Candlewic, here I come!

Sarah S

I'm driving up to PA at the end of the month, and I will be stopping by Candlewic to pick up case of wax and some coconut oil. I see that they are doing a free lb of FO right now, so...... 😁

I've only tried one of their FOs so far, the Frozen Pine. I like it, it's pretty straightforward, just a pine.

What's good? I know @GailC said she uses a lot of Candlewic's fragrances, and maybe @Moonstar?

Thanks to you ladies and fellas, I have the amazing Lemon Biscottit from Filmore, which is one I wouldn't normally buy, so I'm open to suggestions!

Also, I was wondering about Candlewic's standard FOs, I was thinking about get 8oz of spice and/or peppermint to try as blenders. They are very inexpensive, and I see the recommended usage rate is 4%, are they any good?

TIA!!

Pumpkin Chai - I took 5 candles to my wholesale buyer Sunday afternoon; she texted me yesterday, said they all sold already.  I am getting an order together because I need more.

Some others I like:

Apple Cider Donut

Pomegranate Cider

Cranapple Spice

Cranberry Chutney

Cinnamon - not the best cinnamon I've had but a good price and good for blends.

Sugared Vanilla Shortbread - gets a lot of good reviews here so I got some and it is good

Not so much:

Cinnabon - didn't think it smelled like a cinnabon.  I added a little cake; the scent is so sharp or something. But it is nice and strong

Spice - very strange; don't think I'll ever use this one

Strawberries & Cream - good but not strong enough for me. Will add more FO next time

Hot Buttered Rum - not one of my favorites. Just OK to me

Sage & Citrus - Not a scent I care for personally

Some I love for spring/summer

Berry Tangerine - favorite!!

Summer Fresh

Lemongrass Sage

Some I like OOB; haven't put in wax yet.  I use GW 444

White Mulberry Cedar - My grandson wants this one for Christmas.  Very nice

Black Tea Orange and Almond - I really like this one

Bombshell

Be Delicious

Pineapple Mango

Bay Laurel - I like the sample so am ordering a bottle

Mulberry Spice - Also  liked the sample so I may order this one.

I like the free samples with each 16 oz bottle ordered.  Makes me order more next time!

• Like 2

When you go pick up your order, there are some shelves with samples of FOs that you can smell. I bought a bunch of 1 oz samples after checking them out. I liked Mulberry Spice and Snowflake for the Fall/Winter. Tried Pumpkin Pancake too and people seem to like it.  Good luck! BTW-it was a little hard to find the front door (no big sign).  The door is to the left of the loading dock.

3 hours ago, GailC said:

Pumpkin Chai - I took 5 candles to my wholesale buyer Sunday afternoon; she texted me yesterday, said they all sold already.  I am getting an order together because I need more.

Some others I like:

Apple Cider Donut

Pomegranate Cider

Cranapple Spice

Cranberry Chutney

Cinnamon - not the best cinnamon I've had but a good price and good for blends.

Sugared Vanilla Shortbread - gets a lot of good reviews here so I got some and it is good

Not so much:

Cinnabon - didn't think it smelled like a cinnabon.  I added a little cake; the scent is so sharp or something. But it is nice and strong

Spice - very strange; don't think I'll ever use this one

Strawberries & Cream - good but not strong enough for me. Will add more FO next time

Hot Buttered Rum - not one of my favorites. Just OK to me

Sage & Citrus - Not a scent I care for personally

Some I love for spring/summer

Berry Tangerine - favorite!!

Summer Fresh

Lemongrass Sage

Some I like OOB; haven't put in wax yet.  I use GW 444

White Mulberry Cedar - My grandson wants this one for Christmas.  Very nice

Black Tea Orange and Almond - I really like this one

Bombshell

Be Delicious

Pineapple Mango

Bay Laurel - I like the sample so am ordering a bottle

Mulberry Spice - Also  liked the sample so I may order this one.

I like the free samples with each 16 oz bottle ordered.  Makes me order more next time!

Ok, I'm glad you mentioned NOT liking the Spice, because that was one I was looking at specifically. Maybe I'll go with the cinnamon instead.

The pumpkin Chai sounds good! I'm not usually into food-type fragrances, but I do love beverage fragrances. And Chai is one of my favorites!

Summer Fresh sounds intriguing.

I think of the samples as a win-win situation. We get a little free fragrance, they get repeat orders when we cave. 😆

Thanks Gail, that's given me some to think about!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LRed said:

When you go pick up your order, there are some shelves with samples of FOs that you can smell. I bought a bunch of 1 oz samples after checking them out. I liked Mulberry Spice and Snowflake for the Fall/Winter. Tried Pumpkin Pancake too and people seem to like it.  Good luck! BTW-it was a little hard to find the front door (no big sign).  The door is to the left of the loading dock.

Thanks you! I've been there once before to pick up an order, it was pouring rain, my aunt was with me, and we were pressed for time so it was a bit of an adventure!

I'll have my kids with me this time, they do NOT like it when I start sniffing samples, lol. They hate it even more when I start asking them to snif!

I looked at the Snowflake, does it smell like cold air? I feel like a lot of the snow fragrances are just dressed up mint. I think Mad Oil's Snow Witch is the best snow fragrance ever, and I haven't been able to find anything else like it.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, LRed said:

Thanks for adding these, I only have vanilla sugared shortbread .

mulberry spice - is this a fruity spice with cinnamon ? Also how would you best describe snowflake ? Thank you in Advance 

1 minute ago, Moonstar said:

Thanks for adding these, I only have vanilla sugared shortbread .

mulberry spice - is this a fruity spice with cinnamon ? Also how would you best describe snowflake ? Thank you in Advance 

Yes, Mulberry Spice is fruity with cinnamon.

I thought maybe I could blend my own, since I have Mulberry and Cinnamon FO.  But I did the qtip thing and my blend wasn't nearly as nice as the Mulberry Spice sample I have.  So it is more complex than just Mulberry and Cinnamon. 

• Like 1

Oh I forgot to mention Pumpkin Pancake...I have a sample of that too, and am going to order a large bottle since I'm about out of PPW.

Pumpkin Pancake smells similar, very strong OOB.  I may even like it better than the PPW I have from Tennessee.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Sarah S said:

Ok, I'm glad you mentioned NOT liking the Spice, because that was one I was looking at specifically. Maybe I'll go with the cinnamon instead.

The pumpkin Chai sounds good! I'm not usually into food-type fragrances, but I do love beverage fragrances. And Chai is one of my favorites!

Summer Fresh sounds intriguing.

I think of the samples as a win-win situation. We get a little free fragrance, they get repeat orders when we cave. 😆

Thanks Gail, that's given me some to think about!

Belinda thought Spice was weird smelling too.  :)  I don't know what it smells like to describe it. The Cinnamon is much better in my opinion

Summer Fresh is just that, refreshing!  I really like it.  It has a citrusy scent to me.

I don't know what Chai really smells like.  Pumpkin Chai smells like other Pumpkin FO's to me but my DIL said she could smell the chai.

Edited by GailC
  • Like 2

I wish I could describe Snowflake, Moonstar! I'm terrible describing scents. It's has a bit of a tree scent but I can't say spruce or fir. A little minty. Maybe a bit of lavender? That's all I got! ;) GailC is right about mulberry spice. It's a little more complex than just cinnamon and mulberry. A little sweet but the cinnamon clears your nose a bit so it's not overpowering.

I bought a bunch of 1 oz scents recently from Candlewic to try out. I tend to like lighter fragrances but I've come to realize that my sense of smell may not be shared by all.  I generally don't like food scents but the pumpkin pancake wasn't overpowering. I'm planning on ordering the Pumpkin Chai and a few of the coffee scents.

BTW-I just bought Toasted Pumpkin from CS and I have to say, I do not like it. It gives me a headache. Very strong and cloying.

Mahogany Spice might be one you don't judge by sniffing. It blooms in wax and is pretty nice ... different and more all-seasons perhaps. Fall and winter will work well.

Peppermint and Cypress comes out almost straight mint, but there's a bit of freshness with it that doesn't just scream peppermint. 

Sorry I cannot remember what Holiday Sparkle or maybe it was Holiday Frost was like. I have a few others we've not used. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, GailC said:

Belinda thought Spice was weird smelling too.  :)  I don't know what it smells like to describe it. The Cinnamon is much better in my opinion

Summer Fresh is just that, refreshing!  I really like it.  It has a citrusy scent to me.

I don't know what Chai really smells like.  Pumpkin Chai smells like other Pumpkin FO's to me but my DIL said she could smell the chai.

You're right Gail, it does have a weird/different smell to my nose. Not spicy. I just don't know how to describe it. I think if it was called something else it would smell better to me. I know that sounds strange but when something is named Spice then I expect it to smell like cinnamon and cloves and nutmeg LOL! @Sarah S, I also think pumpkin pancake smells like PPW. If you like that scent then you'll like pumpkin pancake. I like their salted caramel, autumn leaves, bay laurel, berry tangerine, berry vanilla, black tea, orange and almond (same as tea and cakes from FB) blackberry brûlée, butterscotch pudding (VERY strong!), caramel apple cider, fresh vanilla, hazel nut truffles, oatmeal milk and honey, peach and sweet berries, sugared vanilla shortbread and a few more. I'll have to go look and sniff!

• Like 1

Harvest and Poinsettias& Pine are awesome.P&P has a mulberry type aroma and can barely smell the pine note in this one.I renamed this one The Christmas Shoppe.Cw has some wonderful oils.To name you some I have had great luck with and very strong throw is Harvest,Poin& Pine,Storm Watch,Maple Butter,Gingerbread Spice cake,Pumpkin Chai,Cranberry Spice,Lavender &Lemons,Frasier fir,Voo Doo Love.I do not care for Spice at all .Oh their Spruce Garland is a nice one too.I recommend the Ultimate Bold scents,most are awesome .

Thank you for all the great replies!

Spice is definitely off the list, lol.

The pumpkin Chai sounds awesome, I will give that a try, and I've had my eye on Voodoo Love for a while. Maybe I'll get Harvest or Autumn Leaves... It's so tough to choose! Maybe if I bribe them, my kids will let me get few sniffs in while I'm there! 😆

Have a wonderful trip and definitely try VooDoo love along with any I mentioned above .I have had great results with these .I only make wax melts and paraffin is my wax.One of my favorite waxes is CW 129 .I just received sampler 5 lb bags  of the 220 &230 soy from CW. I am wanting to experiment with some soy for wax melts .Do some para soy blends and see what I come up with .Enjoy your CW trip ,sounds exciting. I live in South,Tx and buy many of my products from CW. I do have a long list of fragrance oils suppliers and need to narrow these down .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sarah S said:

Thank you for all the great replies!

Spice is definitely off the list, lol.

The pumpkin Chai sounds awesome, I will give that a try, and I've had my eye on Voodoo Love for a while. Maybe I'll get Harvest or Autumn Leaves... It's so tough to choose! Maybe if I bribe them, my kids will let me get few sniffs in while I'm there! 😆

My grandchildren and great niece and great granddaughter always liked to sniff too.  You have to have time to sniff!  That's the fun part.  :)

But maybe you're talking about teenagers.  :) 

Let us know what smelled good to you!

• Like 1

@GailC yes, two teenagers! And my little guy who is 11 and only interested in the FOs that smell like candy!! 😆

I will be sure to report back with anything interesting!

@katmeltswax I have had great results with CBL 129 and soy 125 in melts. I only use a small % of soy though. Fantastic throw and appearance! Have fun experimenting!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, my visit to Candlewic didn't go quite as planned, traffic was horrible and by the time we arrived they were just about to close so no sniffing for me. 😭

It was so hard to choose what to order from all the great suggestions!

@katmeltswax I got the Voodoo Love, and it was exactly what I was looking for! I already made incense with it! I need to go look up the ifra for it, I would love to soap it and do a body butter.

@LRed the snowflake is so strong! OOB it's knocking me over, and it does smell a lot like a snowfall. I'm glad I got the lb of it, I'm going to mix it with the boring frosted pine to make a snowy woods. 😄

@Scented, the mohogany spice sounded like just my thing so I got that too. It is very intriguing OOB. I love unusual scents, thank you for that recommendation. It isn't soap safe is it?

@GailC and @Belinda I did NOT get the spice, lol! I did get 8 oz of the cinnamon, and I agree it's not the best I've smelled but I think it will be just fine in blends. I'm super bummed I didn't get to sniff the samples, because the pumpkin chai was on my list to smell. The only reason I didn't go ahead and order it was because I just got a lb of chai from Flaming. :(

For my free samples I got Lavender Silk, Moonlit Path and Rattlesnake Grass. The Lavender Silk is very nice OOB, I got it for my middle daughter since she is my lavender lover, and she is thrilled. She also loves the Moonlit Path, and surprisingly I do too! It is a lovely soft floral with musk base and just a hint of powder. We are going to make tarts with it for sure, and if it's skin safe a shampoo for her too.

The Rattlesnake Grass is very green and clean. I know there is citrus in it, but I don't pick it up as individual notes, it just add to the energy of the mix. It also reminds me a bit of Sweetgrass, it definitely doesn't have the same sharpness as a fresh cut grass fragrance.

Thank you everyone for all the great recommendations!

And would you believe I totally forgot to order the coconut oil?? 😂

Maybe I will get to try the pumpkin chai after all....

😆😆

• Like 2

Oh, it's too bad you didn't get a chance to hang out and sniff. It seems like you were able to get a few scents that you liked though. :) I bought a sample of the Moonlit Path too but haven't poured it yet. Let us know if the Snowflake and pine combo works out. Good luck!

18 hours ago, Sarah S said:

Well, my visit to Candlewic didn't go quite as planned, traffic was horrible and by the time we arrived they were just about to close so no sniffing for me. 😭

It was so hard to choose what to order from all the great suggestions!

@katmeltswax I got the Voodoo Love, and it was exactly what I was looking for! I already made incense with it! I need to go look up the ifra for it, I would love to soap it and do a body butter.

@LRed the snowflake is so strong! OOB it's knocking me over, and it does smell a lot like a snowfall. I'm glad I got the lb of it, I'm going to mix it with the boring frosted pine to make a snowy woods. 😄

@Scented, the mohogany spice sounded like just my thing so I got that too. It is very intriguing OOB. I love unusual scents, thank you for that recommendation. It isn't soap safe is it?

@GailC and @Belinda I did NOT get the spice, lol! I did get 8 oz of the cinnamon, and I agree it's not the best I've smelled but I think it will be just fine in blends. I'm super bummed I didn't get to sniff the samples, because the pumpkin chai was on my list to smell. The only reason I didn't go ahead and order it was because I just got a lb of chai from Flaming. :(

For my free samples I got Lavender Silk, Moonlit Path and Rattlesnake Grass. The Lavender Silk is very nice OOB, I got it for my middle daughter since she is my lavender lover, and she is thrilled. She also loves the Moonlit Path, and surprisingly I do too! It is a lovely soft floral with musk base and just a hint of powder. We are going to make tarts with it for sure, and if it's skin safe a shampoo for her too.

The Rattlesnake Grass is very green and clean. I know there is citrus in it, but I don't pick it up as individual notes, it just add to the energy of the mix. It also reminds me a bit of Sweetgrass, it definitely doesn't have the same sharpness as a fresh cut grass fragrance.

Thank you everyone for all the great recommendations!

And would you believe I totally forgot to order the coconut oil?? 😂

Maybe I will get to try the pumpkin chai after all....

😆😆

Sarah s, I have a bottle of Cw Pumkin Chai .I would be more than happy to send you some to sample .Let me know 😀

1 hour ago, Faerywren said:

Mahogany Spice is a great fragrance! It's the primary component of my Sherlock Holmes inspired blend, "Baker Street". It's lovely on it's own, but I tinkered with it a bit. I can't leave anything alone. :)

I got a sample of Mahogany Spice in my last order, and I am contemplating ordering a large bottle next time.  It is not my usual type of scent, but I do like it.

• Like 3