Eye protection... yes, when chandling

My tired, dumb move of Friday has been haunting me. While heat gunning the last pour pot of the night I made the mistake of looking down into it to see if it was clean enough to shelve.

You guessed it, I got a face full of hot, steamy fragrance and wax fumes. Burned my corneas enough that I could feel the inflammation the next day. Had reduced vision for a few days as they healed. 

Many of us wear other protective gear like gloves and respirators, but I never thought to wear eye protection too, except when making soap. Lesson learned. 

• Like 1

OMGosh, so many things I never think about.  Hopefully, there won't be any long-lasting damage.  Do you have any lavender essential oil--100% pure, no additives?  If so, I would put a drop on my eyelids a few times a day.  Has to be 100% pure.

Take care,

Goldie

Wow, sure hope your vision is ok.  I don't wear eye protection and wondered if my blurred vision one day was caused by fumes.  I do the gloves and respirator (well, most times) but now I'm adding the goggles.  I'm sure we all look like mad scientists with all our gear on.

I usually wear eye protection when working with wax. It's become second nature with me soaping, but also I had wax splash up on my eyelid before, and although, it didn't burn or cause harm to my eye, it could have, and getting hardened wax off the sensitive skin of they eyelid was a bit tricky. Ever since that happened, many many years ago, it was an easy transition to just wear my eye gear whenever I'm in the lab. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Moonstar said:

Wow, I hope your visions back to normal. :)

Just about. yes. The eye pressure changes were nauseating for a couple of days though. 

About a a year ago my dear, sweet, demanding Paisley dog scratched my left cornea nearly through from one end to the other. Took a good 4-5 days to fully heal. Saw the eye doc and all on that one. Close call. 

• Like 1

TT I can relate to the nauseating feeling you got from your vision. About 3 weeks ago I had a cataract in my right eye removed. whoa, talk about getting

woozy . The eye doctor said once my left cataract is also removed things will slowly start adjusting. He said right now my brains getting mixed

signals from both eyes. I get the left one removed in about a week.Plus my eyes are super sensitive to the sunlight . Your right, it is scary though.

Wow! That sounds so scary about the eyes! I hope they get better soon.

I have a story too. Its not about getting wax or fumes in my eyes thou. Once when I was pouring cinnamon candles I got some cinnamon oil on my hands. Without thinking I went to scratch my eye and wowzer what a horrible burning I got. Like putting hot pepper juice in my eyes! It was like fire! If I had been wearing my goggles I probably would not have rubbed my eyes.

But you know I could have still rubbed them after I finished making candles with the cinnamon oil still on my fingers. So be sure to wash up too after you make candles because you may not remember you touched a FO that could be abrasive to your eyes!

4 hours ago, TallTayl said:

Just about. yes. The eye pressure changes were nauseating for a couple of days though. 

Glad to hear you are feeling better TT and thanks for sharing.  I can just imagine how scary that was.  

I can't even deal with the dilation of my pupils at the beginning of the exam - it throws me right off kilter! 

2 hours ago, Moonstar said:

TT I can relate to the nauseating feeling you got from your vision. About 3 weeks ago I had a cataract in my right eye removed. whoa, talk about getting

woozy . The eye doctor said once my left cataract is also removed things will slowly start adjusting. He said right now my brains getting mixed

signals from both eyes. I get the left one removed in about a week.Plus my eyes are super sensitive to the sunlight . Your right, it is scary though.

Moonstar -  It's great that you will be able to see again!  

I brought my mother for cataract surgery last week and the other eye will be done next week.  She's 82 and already sees the TV screen clearly with that one eye.   When we went for the consult I asked the Dr. if I could be a candidate for cataracts in my late 50's. It's so frustrating not to be able to read labels and such without glasses especially since I used to have 20-20 vision!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Terry said:

Moonstar -  It's great that you will be able to see again!  

I brought my mother for cataract surgery last week and the other eye will be done next week.  She's 82 and already sees the TV screen clearly with that one eye.   When we went for the consult I asked the Dr. if I could be a candidate for cataracts in my late 50's. It's so frustrating not to be able to read labels and such without glasses especially since I used to have 20-20 vision!

Im 55 and the dr said I was too young to have cataracts lol ! But there they were ! Its amazing though the clarity in which I can see now in my right eye.

Cant wait for the left one to be done. After my right eye was done and I went in the following day for the dr to examine my eye, I was amazed that my right

eye tested 20/20 vision. Getting older sucks lol ! I swear in the last 3 months Ive had more dr appointments than I have had in years - combined ! lol !

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Moonstar said:

Im 55 and the dr said I was too young to have cataracts lol ! But there they were ! Its amazing though the clarity in which I can see now in my right eye.

Cant wait for the left one to be done. After my right eye was done and I went in the following day for the dr to examine my eye, I was amazed that my right

eye tested 20/20 vision. Getting older sucks lol ! I swear in the last 3 months Ive had more dr appointments than I have had in years - combined ! lol !

Nice on the 20/20 vision     :icon_highfive:

Sorry to hear about the dr appointments though, hope it's nothing serious!

• Like 1