Is there a good tab glue that is removable?

After having many wicks come loose using high temp hot glue, I switched to permatex red (read about it here). The stuff is awesome and does NOT come loose. But, is there anything out there you all use that will hold the tab down yet is still removable once the candle is burned through?

I'm making beeswax candles and so far haven't had any luck trying to scrape the permatex glued tabs out of glass and ceramic holders after the candle is spent.

That permatex silicone really does work I can attest to that.  The few times I used it, I never could get all the glue scraped off the bottom but pretty much all did come off.  Now I was using those for testers for myself and even though it still had silicone residue on the bottom I still used the jar again no problem and glued another wick on top, so if you are using for yourself , you are really ok.

Trappeur

• Like 1

On 9/13/2016 at 2:33 AM, Trappeur said:

That permatex silicone really does work I can attest to that.  The few times I used it, I never could get all the glue scraped off the bottom but pretty much all did come off.  Now I was using those for testers for myself and even though it still had silicone residue on the bottom I still used the jar again no problem and glued another wick on top, so if you are using for yourself , you are really ok.

Trappeur

Thanks for the tip Trappeur. These will be for sale though.

On 9/13/2016 at 9:39 AM, Candybee said:

I am trying out Gorilla Glue hot glue sticks. The package reads it is 5x stronger than other glue sticks. I won't know how good it is until I've used it for a while yet.

Let us know how they work out! The 'extra strong' glue stick glue I used was utterly useless once the hot wax pool hit it, but maybe the Gorilla stuff is better. Are you making beeswax candles?

On 9/13/2016 at 11:16 AM, GoldieMN said:

Is there a reason you are not using the wick stickers?

Goldie

I've never actually tried wick stickers, since I read in multiple reviews saying they simply don't hold all that well. I know there are many different brands, so maybe some of them do a good job.

Thanks for the thoughts crafters!

I love the stickums too.  I've never had one come loose in a burning candle, and they really do come off easily enough.  I pop my jars in the oven on warm to melt the leftover wax, and that heats the jar up just enough to get the stickum off.  Love them.

I use the stickums and, only recently, had a few that didn't stick but that was right away before pouring wax.  I don't wash my brand-new jars but may need to at least wipe the inside bottom before using the stickum as it seemed to happen with one box of jars.

Goldie

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Trappeur said:

Just for thought, I wouldn't sell any candles that have had the jars used......

Trappeur

Completely agree with you here. Did someone suggest otherwise?

Edited by Calex