Palm wax questions

58 minutes ago, ncraiders said:

Do they make wicks big enough for a cauldron?  I would imagine it would take alot of wicks for one of those.  Or one that is several inches wide.  LOL homemade giant wick anyone? :laugh2:

I’m thinking The #8 square braid by the roll so I can cut to the length I need- I’m thinking about 10-15 of them .....it will be interesting 😂🤣🤪

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, moonshine said:

I’m thinking The #8 square braid by the roll so I can cut to the length I need- I’m thinking about 10-15 of them .....it will be interesting 😂🤣🤪

lol i wanna see pics or better vet a video of this giant monstrosity of so called insect death burning. 😀

I found one company overseas that sells the csn 11 and 18 wicks in 10m lengths and will actually show a price for shipping to the US.  The pricing didn't seem all that bad since it is coming from overseas total came to about 18.65.  $4.08 for the wicks $14.57 for shipping based off the info there site gave me and that would make roughly 65 wicks 6" wicks.  I am 6 burns in on my size 16 test.  Each burn is 4 hours.  I have a roughly 2 inch deep cavity in my candle with around a 1/4 of inch shell.  Still not sure if it will actually melt all the wax or not but i am leaning towards the wick not being quite big enough.  If my last wick test with this size was close to the correct burn length i still have another 3-4 test burns to go.  really hoping this works out for a single wick, if not onto redoing the dual wick tests and i might throw a size 22 wick in for good measure.  Still don't think i wanna the size 26 tiki torch wick.   I am holding off on redoing them till i see what the size 16 does in the final burn. Sadly all i have image wise after the last burn is an unlit one.  but at the top of the candle the melted wax is tight at the edge of the neck of the jar which is roughly a 3" diameter. 

Edited by ncraiders

Figured i would post this here as well just in case someone looks at this post and not my post. 

The wick test for the size 16 CSN was a failure for cleaning the jar.  It did use a good amount of wax and has probably a 1/8 or less shell left after the final burn.  So for a single wick you would need a 18 to cleanup all the wax from the jar.  i found the melt pool depth to be around 1/4 inch or so the entire burn.  In 2 more days i will begin the dual wick testing with CSN 7 and 9.  The 16 will work if you don't want all the wax to be cleaned up off the sides of the jar.

A CSN 18 probably would of been perfect but for whatever reason we do not have the CSN-18 for sale in the U.S.  They only place i can find the size 18 was a site that ships from somewhere around China.  So onto dual wicks.

Posting it in here as well as my original post.

Started test burning with dual CSN 7 & 9 wicks both had full melt pools in 2.5 hours or less.  I found that no matter the size of wick i can't wick the  4" apothecary jar to do what i want with CSN wicks the best one that allows the wax to glow like it is meant to is the CSN-16.  I will pour more test candles with CD wicks this weekend

6 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

I’d go really small on doubles. Two csn7 are more like one csn 21+

Also play with spacing. Directing the heat can make a huge difference. 

If csn dont cut it the rrd has a lot of sizes too. 

I have tried 2 different ways of spacing of the wicks.  First attempt was around 1.5 inches apart the second was around 1 inch apart  there is no smaller wick than a CSN-7 that is long enough.  They have a CSN-5 but it is only 1" long so that wont work.  I have been talking to someone that uses the CD wick series for glass glow so i ordered a sample pack of that series to try.  if that doesn't work for me i will attempt rrd at that point.

Edited by ncraiders
  • Like 1