HELP! Why are my candles doing this?

Hi there,

I am brand new to candle making and to this site. I was looking for some help on figuring out what is going wrong with my soy candles! It looks like they are burning/tunneling very quickly due to air bubbles around the wick. For my soy wax I am using C-3 naturewax and melting is at 185 degrees. I am adding fragrance at 175 degrees.

I also heated up the glass jars for the candles. For the first candle, I poured (slowly) at 135 degrees. The second candle I poured (slowly) at 120 degrees. I am also using ECO 10 wicks. 

Can anyone help me figure out what is going wrong with the candles?

Thank you!

IMG_5666.JPG

IMG_5667.JPG

It's probably the wick or wick size.  Try HTP or Cotton Core wicks, I find they work best with C3, some have luck with CDN wicks also.  Also are you poking relief holes around the wicks and then doing a repour?  It helps with the bubbles.  You can also try pouring down the wick instead of away from it.  There are many things that can create bubbles and tunneling but most common is incorrect wick or size.

Edited by kandlekrazy

Ditto what KK Said.  I use htp wicks with the c3 wax.  Also cd's I've used.  I've never used eco's.  Maybe someone can advise what size eco to try if that is all you have.   If I am seeing right, aren't there some bubbles around that wick?  If those are bubbles, it looks like you had some air pockets in the wax and yes, that would be a good reason the candle is tunneling.  You poured at a good stage though.  Like KK said, poke some holes around the wick b/4 the 2'nd repour.  Did you do a repour?    Also,  how long have your candles been sitting since you poured them?

Trappeur

I use C3. The bubbles around the wick, if I am reading your question correctly, are caverns or cavities. I have this happen on occasion with C3 and other waxes. Solved for me by pouring that wax cooler, and poking relief holes if needed, then a re-pour. 

There is a hole beneath the wax surface. When the little cover of wax melts the melted wax drains quickly into the empty space. Makes it look like tunneling. Sometimes the flame flares up then snuffs out. 

ECO 10 in that wax with that size jar will actually be much too hot when the candle burns as it should. 

• Like 1