Can you mix candle dyes?

So I am about to place an order for my Winter/ Holiday scents and want to color some of my candles since those have sold faster with my shoppers than my uncolored candles, but many of the scents i want would possibly have the same colors based on what is available with the liquid dyes from candle science ( I have come dye chips and dont really like them in my soy candles for whatever reason).

Can you combine colors to make custom? or do the dyes not mix like paint would?

I only have magenta and a light blue color right now and haven't had time to test mixing them due to moving.

Yes, I mix my colors all the time to get the color I want. I use several liquid dyes from various places, and to get the exact color I need, I will use a drop of this and a couple drops of that, etc., until I get the color I want. However, if it's something you want to be consistent to get the same color EVERY time, take good notes... That will be a great help to keep things consistent. 1 drop off, and you end up with a completely different color... 

• Like 2

I mix too. They are not always consistent or predicable when mixing between different brands, but they have always mixed for me. Got a few cool surprise hues over the years :D 

I also used up a carton of wax chips blended with liquids for fun, new colors. Thankfully my people are not sticklers about perfectly matching colors from batch to batch!

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

May I ask the best way for color testing without wasting tons of wax and oils?  There's got to be a better way than adding a little of this and little of that and simply hoping it comes out what you envisioned in the mixing cup.  Even dropping on wax paper, paper towels etc is a good way to see prior to pouring/cooling but still has me gambling in the mixing cup itself.  Like if I wanted to mix 1 drop of this and 2 drops of another and it's a horrible color in the cup, I just wasted that batch.  I'm not that good at guessing what the color will do or what I need to add to make it what it's supposed to be. The wax starts cooling quicly so time is of the essence, I thought even liquids have to be in a certain temperature for even application.  I definitely know you need a different amount of color depending on how much wax. The toothpick method is nice for testing small batches but seems hard to calculate/convert for larger batches.  I don't want to overthink it and I know testing is key, but it seems to be a bit of a science to get this down when you want to do it right.  Do you all use color charts or just guess?  I think I'm going to test colors without using my oils, this may waste wax but at least it will not waste oils as well in the process.  I know this is supposed to be a fun part in testing so I am trying not to stress too much, but I just want to do it correctly and there's no reason for me to waste wax if there is a better way.  Thank you everyone as always.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/1/2017 at 7:36 AM, lovelyscents said:

May I ask the best way for color testing without wasting tons of wax and oils?  There's got to be a better way than adding a little of this and little of that and simply hoping it comes out what you envisioned in the mixing cup.  Even dropping on wax paper, paper towels etc is a good way to see prior to pouring/cooling but still has me gambling in the mixing cup itself.  Like if I wanted to mix 1 drop of this and 2 drops of another and it's a horrible color in the cup, I just wasted that batch.  I'm not that good at guessing what the color will do or what I need to add to make it what it's supposed to be. The wax starts cooling quicly so time is of the essence, I thought even liquids have to be in a certain temperature for even application.  I definitely know you need a different amount of color depending on how much wax. The toothpick method is nice for testing small batches but seems hard to calculate/convert for larger batches.  I don't want to overthink it and I know testing is key, but it seems to be a bit of a science to get this down when you want to do it right.  Do you all use color charts or just guess?  I think I'm going to test colors without using my oils, this may waste wax but at least it will not waste oils as well in the process.  I know this is supposed to be a fun part in testing so I am trying not to stress too much, but I just want to do it correctly and there's no reason for me to waste wax if there is a better way.  Thank you everyone as always.

Your wax will have some affect on the final color, but start by looking at the color wheel. Red and blue make purple (generally at equal drops),  yellow and blue make green ... the more yellow the differences in the green on the light end ... darker goes darker to a point. Red and yellow make orange usually at equal drops. Some people use black to get a blood red, but you can get it with brown. Something you'll want to do is keep track of your drops so you know what you're getting. Less red will start to bring out the pinks, but don't expect to get a hot pink. 

Your FOs can help change the colors. The really yellow looking ones can apply an off-effect to it. By that I mean if you're working to get a blue and you have a deep yellow, expect to get some green unless you overload the blue. The darker oils that verge on dirty green or almost brown (patchouli can get that way) can overpower non-colored wax. I have a patchouli that gives me a butterscotch color no matter what till it gets used up, but it also eats the heck up of even black so I'm currently experimenting with UV adjustments in hopes it will at least slow down the change. There could end up being some orange looking or reddish-purple colors too. The orange might make it a light peach, but when orange is added to green it can make brown or provide a slight brown/earth hint to your color. 

Hope that's not to confusing.

Depending on how you're coloring, one of the easier ways for me to see what I was getting for a color in wax was to let a drop or two hit something white. You can also pour off some wax and experiment with the colors in plastic cups if you want. There's just not one perfect method to making your own colors. 

• Like 1

I love mixing colors. I found its important to keep notes on your color blends so you can duplicate them from batch to batch. I have a candle recipe spreadsheet with scent and color blends so I know what each candle should have. Makes my life a whole lot easier!:)

• Like 1

First, don't consider the stuff in the cup a waste. You are learning your materials and tools. That knowledge is priceless. When approaching something new as a loss, you don't reach your mind as far as when you change thought paths to let's see what this does.

how much is a little wax in a cup? A few cents? Those cups of color will be use later for something, they always are once you learn more from them. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, TallTayl said:

how much is a little wax in a cup? A few cents? Those cups of color will be use later for something, they always are once you learn more from them. 

I wasn't doing tiny cups to test as it seems you would only use the tip of a toothpick for that amount and it's hard to count how many toothpick dips you would need for an actual 4-8 ounce batch.  Of course I wouldn't sweat over wasting a portion cup of wax.  4 ounces to a half pound seems better for measuring drops, but is more wasteful.