Testing your soap for zap.....ugh

debratant

So, I have been soaping for a long while now, about 8 years I guess? Anyway....

I do not not not like doing this.  To the point that I just don't until at least 4 weeks or more.

I have never felt a zap when I have been brave enough to do it....thank goodness.

But, the last batch I made, I just feel I should stick my tongue on there sooner and test it and I can't do it!!!!!

Let me explain by saying that I tend to attract static electricity. In the winter I spend more time trying

to avoid touching metal, because darn it....I get zapped everytime! All day at work, going to our big

metal file cabinets, I kinda do a tap with the elbow first, before I touch it with my hand. Everytime, zap.

Static electricity hurts, I don't like it,  I don't find it funny at all! LOL  You might even say, I have a fear of it now, because

I've had some real doozies haha.

Anyway...knowingly sticking the tip of my tongue on my soap and maybe feeling a zap?  Ummm...can't do it.

Everyone says it feels like when you stick your tongue on a battery, ummmm, what does that feel like because

I just don't do that, so I do not know!  I think I did it as a kid for some oddball reason, but I can't remember at

48 what the heck that felt like.

So I do have some PH test strips....and those seem to work, but they cost money and for free I could just use my tongue

if I could just put on my big girl panties and do it....

Sooooo what exactly does it feel like?  Tingly? Zap like a static electricity zap? Or like you were electrocuted (my mind thinks that one) lol

• Like 1

The only time I zap, is if something seems to have gone wonky. Like if the soap is "wet" looking for longer that it should be. 

When I zap test I do it like TT described, I wet my finger, rub that on the soap, then lick my finger. If you get a zap you will know it. It's a strong tingle. Exactly like an electric shock like you have described debratant. 

I wouldn't use the pH strips. They are notoriously unreliable for pH testing soap, and inaccurate. 

• Like 1

Ok, so I did it today.  I wet my finger, rubbed it on the soap and touched that to my tongue.  Nothing, tasted like soap. 

I have never had a lye heavy batch to my knowledge, but the batch I made that turned to mashed potatoes 2 weeks ago was a bit

damp for a day....but since has dried out, so I assume it was the fragrance oil leaching out.  But just wanted to be sure.  That batch 

was strange because it turned to mashed potatoes before I put the fragrance in.  I'm sure it was because my soaping kitchen was 

so cold, in hindsight.

• Like 1

Unlike TT... I lick my soap, like a SICK version of Mr. Wimple...  o.O Don't judge me...

(STAHPIT! You ARE judging me! I can FEEL it!) 

Well, I USED to lick my soap. I do the wet finger in the ear thing like J and TT describe.  O.o mebbe...
What does it feel like? Well, it feels like putting a caustic substance onto a very sensitive bit of your anatomy... You won't WONDER if there is actually any free lye still loose, it's not what I consider "unpleasant" unless I don't wash it off... Then YEAH it eff'n HURTS just like being burned, which is coincidentally exactly what happened. 

Come on Debra! Get in there and git some! LICK IT! LICK THE SOAP! It's better'n skittles cause instead of tasting the rainbow you see stars!

I'm kidding... Snot that bad... 

Sponiebr: THE Executor of Bad Idea and Sundry Services. :biggrin:

• Like 1

I did the zap test exactly once. Frankly I just don't like the taste of soap in my mouth. Triple ick!! I just don't see it as a necessity. I generally try out a piece of new soap a day or two after I cut up and wash with it. Also, I handle raw soap the next day to cut it barehanded. If I am going to run into a lye heavy or lye pocket situation I can find out using those methods. Sorry, I am just not going to taste it.

Also, the soapmaking books I have warn against using the ph strips citing them as a very inaccurate way to test.

Edited by Candybee

lol, lol, lol....don't mind me....I usually never click on this section of the forum as I don't do soaps and don't understand a word what anyone talks about any way,....but I just got such a laugh and kick out of reading this thread.....but you guys lick your soaps for testing?   For real? lol.....I'm just in a silly mood and just started cracking up reading this.....shows you what I don't know.....

And Sponey......well, what can I say?  Your posts always shine when you have something to say, cause it is so off the wall and you are so hilarious!

Trappeur

• Like 2