Three Wick Questions

1.  Are all wicks the same even though purchased from different companies?  So an HTP83 wick would be the same from Fillmore, Candlewic, etc.

2.  If a person gets a good flame size, container not hot, no hangup, but there is a mushroom as it burns, should a different wick be tried?

3.  When testing wicks in a container different from what you've always used, no fragrance, same wax, do you still wait 2 weeks to burn?  I read somewhere on this forum that you should wait at least 3 days.  Just wondering what you all do.

Goldie

I believe a company called Atkins & Pearce has the market for htp's -- not sure if there is more than one manufacturer.  If it's the same supplier, then it doesn't matter where you buy them. 

If I have a wick that mushrooms more than preferred, I try a different wick.

If I'm simply testing a wick and I didn't use any scent, I don't know that I would feel a need to wait two weeks -- I believe much of the additional curing time is so the scent binds with the wax.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GoldieMN said:

1.  Are all wicks the same even though purchased from different companies?  So an HTP83 wick would be the same from Fillmore, Candlewic, etc.

2.  If a person gets a good flame size, container not hot, no hangup, but there is a mushroom as it burns, should a different wick be tried?

3.  When testing wicks in a container different from what you've always used, no fragrance, same wax, do you still wait 2 weeks to burn?  I read somewhere on this forum that you should wait at least 3 days.  Just wondering what you all do.

Goldie

1 - depends - sometimes even if different suppliers get it form the same manufacturer if they get it raw at the time, then the coating could be different. If you are talking raw wick, then no, it shouldn't matter. 

2 - also depends on how big the mushroom is. Some wicks are just prone to mushrooming. I use zinc wicks which tend to mushroom more than other wicks, however, I've gotten my testing down to where I rarely get them, but with heavier scents, it's sometimes unavoidable, but they are small, and not worth worrying too much about. 

3 - What wax are you using? I use paraffin and always wait at least 5 days regardless of scent. If using soy, I would probably wait 2 weeks whether it's scented or not, just so the scenario's in testing are the same whether with scent or not. (hope I'm making sense) 

• Like 1

When testing with soy the burn is very, very different at 3 days versus 1 week, versus 3+ weeks.

when you are very familiar with your wax, and test consistently every time, 3 days might be fine to make the assessment of how the candle will burn if on the customer's shelf for a much longer time. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jcandleattic said:

3 - What wax are you using? I use paraffin and always wait at least 5 days regardless of scent. If using soy, I would probably wait 2 weeks whether it's scented or not, just so the scenario's in testing are the same whether with scent or not. (hope I'm making sense) 

Using 464 so I better wait the two weeks. Thanks.

Goldie

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/16/2017 at 7:37 PM, GoldieMN said:

1.  Are all wicks the same even though purchased from different companies?  

I usually buy my zincs 51-32-18 from Peak which are primed with a high melt wax 212, however, I am now placing an order at Candlewic and was thinking about adding these wicks in the order but they prime them with a 160 degree wax coating.  How would the coatings effect the way my candle burns?  Using combo of 4627 + 4786.

• Like 1