wet spots are driving me crazy!

Hi guys ... just wondering if there is ANYTHING I can do to help prevent these bloody wet spots?! I am using GW464 soy wax ... heating to 90c adding f/o around 80c and pouring .  I tried pouring cooler , but my tops don't look as smooth. I use 8-9% f/o... it is winter where I live and I have a combustion fire going in the day . At night I put lids on and huddle them together ... but my hubby left the hall door open and it was freezing in the morning .... wet spots started :( they are growing! LOL I have a bit of clar glass I wanted to make up for xmas , but they look so ugly

.Any advice would be greatly appreciated! thanks

1 hour ago, obsessed said:

Hi guys ... just wondering if there is ANYTHING I can do to help prevent these bloody wet spots?! I am using GW464 soy wax ... heating to 90c adding f/o around 80c and pouring .  I tried pouring cooler , but my tops don't look as smooth. I use 8-9% f/o... it is winter where I live and I have a combustion fire going in the day . At night I put lids on and huddle them together ... but my hubby left the hall door open and it was freezing in the morning .... wet spots started :( they are growing! LOL I have a bit of clar glass I wanted to make up for xmas , but they look so ugly

.Any advice would be greatly appreciated! thanks

There is nothing you can do about wet spots. Literally. I mean, you can work very long and very hard on preventing them, but as soon as the atmosphere in which you worked so hard on to prevent them changes, they will come back. 

There are several threads about this topic that you can search here on the forum, but quite honestly the only people who notice or care about the wet spots are us chandlers. Literally nobody else cares or even KNOWS what they are. They just assume it is an aesthetic of the candle. After a few years of worrying about them, I finally gave up, and don't try to prevent them anymore. Hasn't hurt a dang thing, and NOT ONE customer has ever brought them up or mentioned them even in the slightest. They simply just do not care. 

What customers do care about is a good smelling good burning candle they feel they get their money's worth for. That's basically about it. 

• Like 2

Make yourself feel better and go into just about any store that carries soy candles and start looking at them closely.  You will surely find wet spots. Even the big companies.

I used to heat gun the sides, warm the jars, cool super slowly in the oven (turned off).  They come back about 80% of the time.  It just wasn't worth my time so now I embrace them.

They are here to stay in my case.  I don't dye so they aren't as obvious as a dyed candle.  You can use an opaque jar, such as the milkglass, black or silver or a dark colored and will see them less or not at all.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Jcandleattic said:

There is nothing you can do about wet spots. Literally. I mean, you can work very long and very hard on preventing them, but as soon as the atmosphere in which you worked so hard on to prevent them changes, they will come back. 

There are several threads about this topic that you can search here on the forum, but quite honestly the only people who notice or care about the wet spots are us chandlers. Literally nobody else cares or even KNOWS what they are. They just assume it is an aesthetic of the candle. After a few years of worrying about them, I finally gave up, and don't try to prevent them anymore. Hasn't hurt a dang thing, and NOT ONE customer has ever brought them up or mentioned them even in the slightest. They simply just do not care. 

What customers do care about is a good smelling good burning candle they feel they get their money's worth for. That's basically about it. 

I can confirm what jcandleattic said, today I brought a candle to work to give to a friend.  It is what I consider a "dud", it had a major wet spot and I HATE THEM!  She is a major candle addict (I have converted her from Yankee to me) and is also a major OCD/picky person.  She looked at the candle and asked me what was wrong with it, my response "look at the huge wet spot".  Response:  Whats a wet spot, I don't see anything wrong with this candle.  She then insisted on paying my usual price for the candle.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, njcurley said:

I can confirm what jcandleattic said, today I brought a candle to work to give to a friend.  It is what I consider a "dud", it had a major wet spot and I HATE THEM!  She is a major candle addict (I have converted her from Yankee to me) and is also a major OCD/picky person.  She looked at the candle and asked me what was wrong with it, my response "look at the huge wet spot".  Response:  Whats a wet spot, I don't see anything wrong with this candle.  She then insisted on paying my usual price for the candle.

Hahaha love it! thanks everybody! I won't stress then , I tohught maybe it was just in the curing period they appeared , but if not , as you guys say , DANG IT! LOL I just boughtsome beautiful glassware and its all clear ... something I dont usually bother with because of this reason. I wont fiddle around trying to keep my babies warm at night then if they are all going to go that way anyway. :) Stuff 'em!

Yep, "stuff "em!.....Not a darn thing you can do about it.  I sell to stores and on occasion I get wet spots with 464....not much...then just 2 days ago after pouring about 50 of them....omg!  wet spots like you can't believe! But NO ONE has ever said a thing about "what is all that on the glass?"  Like said, all they care about is a good smelling candle  and it is true.  If you use labels, put the label on the least noticeable side and that helps.  And also not dying candles does not accentuate the look of the wet spots.   So just embrace them and move on.  And yes, do yourself the favor next time you are in a store....check out the grocery stores and look at the candles and you WILL SEE LOTS of wet spotted candles.

Trappeur

I pour into slightly warmed jars and cool slowly in large, well-insulated beverage coolers. Then I store in controlled conditions, in a place where temps are steady.  These steps help a lot. That being said, as soon as I take candles to shows and markets, temperature fluctuations give me occasional wet spots.  Can't be helped. And I cannot control temps when shipping, so I imagine customers receiving orders in cool weather are going to have wet spots. Nobody has complained in many years of business though. So  I don't stress out about wet spots. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/2/2017 at 8:38 AM, Crafty1_AJ said:

I pour into slightly warmed jars and cool slowly in large, well-insulated beverage coolers. Then I store in controlled conditions, in a place where temps are steady.  These steps help a lot. That being said, as soon as I take candles to shows and markets, temperature fluctuations give me occasional wet spots.  Can't be helped. And I cannot control temps when shipping, so I imagine customers receiving orders in cool weather are going to have wet spots. Nobody has complained in many years of business though. So  I don't stress out about wet spots. 

Wet spots are something that you have no control over so don't worry about them........if you candles burn efficiently and smell good, that all you need to worry about

• Like 1