Carbonated wax?

Wth...I ordered a new batch of wax about a month ago and am now just starting to use it. While melting the wax I noticed millions of tiny bubbles coming from the wax as it melted, giving the wax the look of carbonated water. I have never seen this happen and use the same wax from Candle Science as I always have. Also, when I added my FO this time, it took me 3 times as long to incorporate it while stirring. And I had to eventually pour before the wax hardened again, but the FO still wasnt fully incorporated. These are just testers so I am not selling, but what could be causing this carbonated effect in this wax? 4627 wax, same supplier as always. Nothing has changed. ?

3 hours ago, Clear Black said:

Wth...I ordered a new batch of wax about a month ago and am now just starting to use it. While melting the wax I noticed millions of tiny bubbles coming from the wax as it melted, giving the wax the look of carbonated water. I have never seen this happen and use the same wax from Candle Science as I always have. Also, when I added my FO this time, it took me 3 times as long to incorporate it while stirring. And I had to eventually pour before the wax hardened again, but the FO still wasnt fully incorporated. These are just testers so I am not selling, but what could be causing this carbonated effect in this wax? 4627 wax, same supplier as always. Nothing has changed. ?

How hot is the wax? I'm thinking water? I don't know much about these things but isn't this a pre-blended wax that has like (for lack of a better term) plasticizers in it? If that plastizier happens to be an organic oil it might be water. 

I have no idea, to be perfectly honest. 

1 hour ago, Sponiebr said:

How hot is the wax? I'm thinking water? I don't know much about these things but isn't this a pre-blended wax that has like (for lack of a better term) plasticizers in it? If that plastizier happens to be an organic oil it might be water. 

I have no idea, to be perfectly honest. 

It happened during melt. So as soon as it changed from ots solid state into a liquid it was releasing what looked like carnation since there were literally thousands of tiny little bubbles. I think the melting point is 120* ish give or take s bit... but I did everything as ive always done with the wax. I will be doing a second test tomorrow after work and if the results are the same I will be asking CS for a refund.

I'm experiencing something similar with Millcreek's natural votive blend that arrived just before T-day--it's their mix, so I don't know their manufacturer.   I assumed water initially, but I've let the wax harden in the Presto, and there is not water in the bottom of the pot when it re-solidifies.    Second try...more bubbles.   I heated it to a temperature that should have resulted in sizzling and popping if there were water vapor trying to escape...so not water.    It is very, very odd though.  

@Clear Black@KrisS,

I don't know that molecular water would sizzle or pop necessarily. I wonder if either they didn't just mix some air into the batch by accident, or if maybe one of the plasticizers has a lower than expected boiling point. You could put a cold plate over the top of the pot and it will collect the evaporant. Which might make it easier to figure out what the stuff is, methanol, water, light fractionated oil... 

7 hours ago, Sponiebr said:

@Clear Black@KrisS,

I don't know that molecular water would sizzle or pop necessarily. I wonder if either they didn't just mix some air into the batch by accident, or if maybe one of the plasticizers has a lower than expected boiling point. You could put a cold plate over the top of the pot and it will collect the evaporant. Which might make it easier to figure out what the stuff is, methanol, water, light fractionated oil... 

I only have a small stash that I'd purchased for testing purposes.  When it's gone, it's gone, so no worries. :)    Was just sharing with the crowd.    I emailed Millcreek to see if they can replicate--I know I'd want to know if one of my branded products was behaving oddly.   Love, love, love their FOs, btw.   

FWIW, I received a batch of 4627 from Candlemakers Store a few months back that also behaved oddly. In the bag, it had white, frothy patches. I don't recall the bubbles during melt but experienced the same difficulties getting FOs to blend. I ended up buying another 25 lbs from Lonestar to compare. The FOs that were so problematic (cinnamons and blueberry in particular) did just fine in the Lonestar batch. 

I have been searching without success for the earlier threads here aout C3 and bubbles. It happens to my wax too. Part of it can be trapped air as the flakes melt and fuse trapping air. 

The veg oils are hydrogenated to make the wax. Could it be escaping hydrogen?

My initial thought is air, but even with trapped air you shouldn't have more difficulty blending, so it's something I would ask the supplier about and let them know your issues. 

Oddly, it isn't just C3 this might happen to. Another stated a votive wax and in my paraffin I've seen it before. 

If it were water you hear it, see it, know it, but it might be whatever process was used to cool the wax caused the problems.