Pillar mold preferences

I'd like to make some small pillar candles this winter.  I'm looking at some molds and I think I'd like to try a low profile type, for instance, about 3" diameter x 2.5" in height. 

One style has a flat bottom (top of candle) and one has a concave bottom -- I'm wondering which style most people may prefer, as I'll probably be making these as gifts. 

Any thoughts?

The bottoms you refer to actually become the top of the candle. There's not a lot of difference between the two. It's more what you may prefer. What I like about the concave is I use it as a guide for test burning when I do burn. I also prefer the aluminum molds, which are far more forgiving than metal. 

Edited by Scented
  • Like 2

I prefer the look of concave in seamless aluminum molds. 

Te te low profile may present challenges with burn. Pillars tend to like to burn down then out. Too short and it can't make the burn right.

you can always buy taller molds and fill at different heights to find a sweet spot. 

• Like 1

wanted to clarify a little why i like the concave.

first: form. The tops look really pretty to me.

next: function. the concave top lets the mold stay perfectly flat on the table when filling. The concave part recesses the wick (i pour with a wick secured to the mold, not pins). The flat tops wiggle around with the bulk of the wick and tape. this makes leveling a bit easier.

• Like 1

Thanks all for posting your thoughts!  I am going to see about getting a concave mold.  I also will not be using a pin, as I prefer to wick the mold, and, without having a stand of some sort to support it in, I can see how the concave can avoid any "wiggling" as noted!   I think the one I saw was 3" across, so that's not so very wide.  I only went looking for an additive, but now I'm trying to form a little order around it -- you all know how that goes, I'm sure!!  :)

I'll chime in now - I like the seamless aluminum molds they are easier to unmold, and give a better finish, and I can pour a bit hotter without worry of the seams leaking. For me flat or concave when pouring doesn't really matter, because I have a wooden pedestal with a hole cut out so I can set the mold on that to allow for the wicking and not have my mold be lopsided, or wobble. 

However, for burning and aesthetics, I much prefer the concave mold. They look nicer, and burn better, which it makes hugging the outside of the wax when the flame is extinguished much easier as well. 

A pedestal or wire rack is great when pouring one. It becomes more challenging when pouring multiples for production. I don't want to have to pour one, then move it, or carry to a wire rack while molten. The rounds with concave tops just sit tidily on the pouring bench self-leveling as I pour to the tippy top. 

The flat square molds I have are ways twice as much work as the concave rounds. I was not able to find concave squares when I needed them, so I am stuck with 50 flat tops that create a challenge every time I make square pillars.