votive pours and repours?

I was wondering how many of you make votives? For those of you that do, how many re-pours do you make? I pour the first pour, then re-pour a second time. About 10-15 minutes after the 2nd pour, I do a 3rd one to top it off. I don't like any pits in the top of the votive candles. The 3rd pour can be tricky because if you wait to long the top looks splotchy, if you do it to soon it's pretty useless because you will get a dip around the wick anyway.

My husband and I are going back and forth on this, he doesn't seem to think a dip at the wick of a votive candle is a big deal, he says no one will notice it. I, on the other hand, like the tops as level as I can get them, I think they look nicer. He says I have a "sickness" (i'm sure he is joking,,, I think ;)  ) 

I fill mine almost to the height of where I am going to stop and then let it firm up to almost hard usually a couple hours and then do my final (second repour) on top.

But it is a very thin thin thickness.  Just enough to skim over the top.

Trappeur

I fill mine to where it's bubbling over the rim, but doesn't spill (kwim?) and let cool for a couple hours, then it's shrunk and dipped enough it needs a second pour. I never have to do a 3rd pour. 

As others have said, if it dips a little after the second pour a heat gun is my friend. 

The only time I get that though is if I pour the second pour too hot.. 

I use paraffin, CBL 141...and I fill it up to the where the rim starts.  Sometimes I wait a couple of hours and fill to the top of the rim.

Sometimes I don't even get to it till the next day.  I pour a tad hotter on the second pour.

I use PB Amd 415 and use the metal molds that have the lip so they are wider and rounded out a touch on the top - I don't use the flat tops so I cannot use a heat gun but I have never had to and I only do 2 pours 

after my first pour up to the top where it is flat and when it's set up enough about an hour maybe even less I do a second pour and pour it to where it starts to "fall out" of the mold but it really doesn't....and sets beautifully with a perfect lip then I wait about 24 hours before taking them out and getting the wick pins out 

Edited by moonshine

Personally I think you are overthinking and over critical. We tend to be that way about our own creations. I don't know anyone who does a third repour. A second should be sufficient.

Best method for pouring votives is like JC described. Pour your wax to the very top of the votive and slightly rounded just above the top but doesn't drip. This takes some practice. For the second pour make sure you heat the wax 10 degrees hotter than the original pour. Then cover the entire top with the repour to level the top only.

My votives always have a slight "mound" around the wick. I think it looks fine that way. If any tops have a flaw, which is the exception rather than the rule, I then use my heatgun to level it.

On 2/6/2017 at 2:01 AM, Incendia said:

I don't sell my candles/votives.  I want them to look nice, but not necessarily perfect. I want them to look like they are handmade. I consider that a feature not a flaw. :)

I was just curious....and I'm not being smart alicky or anything like that at all.....but what does a handmade candle look like?

Trappeur

1 hour ago, Trappeur said:

I was just curious....and I'm not being smart alicky or anything like that at all.....but what does a handmade candle look like?

Handmade as opposed to machine/mass produced. Touched by human hands. What most people here make in their own kitchens/craftrooms/workshops/garage/basements. Although they look good to me, mine are probably far less polished than most of what you-all make. :)

Years ago when I used to sell a lot of artsy things (not candles), buyers preferred things made by real people. When I used to do calligraphy, one of my teachers told me that an occasional tiny slip of the pen or very, very minor ink spot proved it was hand written as opposed to computer generated. A good thing.

Fractured mythology:  Arachna was a weaver who was extremely proud of her weaving skills. She prided herself on being perfect, the best in the land, and that no one ever would be able to find a flaw in what she produced. To punish her for her pride (only the gods could be perfect), the gods turned her into a spider and decreed that she spend eternity weaving webs and intentionally making at least one mistake. To this day, if you look closely, you can find a flaw in every spider web she still weaves.  ;) 

(edit.. that's how the story was told to me many years ago. There are other versions, some more cruel, and sometimes the name is spelled 'Arachne'. )

Edited by Incendia