Crayola Crayons

Have a few silly questions Id like to run by you folks. 

Have you ever used Crayons to color your wax instead of tradition liquid or dye blocks?

Does anyone know what type of paraffin Crayolas are made from? I know the majority of a Crayola is paraffin wax and then a few other non-toxic "rub-in" additives, but I cant seem to figure out which type of paraffin exactly they use.

Thanks.

I think I am more trying to replicate a crayon more than use them as is. I also want to make a few personilized wax stamp seals and a good way to DIY those is to take a 2:1 ratio of crayon:glue stick and make a plyable wax for wax stamp sealing. Hence the reason for wanting to clone my own crayons but am not sure which type of parrafin makes that softer crayon feel. If that makes sense lol

• Like 1

For candles? Or are you trying to create crayons? 

Moonstar is correct, you shouldn't color your candles with crayons, as they are typically made with pigment coloring which can and will clog your wick. 

Honestly, I don't know if I would want to create my own crayons, because it's just as cheap to buy them. 

I think if I were to try though, I'd use a creamy paraffin blend such as the pre-production blend that C&S carries. I LOVE that wax and it's a soft - ish pillar wax that is incredibly creamy. 

• Like 1

I get what you are trying to do. I made my own wax seals using glue stick, mica that I have for soap and beeswax. They work great. Just keep playing with the proportions until you have one that works well. 

The one one I made for bottle seals was a little more "flowy" to dip and run while still hold the stamp impression and cool quickly.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jcandleattic said:

For candles? Or are you trying to create crayons? 

Moonstar is correct, you shouldn't color your candles with crayons, as they are typically made with pigment coloring which can and will clog your wick. 

Honestly, I don't know if I would want to create my own crayons, because it's just as cheap to buy them. 

I think if I were to try though, I'd use a creamy paraffin blend such as the pre-production blend that C&S carries. I LOVE that wax and it's a soft - ish pillar wax that is incredibly creamy. 

2 hours ago, TallTayl said:

I get what you are trying to do. I made my own wax seals using glue stick, mica that I have for soap and beeswax. They work great. Just keep playing with the proportions until you have one that works well. 

The one one I made for bottle seals was a little more "flowy" to dip and run while still hold the stamp impression and cool quickly.

JC, Im not trying to MAKE candle NOR crayons, I just wanted to know what type of paraffin gives crayola crayons that softer creamier feel than the typical rock solid, brick-type paraffin. 

TT, when you made your seals do you remember the type of paraffin you used? Not for dipping, for just run of the mill stamp type sealing. 

Thanks

1 minute ago, Clear Black said:

JC, Im not trying to MAKE candle NOR crayons, I just wanted to know what type of paraffin gives crayola crayons that softer creamier feel than the typical rock solid, brick-type paraffin. 

Oh okay. Sorry can't help you. I don't know what kind of wax it is. I'm sure it's some sort of proprietary blend. 

10 minutes ago, Candybee said:

Talltayl posted that she used beeswax and combined it with glue stick and soap mica.

i missed that thanks. I would think the beeswax would make the wax seal brittle, but I have some here I use for lip balms I will give a try. Thanks for pointing that out :P

49 minutes ago, Clear Black said:

TT, when you made your seals do you remember the type of paraffin you used? Not for dipping, for just run of the mill stamp type sealing. 

Thanks

Beeswax with the glue stick worked marvelously. I use white beeswax with my many colors of mica. Shimmery seals in a rainbow of colors :) 

• Like 1

It's been a long time since I have seen people use sealing wax. I think I only used it twice in my lifetime and it was to seal some letters on parchment paper so it would look old fashioned.

I can imagine that a deep color with shimmers in it would look awesome for a sealing wax! I wish more people would bring it back. I think it was a lovely tradition you just never see much around except in historic setting dramas and movies.

I think I may start a Christmas tradition and seal my holiday cards with sealing wax. Now I have to remember where to get a good seal!

Edited by Candybee
  • Like 1

Interesting ... about two weeks ago, I was looking through a box of old stationery and in it there was a box with some sealing wax materials that I had given my late grandmother as a gift decades ago, she must have liked it, as she had added to the collection just a bit.  I thought of taking it out and using it sometime too.

• Like 1

@Clear Black I've got a sack of Russian brown (looks like milk chocolate) postal sealing wax in chunk form. There's still several good size pieces in there. The Russians still use the old fashioned hard sealing wax for official items and they have a hot pot that they melt it down in and then just ladle a dollop out onto what they need sealed and hit it with the seal. If you'd like some PM me as I don't really have any use for it these days. The old sealing wax (brittle stuff) was/is made with a large portion of pine rosin, chalk, and a little beeswax to act as a melt moderator and they're probably shellac and a little stearic acid in there too. The stuff REEKS of turpentine laced pine rosin when hot.   

Sponiebr

• Like 2

On 12/20/2016 at 6:33 PM, TallTayl said:

Is there anything you can't so ?? lol ! You amaze me :) I love the idea of making wax seals, can't say Im as ambitious as you are. Would be kinda cool though.

21 hours ago, Candybee said:

It's been a long time since I have seen people use sealing wax. I think I only used it twice in my lifetime and it was to seal some letters on parchment paper so it would look old fashioned.

I can imagine that a deep color with shimmers in it would look awesome for a sealing wax! I wish more people would bring it back. I think it was a lovely tradition you just never see much around except in historic setting dramas and movies.

I think I may start a Christmas tradition and seal my holiday cards with sealing wax. Now I have to remember where to get a good seal!

Ive seen them at Michaels - Hobby Lobby + Etsy .... Oh, I agree , they do add a charming, old fashion look. I love small details in packaging - so pretty :) 

But is it glittery? I doubt a craft store would have shimmering sealing wax. You have to make your own like TT. Or perhaps add the shimmer mica to it but then would that work?

Since I have glue sticks, shimmering mica, and the white beeswax that TT uses I could just make it myself. I'm sure Michael's sells their's way overpriced anyway and I bet the homemade stuff is better.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Candybee said:

But is it glittery? I doubt a craft store would have shimmering sealing wax. You have to make your own like TT. Or perhaps add the shimmer mica to it but then would that work?

Since I have glue sticks, shimmering mica, and the white beeswax that TT uses I could just make it myself. I'm sure Michael's sells their's way overpriced anyway and I bet the homemade stuff is better.

Your right, I didn't catch the glimmery part. Now you guys got me really wanting to try this ! I'm going to see if TT will give directions . So from what your saying, you cut a glue stick to get the glue out of it & it's then mixed with the white beeswax & mica ? 

You all are so clever & talented, 

what a great group ??

From memory, and I usually have to play with the right consistency. I was working on this bar my renaissance bee brand packaging. 

Starting blend for wax seals By weight:

2 parts glue sticks

1part beeswax

1/8-1/4 teaspoon of mica from my soap making collection. Glitter may even work. Go nuts. 

put all in a small metal container and warm over a heat source. Double boiler might work, but I work in tiny amounts in a small metal mold I no longer use right on my griddle. As it melts you will see the mica swirling around.

pour a drop onto wax paper and press your seal into it. Anything works from traditional metal seals to metal buttons, etc. You will need to figure out the right timing with your blend and stamp. Too soon and it might be too thin of an impression or it might stick to the stamp oddly. Too long and it might be too hard to stamp and get good detail. I spent maybe two or three tries per session and figure it out. 

If it is too brittle, return the cold wax blend from the wax paper to the heat and add more glue stick. (Should pop or peel from the wax paper easily enough.) Not all glue sticks are made with the same formula, so you get to play. 

When I need something runnier I work quicker. For example, I bought typical 15 ml Amber bottles with ugly plastic caps. To seal so they looked the period I dipped the whole top of the filled bottle in the molten blend, let a little excess drop down the bottle and stamped my bee in the top. Looked in the photo archives of my backups and can't find a pic. If I get to the shop I'll make more and take a few shots. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

From memory, and I usually have to play with the right consistency. I was working on this bar my renaissance bee brand packaging. 

Starting blend for wax seals By weight:

2 parts glue sticks

1part beeswax

1/8-1/4 teaspoon of mica from my soap making collection. Glitter may even work. Go nuts. 

put all in a small metal container and warm over a heat source. Double boiler might work, but I work in tiny amounts in a small metal mold I no longer use right on my griddle. As it melts you will see the mica swirling around.

pour a drop onto wax paper and press your seal into it. Anything works from traditional metal seals to metal buttons, etc. You will need to figure out the right timing with your blend and stamp. Too soon and it might be too thin of an impression or it might stick to the stamp oddly. Too long and it might be too hard to stamp and get good detail. I spent maybe two or three tries per session and figure it out. 

If it is too brittle, return the cold wax blend from the wax paper to the heat and add more glue stick. (Should pop or peel from the wax paper easily enough.) Not all glue sticks are made with the same formula, so you get to play. 

When I need something runnier I work quicker. For example, I bought typical 15 ml Amber bottles with ugly plastic caps. To seal so they looked the period I dipped the whole top of the filled bottle in the molten blend, let a little excess drop down the bottle and stamped my bee in the top. Looked in the photo archives of my backups and can't find a pic. If I get to the shop I'll make more and take a few shots. 

TT. What type glue sticks do you use? I bought some at Michaels hobby store and its dang near impossible to get the glue to fully melt. It was in a glass bowl placed in a saucepan, double boiler style, and the glue stayed hard enough for me to not be able to stir in any wax or color chip. The glue was just purchased so I know its a fresh batch. I also tried to microwave the glue with no luck. Im at a loss? 

I usually have the bendy, short multi heat/multi use kind for the mini guns.

Try switching to a metal melting vessel (an unlined food can would do it) and use direct heat. 

If your sticks were for the high heat guns it takes some serious heat to melt them. I have used a heat gun to warm the can before. Took a while. 

Glitter hot glue sticks don't work worth a damn for making a traditional opaque sealing wax seal. Gotta have something to opacify? Opacificate? ( Whut? Don't lookit me like that... I'm hav'n a MOMENT y'all...)  Gotta cloud that glue up with something if you want to see the impression. I used those glitter mini hot glue sticks for our wedding invitations and it was OK as long as I swirled something in there like sealing wax, which was pointless... I ended up using the stickers that came with the Wilton's package. (shrugs, meh.) 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/22/2016 at 1:27 PM, TallTayl said:

Fpour a drop onto wax paper and press your seal into it. Anything works from traditional metal seals to metal buttons, etc. You will need to figure out the right timing with your blend and stamp. Too soon and it might be too thin of an impression or it might stick to the stamp oddly. Too long and it might be too hard to stamp and get good detail. I spent maybe two or three tries per session and figure it out. 

The timing thing does take practice. What I found has helped me with getting a nice crisp impression was to wipe a little petrolatum across the seal and hit the seal quickly with the alcohol burner just to get the grease to flow and then wiping most of the vaseline off, but you DO want some on the seal so when it hits the hot wax it doesn't stick. I also like to keep a block of frozen metal nearby to chill the stamp on in between seals. I do my seals one at a time. One pour, a few seconds pause to let the wax cool a little, and then press the seal, hold for a couple of seconds (you'll get a feel for it.) Then I set the seal back to chill while I moved the next item into position and got the rest of the mess ready. It's tedious, but damn does it look sharp! One other thing... DON'T TOUCH THE Pressed wax seals until they are completely COLD you'll smudge them if they are any kind of warm at all. If you'll let them be, they'll turn out all really pretty and shiny wet looking. You'll need to regrease the seal about every 2 pressings or so, depending on how hot you pour. I tend to pour VERY hot so I only get a maximum of 2 pressings before I have to regrease and let the seal chill completely. A block of dry ice is just DANDY for chilling the seals... (it squeaks and squeals when you put the warm seal on it :D )  I also use regular rosin based traditional sealing wax, usually in sticks. It's not terribly dear stuff if you care to buy it. I *personally* use a type of banker's wax which is pretty brittle. I've been known to mix in a little hot melt to flex it up from time to time. (It's been a LONG time though. I have NO clue where my spoon is.)

You can get the glue gun sticks pretty cheap, and the traditional waxes in sticks aren't bad but do take a little practice and patience. I've not tried the bulked out bottle sealing wax yet, and I really think I should give that a go at some point. I'm just SO pressed at the moment... o.O 

Oh and if you buy the traditional wax in sticks, for the love of everything happy skip the bloody wicked sticks. The wicks SEEM like a good idea until you start getting bits of charred wick into your seals or worse burning bits of wick falling onto your project... I'd just skip the wicks is all I'm say'n. 

Here's some links off of amazon to give you an idea on prices and such. HTH YMW

https://www.amazon.com/DSC-Mart-Glue-Gun-Sealing-Wax/dp/B01M178S17/ref=sr_1_3?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1483443768&sr=1-3&keywords=sealing%2Bwax%2Bsticks&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YOMAYME?th=1

https://www.amazon.com/Bottle-Seal-Wax-Beads-Holiday/dp/B0064OFTOI/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1483445634&sr=8-8&keywords=sealing+wax+beads

-Sponiebr