Oh so many darn suppliers

lovelyscents

I know they are all hit or misses (unfortunately) and personal testing is best.  Even though I have been testing for months, I still have not had the funds to try every scent at every reputable place.  For example: birthday cake, every supplier carries it and it would be nice to buy this oil and test from each supplier, but that is very costly for me.  I would LIKE to narrow my suppliers down to about 6 (hard to do I know!).  I so far use NG, CS, Peak, ICS and Flaming.  Having a hard time with the 6th one.  I am torn between trying Indigo, WSP, FB or Maple Street as my 6th supplier.  If any of you can recommend one of those being on top with more hits vs misses, it would be so gratefully helpful!  Or if you even see one on my list that I already use that you would swap out, that is very helpful as well.  Love this forum and all of you!  Happy holidays :)

• Like 1

I really like Fillmore container for holiday /Christmas oils. Not sure what state your in but I'm only a few states away from them. I rarely get supplies from suppliers

on the opposite coast - way too expensive for shipping. NG is very hit n miss for me so I don't use them very often. 

3 minutes ago, Moonstar said:

I really like Fillmore container for holiday /Christmas oils. Not sure what state your in but I'm only a few states away from them. I rarely get supplies from suppliers

on the opposite coast - way too expensive for shipping. NG is very hit n miss for me so I don't use them very often. 

Honestly, I've had a bit more misses too, so I question why I keep them as a top.  However, so many others rave and swear about them, so I started thinking something I am doing is wrong.  After researching several sources including here, I'm doing things correctly, so I'm not sure.  Even a poll that was created on a Facebook group has NG as the number 1 FO supplier.  

Maybe for B& B and everyone's 

perception of smell is different. 

The ones I've tried from them are either ok or kinda cheap smelling

but again, everyone is different. 

I also like mad oils & RE 

what state are you in ?

Edited by Moonstar

3 minutes ago, Moonstar said:

Maybe for B& B and everyone's 

perception of smell is different. 

The ones I've tried from them are either ok or kinda cheap smelling

but again, everyone is different. 

I also like mad oils & RE 

what state are you in ?

Actually this was a poll in a candle making only group.  I am in Ohio.

1 hour ago, lovelyscents said:

Actually this was a poll in a candle making only group.  I am in Ohio.

If your in Ohio - Id check out how far you are from WSP + Bulk Apothecary - they are both in Ohio :) Theres also a B+B supply co in Ohio too but I don't 

recall the name of them off hand. If I find it later I'll let you know :) 

I've definitely researched suppliers closer to me due to shipping costs.  As far as wax goes...Bulk unfortunately doesn't carry GB wax, NG and TCS don't carry the wax I need and The candlemakers store I think equals out to the same overall total with shipping included as Flaming and I like Scents from Flaming so it makes sense to use them.  I'm not familiar with Scents at Candlemakers store.  Thank you so much for trying to help!

To my nose, Indigo's fragrances are a whole lot like NG's but that's just my opinion. I do like them though but I order from NG quite often, especially their Mrs. Claus Cookies. If I had to pick between WSP, FB or Maple Street, I would go with FB. I've only used Maple Street for their clams and have ordered some samples but haven't put them in wax. FB has a lot of great oils and they have a bigger selection. I love some of WSP's oils but they're kind of high. That's just my opinion, hope that helps!

11 minutes ago, Belinda said:

To my nose, Indigo's fragrances are a whole lot like NG's but that's just my opinion. I do like them though but I order from NG quite often, especially their Mrs. Claus Cookies. If I had to pick between WSP, FB or Maple Street, I would go with FB. I've only used Maple Street for their clams and have ordered some samples but haven't put them in wax. FB has a lot of great oils and they have a bigger selection. I love some of WSP's oils but they're kind of high. That's just my opinion, hope that helps!

Thank you so much, I love all opinions!  Have you tested Indigo in wax or just OOB and so you are saying you would still choose NG over Indigo?  I have seen a lot of luck with FB and I like their selection and that they have reviews.  A lot of people are starting to rave about Maple Street lately, but honestly, I have been researching for over a year and testing for months and barely heard of them until I came across the Facebook poll.  I see the owner advertises alot and comments on every post that is asking for FO or candle supplies.  I understand he may be doing that because all companies need business, but it seems too good to be true in my eyes I guess.  I did have very few oils from WSP due to only offering 2 oz at a time and that to me can get costly quickly when Im still in testing phases.  However, the ones I had sitting here I forgot about last year still seemed strong OOB and I've heard they are of good quality.  I agree with you about being kind of high, even with shipping included, they are still sometimes higher than another supplier that you pay shipping separately.  This definitely has been a long journey already and will continue to be that way Im sure forever since there is always new suppliers and new FOs from suppliers all the time.  argh! lol

11 hours ago, lovelyscents said:

Thank you so much, I love all opinions!  Have you tested Indigo in wax or just OOB and so you are saying you would still choose NG over Indigo?  I have seen a lot of luck with FB and I like their selection and that they have reviews.  A lot of people are starting to rave about Maple Street lately, but honestly, I have been researching for over a year and testing for months and barely heard of them until I came across the Facebook poll.  I see the owner advertises alot and comments on every post that is asking for FO or candle supplies.  I understand he may be doing that because all companies need business, but it seems too good to be true in my eyes I guess.  I did have very few oils from WSP due to only offering 2 oz at a time and that to me can get costly quickly when Im still in testing phases.  However, the ones I had sitting here I forgot about last year still seemed strong OOB and I've heard they are of good quality.  I agree with you about being kind of high, even with shipping included, they are still sometimes higher than another supplier that you pay shipping separately.  This definitely has been a long journey already and will continue to be that way Im sure forever since there is always new suppliers and new FOs from suppliers all the time.  argh! lol

You are defiantly into an addicting business/hobby LOL! I keep saying I'm not going to buy anymore FO's since I have tons and tons that I've never used but every time something new  comes along I feel like I just HAVE to have a sample!

I don't remember exactly which of Indigo's I put in wax but I think I did a couple of them. I'm at Disney World right now and as soon as I get home I'll check and see which ones it was. I think they have some unique oils but they also have some that NG and it appears FB carry too. What I've ordered smelled good OOB though.

WSP has some great oils and I have quite a few of their 2 ounce bottles. I just got some more in when they were having their 35% off sale a week or so ago but haven't put them in wax yet. There are some of theirs that I would love to use but I can't see spending $30 plus on a pound of fragrance that I can get from another supplier half of that cost. Not all of their oils are priced that high though and I don't have a problem using them and even the expensive ones if they are the only ones that carry that oil and I have a need for it. Right now my biggest sellers are anything with leather alone or blended and the manly scents. I honestly don't get that but I live in Texas and Texans LOVE anything that reminds them of a cowboy! LOL!

If there's a particular oil you would like to try from a supplier, let me know. I have tons of one ounce samples that I probably will never use and I would be happy to send them to you if I have what you need. 

You mentioned GB waxes so I am assuming you use soy.....

NG I only use 3 oils from them- most all have been misses for me in 415 But it is a very popular supplier and they may work for you 

I use many suppliers, too many actually but I like the following best for soy

CS

WSP

SC

ELEMENTS 

AH/RE

FC

I also use a few from:

JS

BCN

FB

PFO

DAYSTAR

PEAK

Shipping is ridiculous lately but it's not always cheaper the closer you are - we have a supplier about 3 hours away from me but shipping is way more for wax than ordering from CS and I don't have much time to take a 7-8 road trip to go get it myself, so you can look at few more suppliers and add stuff to your cart and see which one is more practical for you and go from there

WSP pricing is based off shipping included so it does seem high but I found adding 1oil from say CS to my cart with the shipping there isn't much difference going off just 1 bottle ordered 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Belinda said:

You are defiantly into an addicting business/hobby LOL! I keep saying I'm not going to buy anymore FO's since I have tons and tons that I've never used but every time something new  comes along I feel like I just HAVE to have a sample!

I don't remember exactly which of Indigo's I put in wax but I think I did a couple of them. I'm at Disney World right now and as soon as I get home I'll check and see which ones it was. I think they have some unique oils but they also have some that NG and it appears FB carry too. What I've ordered smelled good OOB though.

WSP has some great oils and I have quite a few of their 2 ounce bottles. I just got some more in when they were having their 35% off sale a week or so ago but haven't put them in wax yet. There are some of theirs that I would love to use but I can't see spending $30 plus on a pound of fragrance that I can get from another supplier half of that cost. Not all of their oils are priced that high though and I don't have a problem using them and even the expensive ones if they are the only ones that carry that oil and I have a need for it. Right now my biggest sellers are anything with leather alone or blended and the manly scents. I honestly don't get that but I live in Texas and Texans LOVE anything that reminds them of a cowboy! LOL!

If there's a particular oil you would like to try from a supplier, let me know. I have tons of one ounce samples that I probably will never use and I would be happy to send them to you if I have what you need. 

I am so like you Belinda when it comes to fragrance oils, I'm obsessed with scents!!  Good to hear about Indigo, I guess there were a couple I wanted from Indigo that NG doesn't carry such as waffle cone, jelly doughnut and some dupes.  I was particularly really curious on their PPW.  I again agree with WSP prices.  I don't mind spending a bit more on an awesome oil, but when another supplier can be just as good or very close, it doesn't make sense to spend that much more.  I'm in OH and I actually think I would like leather as well maybe mixed in with some good men Cologne dupe ahhh.  I would so love to try some out if you don't mind!!!  Oh my merry Christmas to me hehe.  Are they older oils or fairly fresh?  I'm still in the testing phases of wax too so it's best to have fresh so I know if it doesn't throw, it's my method and not the oil especially if it's a tried and true FO from a good supplier.  Thank you so much! 

Have fun at Disney :)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, moonshine said:

You mentioned GB waxes so I am assuming you use soy.....

NG I only use 3 oils from them- most all have been misses for me in 415 But it is a very popular supplier and they may work for you 

I use many suppliers, too many actually but I like the following best for soy

CS

WSP

SC

ELEMENTS 

AH/RE

FC

I also use a few from:

JS

BCN

FB

PFO

DAYSTAR

PEAK

Shipping is ridiculous lately but it's not always cheaper the closer you are - we have a supplier about 3 hours away from me but shipping is way more for wax than ordering from CS and I don't have much time to take a 7-8 road trip to go get it myself, so you can look at few more suppliers and add stuff to your cart and see which one is more practical for you and go from there

WSP pricing is based off shipping included so it does seem high but I found adding 1oil from say CS to my cart with the shipping there isn't much difference going off just 1 bottle ordered 

I'm trying out paraffin and soy right now to make my own parasoy blend, so I need at least one supplier with both waxes and good shipping.  So are FOs more touchy with soy or can you fail at throw with paraffin as well?  I am so surprised elements would throw well, I've only ordered from them years ago but for bath and body items.  No idea they would throw in wax, good to know!  I definitely have realized that some have better shipping and it is sometimes farther away.  I agree with you about traveling so far.  WSP I am still on the fence, but may try a couple oils since I need molds anyways.  I am curious about their birthday cake and PPW!!

I know oils I get from RE, WSP, ICS are always going to be top notch. I do use a few from other suppliers that I like but those 3 I know I can depend on.  Price does not determine what supplier I order from.  

Added to say Elements and CC also.

Edited by grama
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, grama said:

I know oils I get from RE, WSP, ICS are always going to be top notch. I do use a few from other suppliers that I like but those 3 I know I can depend on.  Price does not determine what supplier I order from.  

Added to say Elements and CC also.

Hi there Elaine,

Thank you for responding, love your signature quote by the way!  I absolutely 200% feel the same way about spending more if its worth it.  What I mean is if I can find the same FO that throws just as well for a cheaper price, every little bit helps.  Y'all are making me reconsider possibly replacing NG with either RE, Elements or WSP. :lol: 

• Like 1

Thank you for responding, love your signature quote by the way!  I absolutely 200% feel the same way about spending more if its worth it.  What I mean is if I can find the same FO that throws just as well for a cheaper price, every little bit helps.  Y'all are making me reconsider possibly replacing NG with either RE, Elements or WSP

Don't think you will regret using them.  Well don't know how to attach quotes or whatever.  You know the old saying "you can't teach an old dog new tricks" lol 

Edited by grama

On WSP either stay on the lookout for the 25-35% off sales and stock up, or buy kegs and sell the surplus. I can save at least $10 a lb on the 10 lb kegs.

There are only a few things from them I depend on and will happily pay the prices (esp when stocking up during their sales) because they sell so well. Having tried cheaper alternatives and had the finished product sit for a year only to be tossed - the remaining bottles of FO mocking as they age on the shelf - I learned my lesson! Likewise using lower % of a WSP/crafters choice fragrance in products saves too.

same goes for brambleberry. Only a couple of suppliers don't have routine sales (sweetcakes and PFO come to mind). Fragrance laboratories occasionally has sales, making their FO comparable in price to others.

• Like 1

Research swaps really saved me a ton of money early on. Everyone in the swap made one or two items in a fragrance and we all got to see, touch, sniff. I learned quickly that my tastes and preferences are very different from just about everyone else :D 

19 hours ago, lovelyscents said:

I am so like you Belinda when it comes to fragrance oils, I'm obsessed with scents!!  Good to hear about Indigo, I guess there were a couple I wanted from Indigo that NG doesn't carry such as waffle cone, jelly doughnut and some dupes.  I was particularly really curious on their PPW.  I again agree with WSP prices.  I don't mind spending a bit more on an awesome oil, but when another supplier can be just as good or very close, it doesn't make sense to spend that much more.  I'm in OH and I actually think I would like leather as well maybe mixed in with some good men Cologne dupe ahhh.  I would so love to try some out if you don't mind!!!  Oh my merry Christmas to me hehe.  Are they older oils or fairly fresh?  I'm still in the testing phases of wax too so it's best to have fresh so I know if it doesn't throw, it's my method and not the oil especially if it's a tried and true FO from a good supplier.  Thank you so much! 

Have fun at Disney :)

I will get some of those to you as soon as I get home! Please PM me in case I forget. I am old and forgetful LOL! 

The oils I have that you mentioned are fresh. I don't have a sample of the waffle cone from Indigo but I think I have one from WSP and defiantly have it from JS so I will send what I have.

Merry Christmas!

On 12/20/2016 at 10:19 AM, TallTayl said:

On WSP either stay on the lookout for the 25-35% off sales and stock up, or buy kegs and sell the surplus. I can save at least $10 a lb on the 10 lb kegs.

There are only a few things from them I depend on and will happily pay the prices (esp when stocking up during their sales) because they sell so well. Having tried cheaper alternatives and had the finished product sit for a year only to be tossed - the remaining bottles of FO mocking as they age on the shelf - I learned my lesson! Likewise using lower % of a WSP/crafters choice fragrance in products saves too.

same goes for brambleberry. Only a couple of suppliers don't have routine sales (sweetcakes and PFO come to mind). Fragrance laboratories occasionally has sales, making their FO comparable in price to others.

Great idea!  Will do.  Thank you!!

On 12/20/2016 at 10:21 AM, TallTayl said:

Research swaps really saved me a ton of money early on. Everyone in the swap made one or two items in a fragrance and we all got to see, touch, sniff. I learned quickly that my tastes and preferences are very different from just about everyone else :D 

I would have loved to be a part of that!  

On 12/20/2016 at 0:08 PM, Belinda said:

I will get some of those to you as soon as I get home! Please PM me in case I forget. I am old and forgetful LOL! 

The oils I have that you mentioned are fresh. I don't have a sample of the waffle cone from Indigo but I think I have one from WSP and defiantly have it from JS so I will send what I have.

Merry Christmas!

I will try and figure out how to message you through here :)

I wanted to add that Maple Street has the best Pumpkin pecan Waffle in my opinion . I tried Maple Streets 20 sampler bottles for $27 & was super pleased with most of the ones I ordered. Maple Street has some very good quality oils & the 1 oz, sampler deal is a low priced great deal. I used Tennessee  PPW until they went out of business & searched for a replacement from 6 different co.. I did settle on Maple streets ,gave me the best throw in my wax compared to TCS. I highly recommend  this company forjust starting out. You will find some scents you cannot do without. .It can be costly when starting out & Maple street has a lot of winners IMO. The ones I have tested with very good results are the PPW, Iced Lemon danish, Oats milk & Honey (SUPER STRONG HONEY SCENT) Apple Wreath ,Jingle Berry Wreath (LOVE THIS ONE), Bite Me, Amber & Sandalwood, Spiced Cranberry, Vanilla Pumpkin Marshmallow, Peach Magnolia Raspberry (FANTASTIC).Maple Street oils are very  similar to Tennessee. Their website is so similar to TCS as well.. I still have more to test & definitely added this company to one of my favorite suppliers. I do recommend Aztec for value prices & low shipping cost. You will find some wonderful oils from Flaming , Fragrance Buddy ,Candlescience, Indiana for bakery scents , Aztec & Maple Street. I have used Peak & Candlewic for some scents that are must haves for me. Peak & Flaming both offer sampler deals as well.. I have also purchased some good ones from The Candlemakers Store. It would be so nice to be able to buy all the oils we love from one company .The shipping can be so costly when buying from so many. I am going to try & narrow my suppliers down to only 5 LOL ,probably not going to happen. You all got me wanting to try INDIGO oil now. I just want to add that I definitely recommend Maple Street when starting out .The sampler offer is awesome & low cost flat rate shipping. Aztec also offers great deals on newly added scents on their 1 Pound bottles ,also 5 for 5 dollar samples with monthly coupon codes. I love their oils & customer service is wonderful. Gosh so sorry for the long response ,just trying to help. I know how costly it can be when first starting out. Definitely try MS PPW :)

I use paraffin for my wax melts. I also have had some good results with Aztec soy tart blend . I just do not have much patience for cure time ,some are certainly worth the wait thou.I wish you a wonderful happy future with your wax crafting. I am a newbie here myself. There are so many amazing people on here to help with just about anything you need to know. I feel blessed to have them all to share with .Welcome to the board ,Kat :)

Happy shopping with your oils & hope you find some great oils .Please do check out Maple street PPW & their sampler offer. Also REINDEER is the code for Aztec this month .They also have a new scent Bayberry Fig sale priced.

• Like 1

Kat,

No need to apologize on a long paragraph, I love reading about this.  You are so wonderful and so is this board!!  I am also very thankful for this forum, I think the support from everyone is amazing.  I honestly feel like I have true friends here, sometimes more than the ones in person haha.  I did have a sampler ready from Maple Street and closed out, I dont remember why.  I guess I just see EVERYONE recommending and loving Maple Street that I felt it was too good to be true or because its not really been heard of much until now.  Plus usually I can find pretty much anything I can think of on here and there wasnt much on MS.  Maybe I am paranoid and it really is that good.  I will definitely purchase the sampler then, you have me convinced lol.  Definitely see how shipping from so many suppliers adds up now that Ive been doing it.  I also wish we could get oils from the same supplier, or heck maybe even 3 would be nice!  I guess at least I am seeing now that my choices for my main suppliers seem on point except for NG, I now am on the fence about them.  I kept them in my main squeeze of suppliers due to everyone else raving about them, but I am not so sure.  Ugh, it never ends.  I know everyone has different preferences and only I can test and know whats right for me, but geeze lol.  I also like paraffin and parasoy vs just soy, I think it makes the FOs slightly less picky for a wonderful scent.  So far Flaming and Aztek are only a $3 difference in my total price of just wax and shipping included.  Indigo just has so many unique, fun ones is why I really thought about trying them.  Ive had some of their oils mostly used in bath, but I did try the funnel cake in wax and the throw was AMAZING and lasted 12-14 hours!  Maybe I randomly picked a good thrower though, I know some scents are just stronger than others naturally prior to adding to products.  Not to mention, that was 1 oil from them and I know each supplier has good and bad.  Please, please let me know what you think of Indigo if you try them!! :)