down, you absolutely get the whole enchilada with this jar. BTW, I use a CSN 12 for that size jar.

Edited by Candybee
  • Thanks 1

@Candybee, thank you so much, that is just the info I needed!

I am super nervous about flipping my jars, I'm having visions of hot wax everywhere! I should wait until there is a pretty thick solid layer on top right? Like at least a couple inches? Do you still do this?

I just brought my wax home today, now I just need to order the wicks! I'm so excited, lol!

What i do is i put a cookie sheet under a cooling rack and slowly turn the candle over when i have a decent layer of cooled wax but can still see the liquid wax under it.  I turn it over slowly so if it starts to leak due to a weak spot i don't loose a ton of way to the cookie sheet.  i still get tiny air pockets at times but they are kinda like long pinhole sized pockets.  basically you should be able to push on the top layer of wax is a bit of pressure and it not put a decent dent in the layer.

Edited by ncraiders
  • Thanks 1

Sarah the jar flip just takes a bit of practice to get it right. ncraiders gave a good example of how its done. Remember that different size jars have different timing on the flip, smaller jars can be flipped in less time than larger jars.

What I look for is a top crust to form. I carefully pick up the jar and angle it slightly from side to side to see how deep the crust is. If you have a nice crust on top but can still see the wax sloshing underneath its time to flip. Do a slow trial flip with the first jar. If no wax drips out then its time to flip the rest of your jars. Always start with the jar you poured first as it has been sitting longer than the other jars. I hope that helps.

With a little bit of practice you'll be an expert. I don't even time my jars anymore. I have learned what to look for in the sloshiness/crust appearance.

Edited by Candybee
  • Thanks 1

The CSN wicks are only “branded” by candle science as such. WEDO markets them as VRL. Precision has kind of high mins, but if you need that wick, they are available outside of Candlescience. 

If you google VRL wicks, or WEDO VRL wicks, or VRL candle wicks, you will find many sources other than Candlescience 🤗.  UK candle makers, you’re in luck as they are readily available overseas.

Makes no sense for just one seller, especially given how that one seller dumped palm over night. The CSN is the same core as cd, CSN, etc, but a different chemical soak to withstand the high acidic natural waxes.

4FA6E3D8-3EA9-4960-8A65-8CCD02DEE8AC.png

• Thanks 2

My complaint with the CSN wicks on candle science is that it jumps from a size 16 to a size 22.  I preffer to use a single wick  when possible but with the csn ones i might have to go to a dual wick in my apothecary jars to get the thin shell i want on the side of the jar..

1 hour ago, TallTayl said:

The CSN wicks are only “branded” by candle science as such. WEDO markets them as VRL. Precision has kind of high mins, but if you need that wick, they are available outside of Candlescience. 

If you google VRL wicks, or WEDO VRL wicks, or VRL candle wicks, you will find many sources other than Candlescience 🤗.  UK candle makers, you’re in luck as they are readily available overseas.

Makes no sense for just one seller, especially given how that one seller dumped palm over night. The CSN is the same core as cd, CSN, etc, but a different chemical soak to withstand the high acidic natural waxes.

CS not only dropped palm - they do not even list it in their wick guide for those who do wish to use it and are searching for advice with the CSN wicks - in searching for the VRL wicks I could only find retail outets who sell them in Europe unless I just overlooked them -  maybe CS still holds the exclusive rights to them in the US? Another thing I found interesting, VRL has a VRL11 whereas CSN goes from 9 to 12 without an 11

5 minutes ago, scrubzz said:

CS not only dropped palm - they do not even list it in their wick guide for those who do wish to use it and are searching for advice with the CSN wicks - in searching for the VRL wicks I could only find retail outets who sell them in Europe unless I just overlooked them -  maybe CS still holds the exclusive rights to them in the US? Another thing I found interesting, VRL has a VRL11 whereas CSN goes from 9 to 12 without an 11

Candle science does have it on a wick guide.  you have to click were it says view all wick suggestions and scroll to the bottom and the palm wick suggestions are right above the v3 wick suggestion.  VRL has sizes well below the size 7, it has a size 18, and a few in between sizes that csn doesn't have.  It would be nice  if all those options were readily available over here instead of mainly in the uk.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ncraiders said:

Candle science does have it on a wick guide.  you have to click were it says view all wick suggestions and scroll to the bottom and the palm wick suggestions are right above the v3 wick suggestion.  VRL has sizes well below the size 7, it has a size 18, and a few in between sizes that csn doesn't have.  It would be nice  if all those options were readily available over here instead of mainly in the uk.

Gotcha - I missed seeing the view all wick selections underneath there - thanks - I wonder why they don't carry all the wicks available 

2 hours ago, TallTayl said:

Good to know! I did not know this but it makes sense that Wedo would market it to others besides CS. But who else carries them and do they have sizes CS doesn't carry?

1 hour ago, Candybee said:

Good to know! I did not know this but it makes sense that Wedo would market it to others besides CS. But who else carries them and do they have sizes CS doesn't carry?

I was looking for them earlier Candybee.  They do have some between sizes like 6, 11, 18 but the only place I can find them for sale is in the UK nothing in the US that i can find.

Edited by ncraiders

Check directly with Precision Wicking. They sometimes offer small sets, especially for testing, for a decent and fair price. I spoke with some really nice lady in customer service when Looking for specific sizes of wick for coconut wax. Super helpful! 

With enough interest, a fast buy here on the forum would set people up with in between sizes for a good long time. 

The only extra size they carry is the size 11 wick sadly they don't carry the size 6 or 18 wicks.  18 was the size i might of been interested in depending on the test burn i have going of my size 16 wick, wow they require double the amount for a min order on the csn wicks.  I didn't realize it till just now there main office is based about 3.5 hours from were i live.

I wish candle science actually gave a better wick size guide.  like they carry the size 22 and 26 csn wicks but no info on what potential container size that would work for.

Edited by ncraiders

46 minutes ago, Candybee said:

Gawd the CSN26 must burn like a tiki torch! :laugh2:

Part of me wants to test burn the 22 wick but i almost guarantee it will be way to big for my jar size.  I may do it for the fun of it when i go to redo my dual wick test candles that i spaced the wicks to far apart on.  but no way in heck am i gonna even wanna test a 26.  I bet the 26 is for around a 5.5" jar.

41 minutes ago, moonshine said:

Trying to find my cauldron to get started 

with all the fails I have here and all the different smells any bug will be dead coming close to the vacinity 😂

Do they make wicks big enough for a cauldron?  I would imagine it would take alot of wicks for one of those.  Or one that is several inches wide.  LOL homemade giant wick anyone? :laugh2:

• Haha 1